+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Greens/Labour.
    Primarily because:

3. Marriage equality - this is just a no-brainer, change the damn laws already.

Oh also - healthcare and tertiary education. Do we really want either of those to end up like America's systems? Please no.
    What is the labor party's policy for marriage equality? What's their plan? Aside from launching an attack on a plebiscite that Shorten was fully in support of 3 years ago?

Also, where are the LNP policies for privatising Medicare and education? Specific policies on their website please, not quotes from labor politicians about what could potentially happen under an LNP government?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

zalimama  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Re Labor's plans for marriage equality, Shorten has said it would be the first Bill introduced to a new Parliament.

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics...27-gptcy8.html
    Last edited by JustJaq; 01-07-2016 at 07:50.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps No I'm not a Labor party member - just someone who reads the news ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not this mother 😂😂😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that Malcolm Turnbull has been disappointing, purely for the fact that he hasn't even tried aligning the party's policies with his own beliefs on marriage equality and climate change. As he said right after he overthrew Abbott, he's going to "toe the party line". What I'm hoping for is an LNP win which will give his position as PM enough validity to be able to convince the other members in his party that some of the governments policies on social issues need to change.

From an ideological perspective, I believe in deregulation, small government and economic prosperity through enterprise success. So naturally, I would always vote liberals, although I don't always agree with their policies or necessarily like their leaders. I did love John Howard though. Those were the days!

I voted yesterday and glad to get it over with. Not particularly fond of sausage sizzles and my Saturday is going to be hectic enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Re Labor's plans for marriage equality, Shorten has said it would be the first Bill introduced to a new Parliament.

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics...27-gptcy8.html
    Ha, ha yes sure. Their actual policy on their website says that within the first 100 days in government they will have a "debate" in parliament. No mention of an actual bill being passed but even if one is written up, Legislation doesn't just get passed so easily. And good luck passing anything through the senate with the likes of the Pauline hansons and other whackos getting senate seats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but have you actually read this article through properly? Do you understand what exactly is being "privatised"?

This isn't about cutting Medicare payments or making healthcare private, it's just about outsourcing one function in the way payments are processed to make the payments more efficient and cheaper. anyone who has tried dealing directly with Medicare or Centrelink would know that their system at the moment is extremely inefficient and unnecessarily bureaucratic. But of course, the media and labor spin this so extraordinarily that now Malcolm Turnbull is cutting Medicare and privatising it. Yes he is cutting costs! That is one thing labor don't know how to do.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Because spending $160 million on an opinion poll when you could just put a bill through parliament makes great financial sense?

People have no idea how damaging the advertising that will come from a plebiscite on marriage equality will be for the LGBTIQA+ community, particularly those couples with children old enough to understand some of the inevitable vitriol that will be spouted as a result.

And it's not binding anyway. Turnbull has already said regardless of the results he'll be putting it to his party before anything else happens, so call me cynical but I certainly don't foresee this expensive poll having any bearing on the actual changing of the marriage act, regardless of the result.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese  (01-07-2016),LaDiDah  (01-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (01-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (01-07-2016)