+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hopefully the prospects are better for health sciences! It feels very frustrating to have found something that I actually love and think I would enjoy, but now may not actually be able to do anything with 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a biomedical science degree and regret it. I wish I did nursing. I think you need to have a set career path and possibly go on to do post grad course to have success in science. I haven't worked for quite a few years, but pre kids I did pick up a couple of jobs in the field, but nothing I would want to do long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shebes View Post
    I did a biomedical science degree and regret it. I wish I did nursing. I think you need to have a set career path and possibly go on to do post grad course to have success in science. I haven't worked for quite a few years, but pre kids I did pick up a couple of jobs in the field, but nothing I would want to do long term.
    That's a shame that it didn't work out as good as you'd hoped I was originally looking into this course but one of my lecturers told me that it is really only useful if you wanted to go on to study medicine so that put me off. Can I ask what kind of jobs it did get you tho?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I hear you there... When I went on mat leave there were about 20 in our team, I'm going back next week to a team of 5. I survived three rounds of redundancies I think purely because I was on mat leave! I know so many unemployed people in our field. I'm hanging onto my job with dear life as I know I won't find another if I get the chop. ������
    Oh wow! That is a bit scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the majority of the course went on to do medicine, but a lot of the subjects were the same as the other science degrees, but just more human biology/health fields in 3rd year. Originally I was considering pathology or genetic counselling, but life didn't allow me to do a post grad course. I worked in a research facility lab at a university and also in a lung function testing lab in a hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shebes View Post
    Yes the majority of the course went on to do medicine, but a lot of the subjects were the same as the other science degrees, but just more human biology/health fields in 3rd year. Originally I was considering pathology or genetic counselling, but life didn't allow me to do a post grad course. I worked in a research facility lab at a university and also in a lung function testing lab in a hospital.
    Oh ok, that's interesting to know that it can lead to other things besides medicine. I may just have to put it back on my maybe list... They sound like pretty interesting jobs, but I take it they weren't that great?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They were ok - like a lot of jobs they became very repetitive and didn't pay great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's good to have a look at some career paths and then work back from there. You might enjoy something in a lab or medical field of science, or research.

I know a lot of folk in enviro science and I work in endangered species policy. The jobs are few and far between unfortunately but they are out there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Little Boys Blue  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is just jobs in general are few and far between at the moment especially in mining fields and government I wouldn't let that put you off as the job market changes all the time and it is often just the first job that can be hard to get. Mind you we are always happy to move to where the work is so maybe it is different for us ☺

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-07-2016),Little Boys Blue  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a science degree but I have 5 friends who do. 2 are based here in SA, 1 is going to be out of a job at the end of the year. They are in cancer research only, the other is skin tissue and burns. The other 3 went o/s, 1 in Toronto earning an obscene amount of $ based in health science the other 2 are in Princeton in New Jersey they are also in health sciences

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Little Boys Blue  (04-07-2016)