Volunteer work | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why does your partner need to get involved? Maybe he is buggered from working? Why does someone's worth need to be measured in the unpaid hours they work?
    I think she might mean that she was brought up with a family value of giving back to the community. And it is important to her.

As for me - I have zilch energy atm.

I plan on helping school tuckshop and other school activities when DS starts going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I volunteer as a Cub Scout leader. It challenges me to do things my anxiety would
    Otherwise stop me from doing in a supportive environment. Everyone is welcome in scouting

Thanks
    Reviews
    I volunteer as a primary ethics teacher and on occasion at my son's school. I also informally do the shopping for 2 elderly neighbours who struggle at times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a sucker for getting to involved in volunteer positions, especially related to my kids (many) sport activities...my mother told me I need to handcuff my hands down at committee meetings!
    At the moment, I manage a football team and a basketball team, work in the BMX Club canteen every week and am part of a community committee for the development of activities for youth in our local area. I also am regularly involved in Calisthenics stuff. Pre-kids I was in the SES, but can't now due to being on my own an unable to attend call - outs.
    In my experience, volunteers are always the same people wherever you go..it's always the same people who put up their hands and the same people who do nothing except complain when things aren't being done to their expectations...
    Every year I ask team members parents to volunteer 1hr a season to work in the canteen....every year I struggle to get volunteers...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Great thread. I would love to volunteer more and hope I can in the future.

Most of my volunteer work is with my church. I teach Sunday school and sing in 2 bands. I am also on the music committee and ministry and mission team. This year a friend of mine and I ran a 10 week course (2 hours per week) for girls in years 1-4 to learn about who who they are and how to be strong in their self belief (in the face of societal/peer expectations) (that's a very small synopsis). That's probably the most rewarding volunteer thing I've ever been involved in.

DH has coached DSs soccer team for 5 years and I am pretty much the manager (DH is officially the manager but I do it all as the coaching itself is a big commitment).

DH also runs the youth group at our church.