+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default anyone else struggling with motivation?

I am trying to do an essay - it is very overdue but as that is due to health issues & I have an education access plan the uni is being very understanding. I was meant to get it done by today but am currently 500 words into a 2500 essay so have again emailed the convenor to tell her she won't be getting it yet.

Help me get the motivation to get this done. It is a topic that does interest me, generally speaking I get good marks (needed in the field I am studying in) but just can't seem to get over the line with this one.

Anyone else struggling? I am planning on attempting some 15 minute spurts after I have fed DS in the hope of getting something at least done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started uni quite late in life, and I was 40 when I graduated with my commerce degree. I vividly remember studying well into the night while everyone else was watching tv or doing 'fun stuff' - it was bl00dy hard work!

My main issue was procrastination. I always put off actually starting! Once I got going it wasn't too bad, but actually sitting down and putting pen to paper was the tough part for me!

The house would be spotless, ironing done, garden weeded, a cake baked. Still nothing on my notepad!

I don't have the answer for you I'm afraid, I can only encourage you to sit down with your pen and paper and write....something.

Just do it

Once you get started I reckon you'll fly through this. You can do it hon!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

HLE  (30-06-2016),pointless1  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do it! Do it! Just do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    To add - I totally get it, haha! I've completed 25 subjects - 7 to go. I'm on break atm but anytime I think of those 7 little (NOT!) subjects I feel like they are bigger and harder than the 25 (!) I've done. But just one foot in front of the other - keep going

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok 500 words is a good start you're 20% done! I would focus on your essay plan and go paragraph by paragraph. So maybe your goal for tonight could be to write 1-2 paragraphs? Or write a tentative conclusion which might make you feel closer to the end for me if I'm struggling to write it helps if I just write anything, I can then go back to that and tart it up but at least I've made a start which settles my stress levels
    As for me - I have 8 assignments left to mark so I can finally finish off this semester. They are due to go back to students on Tuesday but Saturday is my DDs first birthday and Sunday DH is off interstate for the week and DD doesn't go to childcare Monday's (only Tuesday and Friday morning) so I need them all done tomorrow just in case.
    So @pointless1 if you'd like to commit to a goal with me I'll come back and check in with you tomorrow and see how we both went my goal is as a minimum to have all the assignments marked and uploaded to return to students. Then if possible all final topic grades finalized and uploaded too, that would be awesome!
    We can do this

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (30-06-2016),pointless1  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie has a good plan. And, if you don't think you can get whole paragraphs down, maybe opt to plan out 3 paragraphs - write out a basic first sentence, dot point your main content ideas, even list your references there if you already know them, so you don't have to go back and do them later. Then at least you have the basic outlines you just need to fill them in. You might find as you jot them down you warm up and it just comes out!

To answer your question though - totally lacking motivation. I've been promising myself for months that I'm going to start writing again. I don't even care what I write, I just need a creative outlet back. But, I cannot make myself put pen to paper. I can't make the words come. I've got terrible writers block, and I know to get past it I actually need to just start writing, yet here I am. No ideas. No words. Blank pages 😕

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-06-2016),pointless1  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie - definitely a deal - I'm currently going through my essay plan making sure that I have a couple of references for each of the points I want to make & getting the correct information from it. I want to get that done for each proposed paragraph by tomorrow night & then hopefully manage to write it over the weekend. Good luck getting the marking done tomorrow - hope to read an update that you are going to enjoy your DD's birthday without the work hanging over you (I really don't envy you having the end of semester stuff to finalise).

@Tiny Dancer - what sort of stuff do you usually enjoy writing - anything we can do to help inspire you so you get that creative outlet back?
    @goosey - I'm finding those final units are the worst - I have 4 left of my undergrad but then I need to do postgrad as well for my undergrad to have been any use (trying really hard not to think of that part)
    Last edited by pointless1; 30-06-2016 at 21:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can do it girl. Picture @gingermille being your lecturer and vice versa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    @gingermillie - definitely a deal - I'm currently going through my essay plan making sure that I have a couple of references for each of the points I want to make & getting the correct information from it. I want to get that done for each proposed paragraph by tomorrow night & then hopefully manage to write it over the weekend. Good luck getting the marking done tomorrow - hope to read an update that you are going to enjoy your DD's birthday without the work hanging over you (I really don't envy you having the end of semester stuff to finalise).

@Tiny Dancer - what sort of stuff do you usually enjoy writing - anything we can do to help inspire you so you get that creative outlet back?
    @goosey - I'm finding those final units are the worst - I have 4 left of my undergrad but then I need to do postgrad as well for my undergrad to have been any use (trying really hard not to think of that part)
    Ok you're on!! I'll check in later and hopefully we are both where we want to be (or at least much closer!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post

I used to do a lot of short stories and ******s of consciousness. I had a go at poetry, but apparently it isn't my thing 😂

******s of consciousness are much more interesting when you've actually been thinking about a variety of things. I spend most of my time worrying these days, and I probably need to get back into some sort of study because my thoughts feel.... dull. My critical thinking and ability to delve deeper into an issue seem to be waning somewhat.

Short stories - I've just got no ideas for story lines. I've developed an inability to create conflict/negative issues as well. Reflection of my mental state I'd say. I'm shying away from it because there is enough turmoil without adding to it. I get attached to my characters and the conflict/negativity upsets me 😂
    Having said that, I've been toying with some ideas in my head, little bits and pieces to add up to a puzzle - albeit with signifigant pieces missing (but still without a real story line, and not enough character development for my liking).

Hope you got as much done as you wanted last night!