+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Southern Gold Coast Schools

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with private schools on the Southern Gold Coast. My DD will be commencing in Prep 2018 and I have put in applications with a few schools but I am worried about our chances of getting in.

We have been accepted into pre prep 2017 at Kings Christian College, however we are not religious and my husband is concerned that it might be a bit much for us. We are quite happy for her to have a religious education (both my husband and I did) and I feel it is important for my daughter to make her own decisions, but I am concerned on sending her to quite possibly the most religious school on the coast. My #1 choice would be St Andrews which we have applied for, but I think it's going to be quite difficult to get in there. Other options would be Hillcrest or Marymount, but I am unsure on the size of the waitlist at these schools.

Does anyone have any feedback on these schools, how long it took you to get your child enrolled and how religion plays a part in their schooling? Other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kings and Hillcrest are both very christian schools. It will be throughout their entire curriculum teaching Christian worldview.
    St andrews is not as 'full on' for lack of better description.
    All very good schools.
    I'm not sure how much Marymount teach religious education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to Marymount in high school and DD1 started prep at Marymount before we moved interstate. I can highly recommend them, they are amazing there! They are a catholic school but don't push it on you, church is not compulsory to attend (we didn't) and the wait list wasn't too bad. I only put DD1 on the list about 6-8 months prior to attending.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. I wasn't aware that Hillcrest was just as religious as King's - their website certainly doesn't push it likes Kings does. Part of the reason I was drawn to Hillcrest is because the former Executive Principal of Varsity College is now there.

I will definitely look into Marymount as well. I might need to do a tour of the campus to get a feel for the schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambelina View Post
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. I wasn't aware that Hillcrest was just as religious as King's - their website certainly doesn't push it likes Kings does. Part of the reason I was drawn to Hillcrest is because the former Executive Principal of Varsity College is now there.

I will definitely look into Marymount as well. I might need to do a tour of the campus to get a feel for the schools.
    I don't know what you have heard about him. .the principal. ..but yeah. My feedback wouldn't be super positive. But that's my personal experience.
    Hillcrest is just as 'Christian ' as Kings. Both great schools with excellent teachers who genuinely care.
    Don't think much of the leadership team. ..but the teachers are great.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Tambelina  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Tamtam, I just know how great Varsity College is so was hoping his move to Hillcrest would be good for them, sounds like that may not be the case! It looks like St Andrews is still going to be the best option if we are able to get a place. I still might do a tour of Hillcrest anyway to get a feel for the school.

Kings was lovely, nice people, beautiful campus, but there were a couple of things that they mentioned that has us (especially my husband) hesitant about sending her there. Homework from Pre Prep was a bit concerning. Does anyone know how it compares to Emmanuel? I know it is a Christian school as well, but all my friends who have children there love it, they don't find the religious aspect to be too full on.

I'm evening starting to consider Trinity now. It's a bit far from home for us, but it's close to my work so I guess it wont be too inconvenient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    St andrews is an excellent school with a great reputation. Very caring place too.
    Emmanuel is excellent too.
    Definitely going to the school and getting a feel for the place will help.
    Hillcrest is moving to a collaborative learning style in the classrooms... so you may like to look into that to see what you think. Funnily enough public schools in the area are moving away from this model! Lol
    Good luck. They're all great schools.