+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all the replies really helpful.

Ms2 doesn't nap (except on me now or in car) so couldn't count on naptimes. I go to bed about 10 so can't see late night as much of an option. Maybe early mornings when she finally gets her own bed. I think I do need to keep researching what I can study that has decent long term job prospects. If I'll need to be prepared to use every free moment I need to be sure the study time won't be wasted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started my degree when my kids were 8, 6 & 3. I went to bed early, my house was spotless etc until I began. It's hard work... My house is often messy, I stay up until midnight to study and my degree is extemely demanding. But it's so worth it. It's absolutely doable (I do mine full time) and now I am half way through 😊 Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a DS aged 6 and a DD aged 1 and I'm in my last year of a post grad. I study when DD has her morning sleep and about 6 evenings a week. I put DD to bed about 7pm, we eat early about 6:30pm and then I study about 7:30pm-10pm and 9:30am-11am most days. DH does the bath, teeth, bed routine with DS. It's hard as I don't get to spend time with DH in the evenings but I've only got 6 months hopefully to go so there is light at the end

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm about half way through my law degree which I started when DD was 2 and I was working .6 roughly. I used to study for 2-3 hours each night when she went to bed and have friends watch her for me a couple of hours a week while I went to classes.

She's 5 now and my ex and I have 50/50 shared care, but I work full time (plus an hour travel each way). Now I mostly study on the weekend she is at her dads and after work when she's not with me so I can spend quality time with her when she's with me. I don't go to lectures I listen to them online at nights, and I use Flexi time at work to go to my tutes.

I agree with others - it can be really hard but it's totally doable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I'm a Uni lecturer and we generally say if you want to do really well aim for 10 hours per topic per week (lectures, tutes/workshops/distance Ed activities, readings, assignments etc). With my postgrad I've been doing about 7hrs a week for 1 topic, more when assignment was due and exam coming up.
    Would you say this rings true for Masters level also?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was about 90% through a masters degree when I had my Ds1 and had to finish it just before Ds2 came along (there's 2 years between them). I found it extremely hard. I withdrew a couple of times from subjects because I couldn't find time to study, while also working. But eventually I got it done. You just need to sacrifice some family time and basically all of your alone/down time. I also did a professional course last year which went for about 6 months. That was also hard to find time to study but it was all distance & self-paced, no lectures, no assignments. Just reading the textbook and then doing the exam. It wasn't as hard as uni, but it was still draining having to study. I wouldn't recommend it with small kids, but that's just based on my personal experience. It also depends on how well you want to do. If you just want to pass, then it's definitely doable, but if you're aiming for HDs, maybe a bit unrealistic unless you have lots of help with kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lifewithlads View Post
    Would you say this rings true for Masters level also?
    Yes I would, they all generally expect the same time input but the depth of content and expectations of performance level vary.
    The postgrad study I'm personally doing at the moment is a masters and as I said I was putting in 7hrs a week for one topic last semester. This masters is so intense I don't see how people could work if they wanted to complete it full time (10 topics in 1 year).

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm studying a grad entry bachelors degree (so I got the equivalent of 2 years credit from my previous degree).

It's really hard. I have friends getting HDs all over the shop and I really struggle to get a credit, but I'm ok with that because I know it's because of the struggle of studying distance ed at home with a 2.5 year old.

I don't really have the discipline though, and I'm not good at sacrificing me time. I don't function well at night so I have to get my study done throughout the day. However - I've done a years worth of subjects in 18 months and have a credit average (just!) so I'm pretty happy with my progress.

I know when I'm finished and working I'll do better because being at home is a lot harder than being in the workforce for me!

I do max 3, usually 2 subjects per session including summer session and probably spend 10-15 hours a week on uni work (although some weeks it might be 2 and others it might be 20).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been doing a undergraduate Bach of education for six years pt. 25 subjects down, 7 to go. I started when ds was 2 and dd was 6months. They are now yr3 and yr1 and I have ds 3 yr old and dd 20month old. I do little bits whenever I can. Listen to lectures whilst cooking or folding clothes and assignments at lunchtime rest. I'm useless most nights. No. 3&4 started daycare 2 days a week at the start of sem1 as I was getting really overwhelmed. I'm struggling at the moment but I always find the first 4weeks tough going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Master of Counselling full time load is 2 subjects per semester. I've enrolled in 2, but now I'm seeing the content I'm having massive doubts. 2x4000 word essays and 2x5000 word essays between now and October with 3 kids and 1.5 days at work. The struggle and tension between parenting and ambition is real. Pace is the key I guess.