+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Those with 4 kids... A few questions.

I'm seriously considering a 4th however am wondering how a 4th fit into your lifestyle.. We are extremely busy with 3 but im a very organised person and have my routine down pat. What other major changes happened in your household.. Im worried ill shoot ourselves in the foot. The other kids are 4,6 & 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I didn't find having a 4th a huge adjustment. DD4 just had to fit in and go where we go. We already had the car and room in the house so nothing changed there. I found routine worked well for us so you'll be just fine having another. I'm currently pregnant with #5, I loved having 4 so much

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've already had rolled eyes and "why would you want another?" From family members. Very dissapointing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My 4th was a surprise so my views are probably tainted by that.

First off. I love adore and cherish my 4th more than life itself. she is such a strong, dominant force of nature I couldn't imagine our family without her.

BUT. I'm 45 and having a 2 year old drains me. So I guess for me it's not so much having a 4th child that's difficult it's still having such a young kid when I also have a 10, 7 and 5 year old who need me. Splitting myself into 4 is a lot harder than 3. I guess if I'm honest there are times I feel resentful I'm still toilet training a toddler when those days are well and truly behind everyone else I seem to know.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (01-07-2016),GlitterFarts  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have any trouble with my number 4 slotting into the family when she was born.

What I've struggled with is the age / maturity gap between my oldest and youngest. It's just under a seven year age gap but when my oldest hit the teen years, the gap suddenly seemed massive.

It's been a real juggling act at times not to baby the oldest and expose the youngest to things that she wasn't ready for eg movies.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (30-06-2016),Sonja  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We ummed and ahhed about the 4thfor a few months but ultimately, it was a bit of a "why not" scenario. I am really glad I did. We got a bigger car but that was no problem. We lived in a big enough house at the time, but we have since moved to a much smaller house with no issues. Honestly, apart from the fact that my youngest was sick when he was a newborn and needed surgery, he kind of just slipped into the family with no fuss. When he was born my others were 4, 2 and 1. My husband was working a whole lot (12-16 hrs, 7 days a week) at the time and I never really struggled too much as I already had routine from juggling the other 3.

Currently trying for #5 (if my cycle ever returns. Urgh) so I definitely loved having more hehe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh following. I have a 1, 3 & 5 yo & I am really not 'done'. Contemplating a 4th, but if I do it, it will be soon, as to not have a large age gap. I am so busy already with 3... but what's one more.... right?!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think for my dh now that all kids are sleeping overnight, no interruptions etc he kind of dreads the thought of going back to us being woken. None of our three slept a full night until they were 4-4.5. We would be up at least 2-3 times a night on a good night, 6-9 on a bad night. It kind of drained our souls. Lol

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my situation was different. I had a 4yr old and 2yr old twins. I was not 'finished'. I did want a good space after the girls, in case I had a second set of twins. My fourth was planned and wanted, and he did just fit in with the rest of the craziness. I was only 27, so I had plenty of energy and good health, and also healthy babies/children. I had no problems at all. marie.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    There really isn't much difference but you'll need a bigger car. We only hsve a three bedroom house (we're planning to extend in a few years). The boys share one room and the girls share a room (though often they all sleep together or the two year old co-sleeps with me and partner). Obviously the cost of living goes up, but if you're savvy it should be ok. My kids ages are 11 (12 in October), 9, almost 7 and 2.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post: