Volunteer work | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I volunteer in an op shop through the Salvation Army.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I volunteer as the registrar for my son's soccer club. I'm the main contact point to register players and take enquiries from people. I organise all teams from u6 to adults. At the start of the season it's very time consuming but I really enjoy it

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Volunteer work

I am curious how many dads and partners do volunteering or are involved in the your local community? It's a sore point with me at the moment as I think my partner will have no interest in getting involved with our local communities (such as kindy, school, neighbourhood events, sporting groups, charity groups, scouts etc) as our kids grow up. Both my mum and my dad were big into being involved in the wider community.
    Last edited by TreeGirl; 28-08-2016 at 14:50.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    I am curious how many dads and partners do volunteering or are involved in the your local community? It's a sore point with me at the moment as I think my partner will have no interest in getting involved with our local communities (such as kindy, school, neighbourhood events, sporting groups, charity groups, scouts etc) as our files grow up. Both my mum and my dad were big into being involved in the wide community.
    I volunteer at a school and drag dh along with me. He doesn't seem to mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I am curious how many dads and partners do volunteering or are involved in the your local community? It's a sore point with me at the moment as I think my partner will have no interest in getting involved with our local communities (such as kindy, school, neighbourhood events, sporting groups, charity groups, scouts etc) as our files grow up. Both my mum and my dad were big into being involved in the wide community.
    Why does your partner need to get involved? Maybe he is buggered from working? Why does someone's worth need to be measured in the unpaid hours they work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both hubby and I are in the SES, RFS and VAO. On top of work he doesn't have time for much else but if he is able (shift worker) he will come to school assemblies. I manage school tuck shop and he has come up with me a handful of times, mainly just for company. He isn't as involved on the preschool committee (I'm prez and he is treasurer) as I am and he isn't on school P&C at all (I'm the backup secretary/treasurer), nor the town Youth Centre (Where I'm a normal committee member, plus an appointed trustee) but their meetings etc often conflict with his work so it wouldn't work for him anyway.
    I don't "expect" him to come and volunteer but it's something I really pride myself on and I think seeing that kind of just inspires him to come out and do it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why does someone's worth need to be measured in the unpaid hours they work?
    It doesn't and I didn't say that 🙂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my dh has been giving up his free time and mentoring students and being on the committee for his industry's non-profit body for years. it's not kid related but we only had ds 6 months ago. he also formed a charity with a group with friends. the charity was ultimately unsuccessful due to the amount of red tape required to get it off the ground however they plugged away at it for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally volunteer on the committee of our local toy library. have only been doing it a few months but am enjoying it so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends and I have set up a charity, it took us just under a year to get through the red tape. Now to keep it going!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (28-08-2016)