Thoughts, Opinions & Experiences on Water Births | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thoughts, Opinions & Experiences on Water Births

I'm due with Baby #1 in December and considering a Water Birth but I don't know anyone who has tried it..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have. My birth was so super quick (DD2) that I got very little benefit out of being in the water!!! Water births are also 'hands off' so your midwife is generally not allowed to assist with the birth using her hands in the water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say if you are able to try it and are comfortable with it, try it. you can always change your mind. I have attempted it twice. With DD1 the water helped alot with the labour pains but labour just wasn't progressing so had to get out if the pool (at which time I realised just how much it was helping with the pain). Second attempt with DD2 was not successful because she wanted out and fast. She was born within a minute of getting to the centre and the pool was still filling.. But the thought of the warm water helped get through the car ride there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have laboured in water twice but got out of the pool to birth. I don't like it! I'm not a water lover, as in I don't like swimming or such so I suppose it's not real surprise. I felt a bit out of control, like I didn't have firm grip on the earth. I am avoiding the pool this time around.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my babes were born in water. I hopped in the bath at around 7cm and had them both an hour later. I can't compare to non water births though.

To me it was totally calm and 'lovely'

With DS I tore quite badly still, but with Dd only a tiny tear that didn't need stitching. It's s very hands off experience, with no one touching the baby until it's out really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm also considering a water birth this time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really wanted one first time round and laboured in the bath for over 3 hours before being pulled out due to failure to progress (ended up with an emergency c sec).

Second birth I was less focussed on the water birth knowing what had happened last time, but the bath was there if I chose to use it. DH even filled it for me but I didn't get in, I didn't feel 'ready' to hop in at any point and that my body needed to be upright and standing. Turns out my Bub was posterior and needed help turning to get out, so had I hopped in the bath I again would have been asked to get out at some point.

If I go for a third I would again try for a water birth but doing so knowing that I might change my mind once in the labor ward.

A water birth is only suitable if everything is progressing well, it can slow labor down if you get in too early, and having to get out of the bath is really not fun.

My OB suggested not getting in until at least 7cm. But even then I would only consider it if labor was progressing well and Bub in optimal position etc. you are limited as to what positions you can get into in the bath.

All this said I think it would be an amazing way for your LO to arrive earth side and I have many friends who have had successful water births. If you have the option I say go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved the idea of being in water, but when I got in the bath during labour with my first I absolutely hated it! It made the pain so much worse. I got out after a few minutes, movement was much better for managing the pain than being in the water. Also standing under the shower was brilliant.

I didn't even consider it for my second. I had an induction and an early epidural, so it wouldn't have been an option anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd was born in water and it was a beautiful experience. I consider myself a bit of a sook when it comes to pain but I birthed her without any pain relief whatsoever - the warm water was an amazing natural pain reliever for me

I was 7cm when we went into the birth centre so was able to hop in straight away, she was born a couple of hours later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Thoughts, Opinions & Experiences on Water Births

I laboured in water but birthed out of it. I absolutely loved labouring in the water. My dd was posterior and it was the most effective pain relief for me. She turned while I was leaning forward on my knees in the bath. I'm not sure I would have managed drug free without the bath and shower. I didn't have the option of actually giving birth in the bath as it was against my hospital's policies.