+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah it's bad! I didn't realise how bad it would be until I saw this on my friend's Facebook wall:

http://heapsgay.com/this-is-how-a-pl...ook-in-sydney/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I haven't been following the news...how have the Liberal Party followed this route? Isn't MT pro-marriage equality?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's them introducing this Plebiscite instead of just *doing* it. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I think this is their attempt to put up one final road block. To hope the vote is no bc "Australians were against it". But then can say they tried. There has been a million large reputable polls done on the topic that consistently show a large majority support gay marriage. So pass the legislation already?!

I actually do believe Turnbull is for marriage equality. But he has to placate both his cabinet and his voters.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Yeah it's bad! I didn't realise how bad it would be until I saw this on my friend's Facebook wall:

http://heapsgay.com/this-is-how-a-pl...ook-in-sydney/
    An interesting read, but I'm not sure I agree totally. I guess I have more faith in the Australian people. Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't see outwardly-hateful or vulgar rhetoric being tolerated by the majority of Australians, particularly young Australians.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    It's them introducing this Plebiscite instead of just *doing* it. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I think this is their attempt to put up one final road block. To hope the vote is no bc "Australians were against it". But then can say they tried. There has been a million large reputable polls done on the topic that consistently show a large majority support gay marriage. So pass the legislation already?!

I actually do believe Turnbull is for marriage equality. But he has to placate both his cabinet and his voters.
    I used to be heavily-involved in the Liberal Party, was a Young Liberal etc, and not once did I encounter any anti-gay sentiment. Not from the "Party Elders" either. I don't agree that it's on the agenda of the Liberal Party to oppose marriage equality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This. Unfortunately

Thanks
    Reviews
    An interesting read, but I'm not sure I agree totally. I guess I have more faith in the Australian people. Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't see outwardly-hateful or vulgar rhetoric being tolerated by the majority of Australians, particularly young Australians.

It's not the Australian people who will be making memes saying that gay men like changing nappies because it smells like sex. It's going to be disgusting bigots doing that, who probably represent 1% of the population and to you and me, that won't make a shred of difference to how we vote, but as rainbow road said, it will hurt people who are not heterosexual and their children.

Look, it won't affect me, aside from finding it offensive, the same way I find Pauline Hanson offensive when she talks about Muslim people being pedophiles. But what if this plebiscite was about whether Jewish people should be allowed to circumcise their children? I would be horrified if my boys saw this sort of stuff in the mail.

Basically, Im agreeing that a plebiscite will be bad. I didn't think it would be this bad before but now I do. The legislation just needs to be changed by the people who have the power to do it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (14-07-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

By law the government need to give the yes and no side of the plebiscite equal funding for advertising.

It's not random Australians making memes, it's groups like the Australian Christian lobby and defend natural marriage that will be given millions to spend on advertising saying, basically, that same sex families (and in fact any non nuclear family really!) are damaging their children and therefore marriage equality should not be passed.

They'll be paying for bill board, television, radio advertising, whatever they can, as well as getting revolting flyers into people's mail boxes.

And our government will be funding it which is so wrong, on so many levels.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Election 2016

I used to be heavily-involved in the Liberal Party, was a Young Liberal etc, and not once did I encounter any anti-gay sentiment. Not from the "Party Elders" either. I don't agree that it's on the agenda of the Liberal Party to oppose marriage equality.

Well my own uncle was a Liberal MP and he was completely against marriage equality... Knowing me, my partner, our son, knowing that his daughter was our sons godmother, he vocalised his opinion publicly and frequently. So yes, it does exist in the Liberal party, because he certainly wasn't the only one of his colleagues to feel that way.

He lost his seat at this election (to an intelligent and progressive female, hallelujah!) and you know, I didn't feel sad that my uncle lost his job, I felt relieved that it was one less conservative old white man throwing his weight around on matters that literally do not affect him at all.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 14-07-2016 at 21:31.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Election 2016

Why on earth should the Australian people have the right to vote on this anyway? It doesn't affect most of them. If we didn't have to have a plebiscite for John Howard to alter the marriage act to say "between a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others" why do we have to have one to amend it?

Sorry but it's no ones business. If you don't want to marry another woman, you don't have to, so why should it bother you if I want to? It's not going to stop us having our families... We already have them, we are already recognised as parents by BDM when it comes to birth certificates, and as families by Centrelink and Medicare... It's not a big deal.

Or it shouldn't be.

ETA: this is a general "you".
    Last edited by rainbow road; 14-07-2016 at 21:23.

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-07-2016),babyno1onboard  (15-07-2016),BettyV  (14-07-2016),binnielici  (15-07-2016),delirium  (14-07-2016),JR03  (14-07-2016),JustJaq  (14-07-2016),Lil Smurfy  (14-07-2016),misskittyfantastico  (14-07-2016),PomPoms  (14-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (15-07-2016),Sonja  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I think you're on the right track Del. the libs want to be seen to be doing the right thing (in the eyes of the majority of the public) but when it comes down to it they don't have the balls to go against the chunk of their conservative supporters who are right wing nutbags. So they are doing something that they think will make them look good however in reality is set up for failure.