+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When do you study and what ages are your kids?

I'd like to study but with a 9 and 7 yo in school and 2 yo who isn't in bed until 8-9pm and it's our bed I would be lucky to find 2 hours a week. That's what I'm aiming for until dd2 starts preschool 2 days a week next year. My friend is doing a masters part time and her 2 kids in school but I never see her as the work load is so high and always something with the kids! I did a masters years ago while working full time. Felt full on at the time but feels like child's play now as I had all weekend and every evening back then...
    Just curious as to how hubbers fit in study...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I finished off my bachelor's of environmental science externally when my daughter was 8 months till she was 3.5 I also had my second daughter while studying my final subject last year. My second dd is now 10 months and I start my masters this month. I basically just do some study usually just lectures or readings whenever I get a spare 10 mins or so. Assignments I could only do while the kids where asleep or I had someone to look after them for me ie dad mainly or the occasional visitor we live 1800km from nearest relative in a rural town so did my study fully externally as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very doable you just have to get used to being interrupted and to study whenever you can ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and with noise 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im just doing a duel diploma atm i have one at school and a 2 yo. I am a sahm so dont rely on daycare.
    I mainly study at night as i get annoyed when i get into the flow of study then ds wakes from his nap.
    At night i normally study between 9pm to midnight, it took a while to get used to those hours but it's no problem now.
    During the day if i need to do some i have my desk in the playroom so ds plays with his trains and watches some tv while i study, luckily i can work with noise!
    The first few months were hard to work around but now instead of asking dh if he can help with kids so i can do an assignment I just hand them to him and go do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in my first year of nursing. I study full time which last semester was 12 contact hours at uni a week with another 12-20 of study, depending on what was due. This semester is 8 contact hours. DS1 started school this year and goes to before or after school care on days that I have classes that clash with school times. DS2 is in daycare 3 days per week. Last semester and this semester I've managed to fit my classes into 2 days which leaves a third day just for study. I study at night after the kids are in bed and often between classes on uni days and occasionally all weekend while DH is home. I'm fortunate that he's very supportive and has a flexible employer. I just did a week of placement last week and will have a 2 week placement in October. Between daycare, before/after school care and DHs employer, we work it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was 2 the year I did my Grad Dip Ed externally. It's a 30 credit point course, so a lot to squeeze into one year! I was receiving Partnered Parenting Payment at the time , so qualified for JETT childcare. So DD went into daycare full time plus I did some more study after she went to bed (awesome sleeper!).

I was thinking about your studies and had an idea that may suit since you are not 100% on what to do.

Years ago I was working as a manager, I'd learned heaps on the job but just felt I needed some specifics. First I looked at private courses and TAFE short courses but they were so expensive. I rang a nearby TAFE and they explained that I could enrol in some certificates then just study single subjects at my own pace. It was much cheaper and the subjects I did were also offered at night. The rule of thumb Contact Hours = Homework Hours was pretty spot on as they weren't as arduous as university subjects.

You could check out TAFE courses somewhat related to your field and see if there is a subject that would either add on to your existing qualification (eg. A computer program all companies now use that they weren't back before) or one to give you a taster of an area you are looking into. I really enjoyed it and the course I was doing/night classes meant that it was mostly mature age students, so opportunity for grown up conversations too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I studied full time (bachelor of education/ bachelor of languages) since before I was pregnant with DS to last week. I was lucky enough to have family look after him when I was at uni when he was a newborn and he started childcare a couple of days a week after that. I found it fairly easy to manage full time uni with a baby/ toddler, but wouldn't have been able to do it without family support/ childcare. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was 2.5 I did 2 subjects on campus while he was at child care and and one subject externally at night when he was sleeping or during the day when he was sleeping. I only had one child to contend with though not 3 so that is also a huge difference. I was also working 3 full days a week to support us

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 12 months and I'm working 0.5 and doing postgrad study. I went back to both when she was 7 months. She goes to childcare 2 half days when I go into work (this needs to increase as I've just increased from 0.3 to 0.5FTE). I do the rest of my work from home and my studies. I study or work during every nap time DD has. I try and avoid working or studying at night where i can but sometimes will if need be. If I'm behind on my studies then DH will take DD for half day on the weekend so I can catch up. He just did that 4 days in a row as I prepped for a major exam.
    If your DD naps still you could use that time otherwise you're looking at a 9pm study shift or getting up early. Or a couple of nights a week and on weekend DP gets handed kids so you can study.
    I'm a Uni lecturer and we generally say if you want to do really well aim for 10 hours per topic per week (lectures, tutes/workshops/distance Ed activities, readings, assignments etc). With my postgrad I've been doing about 7hrs a week for 1 topic, more when assignment was due and exam coming up.