+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone have a Science degree?

I am in a bit of a pickle at the moment and am hoping hubbers can help me. I started studying nursing at uni this year but now first semester is over, I'm not sure that nursing will be the career for me...

I absolutely loved the biology component of the course and did really well in all of my assessments. I am now thinking of switching to a science degree but am not sure that I can do much with it in the end? Although I'm sure I would love the course, I don't want to waste 3-4 years studying and find that I can't really make a career out of it iykwim?

I have made an appt with the careers counsellor at uni but I was hoping for some real world advice from hubbers beforehand so I can make a more informed decision 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have a bachelor's in environmental science degree that I finished last year

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

Little Boys Blue  (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have an environmental science degree and work in the oil industry. There were great career prospects for science grads when I finished uni 10 years ago, however, not so anymore. There are still jobs out there, just not nearly as many.

What type of science were you thinking of studying?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Opps pressed enter to fast. I am about to start my masters in July as I am not ready to enter the work force as I have a 10 month old and daycare is extremely expensive where we live. There are heaps and heaps of different fields that I can go into with this degree including mining, consulting, politics, national parks and other government jobs, research and many others

7. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying ladies. I was looking at something like biological science or anything to do with the human body really.

That's disheartening to hear there aren't as many jobs out there nowadays 😔

The environmental science degree sounds very versatile! I wonder whether a biological one would be the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a science degree, specifically in biology.

My currently finishing up my phd and love what I do (research)

With a basic undergrad, there are not heaps of jobs, doing an honours year or phd would open up many more options for you.

Pm if you want any more info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pm sent @Thescientist 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another enviro science degree before they were very very popular. I finished in 1996! Eek 20 years ago. There is NOTHING now for the envio side as every second person has one. Jobs are very limited.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Boys Blue View Post
    Thanks for replying ladies. I was looking at something like biological science or anything to do with the human body really.

That's disheartening to hear there aren't as many jobs out there nowadays 😔

The environmental science degree sounds very versatile! I wonder whether a biological one would be the same?
    Sorry I didn't mean to dishearten you! I should clarify that there aren't as many job around for environmental scientists. I'm not sure about health sciences

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Another enviro science degree before they were very very popular. I finished in 1996! Eek 20 years ago. There is NOTHING now for the envio side as every second person has one. Jobs are very limited.
    I hear you there... When I went on mat leave there were about 20 in our team, I'm going back next week to a team of 5. I survived three rounds of redundancies I think purely because I was on mat leave! I know so many unemployed people in our field. I'm hanging onto my job with dear life as I know I won't find another if I get the chop. 😔