Volunteer work | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Volunteer work

Looking for ideas of places to volunteer work now and then.
    Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016 at 18:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I volunteer as president of the preschool committee and on the P&C. As well as managing the canteen. On the Youth Centre Board and a trustee for it. I am in the SES and have recently filed applications for the RFS and VAO. All of these are great and each have their own something to offer.
    What sorts of things are you into? What are your interests? There are so many choices and there are a lot of things that don't require a whole lot of commitment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It really depends on what you are passionate about. Working with children? Supporting refugees? Rescuing animals? Community safety? Etc. The possibilities are endless!

I volunteer in my community in a weekly role. It is definitely a commitment, I have to be there from 8-12 that day every week, I have to prepare beforehand and folloe up afterwards. I also run community activities where the commitment is definitly a regular thing. I would add up to around 8-12 volunteer hours per week on average - sometimes more, sometimes less, and ALWAYS have at least 2 kids in tow while Im doing it! When I first signed up, I was terrified of the commitment. I knew it was a long term thing & I, like you, didnt want to let anyone down. I went home and cried the first day, & freaked out all week with 'what have I done? But now I love it. Hopefully you will be able to find something flexible,that you love and are passionate about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I volunteer as the team manager for my son's soccer team. I love it! I do a bit of admin work. Email the parents. Organise parent rosters for washing jumpers. Organise the kids . Organise social outings for the team. Just love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoghurt View Post
    Looking for ideas of places to volunteer work now and then.

How much commitment is involved? I like the idea of helping others but the commitment and pressure runs me down even if its promising to be there once a month. I hate to let people down.

I'm smart and capable in so many ways but my mental health holds me back every time
    Just start off very small. Baby steps. I was scared too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    like @sunnyflower I used to manage one of my DS's sporting team (his cricket team) although because I became very unwell with my mental health during the season I had to stop. It took around 30-60 mins each week and mostly I could do it by text message/email with the occassional phone call. I probably won't do it this coming season as I have to start thinking about trying to volunteer or work in the area I'm studying in & will all be too much

Much like you, my mental health makes it feel impossible (& I know right now I couldn't commit to anything). Good luck with finding something that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am secretary of my children's school P&C and on the fundraising committee as well.

I am co-manager of my son's footy team.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For more ideas some local councils have volunteer spots on their websites etc.

For 'casual' volunteering you can help with fun runs etc as well.

I have also been considering this. But my kids are waaaaaay to young so will wait a few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I volunteer about once a month in an op shop through the Salvation Army. I'm there three hours, sorting clothes and other things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've just been appointed co-treasurer of our local council toy library. an email came that was asking for volunteers and listed all the positions vacant. I applied for co-treasurer as its something that's in line with my skill set.

I've done volunteer work in the past and never lasted, I think because I was taking positions I had no interest in.

I'm hoping my tenure on the toy library committee is longer than my previous volunteering positions lol