+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What would you do, enrolling child in school

I'm looking for advice. I been overseas for over a year and my daughter turns 6 in 2 weeks. We just arrived last night.

I'm currently in Sydney with my parents. I have in addition to DD5 a DD who is 4 months old. Still have to do a training program for approximately 10 weeks (unpaid) before I can work in my field, I personally don't want to live in sydney permanently, I feel its too expensive and not the kind of environment I want to raise my kids.. I'm single. So here are my options.

1. Move out of city, do my training program there, have both kids in child care and live off centrelink till I find a job. Which will be hard really hard, financially.

2. Stay with parents for duration of training and get help from my mom with child care. I prefer this option but it leaves me with another dilemma. DD5 schooling, I don't want her to start school only for us to move 3 months down the line. So,
    2a. I give up and settle in sydney so my daughter doesn't have to move schools

2b. Let my mother homeschool her for the time I'm doing training and then enrol her in school when I find a job and settle down. (I'm honestly not sure about homeschooling, don't know if I'm ok with it, just a gut feeling)

Sorry if this is incoherent but I'm really stuck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it were me probably 2 or 2b. Kids are resilient and although neither situation is ideal they are the best of a bad bunch imo. Do you have any idea where u might be living in 3 months? If so maybe contact the school there are discuss with them.

I think as long as your DD gets at least some education so she isn't starting behind when she does start at her 'permanent' school she should be ok.

I would not move and settle solely based on a primary school, but that's just me. I think there are more important things to consider when you do move, school is only one of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't enroll a child in school, knowing I was planning to move soon. 10 weeks is only 1 term and she's only 6.

I'd leave her with your mum, encourage play dates and dance/ swimming / gymnastics classes, or something so she can continue her social skills. Then worry about getting her enrolled into school when you've moved and settled..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id be opting for 2 or 2b. Kids at such a young age can easily be moved to a new school. With homeschooling though would there be requirements and a course that your mum would have to do so that she could home school your child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Id enrol her in school near your parents. It may only be for a term but will be more beneficial than just hanging out at home.

I get that its wont be her permanent thing but will give her something to do each day plus social interaction etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you commit to staying in Sydney till the end of the year? Then move? Your DD could go to school in Sydney for 6 months and you could do your training and then maybe some casual work? Kids are pretty resilient and 6 months is a good stint. I'd avoid every possible scenario that leaves you reliant on benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I am trying to avoid having to rely on benefits.

For those who asked my mom is already homeschooling my siblings, so she's registered and everything