+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    So it looks like the Libs have it. It's taken so long I'm not sure I even care! My only hope is that the close result makes both major parties take stock and listen to us more. And that maybe, just maybe, we might see the real Malcolm return as a result. You know, the one who believes in climate change, no children in detention, same sex marriage and had compassion.
    Unfortunately, I think the election result will force Malcolm into a more right-wing stance. The hardliners in the Liberal party will be pointing to the success of Pauline and other equally right-wing independents as evidence that his approach to issues such as climate change, refugees and marriage equality has driven away hard-right Liberal voters. And any new supporters he would pick up if he reclaimed his stance on those issues are probably going to vote Labor, anyway. Abbott is just waiting in the wings, sharpening his knives and waiting for the opportune time to swoop in and save the day with three letter acronyms and hate-speech.

So it's basically a lose-lose for Malcolm if he follows a rational, compassionate and more sensible line on important issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to agree... It will be hard getting consensus among the members of the coalition let alone in the house of reps or the senate.

But according to statements made today by shorten, there is hope yet for a functional government and legislation being passed without needing to make deals with the devil (hanson, Nile, lambie)..

This might actually be the best of both worlds for liberals and labor supporters - they will need to create policies that are in line with the coalition's economic & business values but with the social conscience of the labor and greens.

I'm probably being naive & optimistic.. Time will tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I don't think either government has handled asylum seekers all that well. It's a tough issue though, not sure what the solution is. Some things that need to change are:
    - Faster processing of claims. We should be throwing money at resourcing the processing of claims instead of paying to keep people in detention. It is inhumane to keep people in detention for longer than 6 months and completely unacceptable IMO. Those who are refugees can be resettled quickly and start the new lives they so deserve. Those who are found not to be refugees can be repatriated quicklyand start their lives again too.
    - Provide much nicer detention centres. I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with the use of detention centres but at least they need to be decent facilities.
    - Increase Australia's intake of refugees.
    - Increase ways that people can apply for asylum without needing to travel by sea through Indonesia.
    - STOP the resettlement of legitimate refugees in PNG. This is the most inhumane stupid plan the government has ever come up with. Makes my blood boil. 😡
    Much nicer detention centres?!
    Not sure about others but the one that was here in my town was brand new, certainly wasn't lacking anything. It has since been closed and it will remain that way now the Libs are still in. It would have been rebuilt no doubt had Labour got in, as has been the case everytime they have been in power.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Not sure about others but the one that was here in my town was brand new, certainly wasn't lacking anything. It has since been closed and it will remain that way now the Libs are still in. It would have been rebuilt no doubt had Labour got in, as has been the case everytime they have been in power.
    You do know that labor supports offshore processing so no, they wouldn't have reopened it.

John Howard originally opened the centre and it seems the town has lost out since the centre closed.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...losure/6549674

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    So the shiney new one isn't being used and people are sent to the crappy ones in Naru and Manus 🙄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You do know that labor supports offshore processing so no, they wouldn't have reopened it.

John Howard originally opened the centre and it seems the town has lost out since the centre closed.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...losure/6549674
    Hahaha we are hardly in a recession. Having lived here for 17 years this town has always fluctuated, something starts up in town and the town booms, something closes the town slows down, this includes mining too. Unfortunately people get greedy during the peak times expecting it to last forever but if they did their homework first they would be more cautious and prepared. We have property here and due to not much happening in the town our property we want to sell won't sell at the price we want so we wait til the next boom, it's how it goes.
    Hopefully now that the curtin land is being utilised as the RAAF base which is what it originally used to be we won't have a detention centre here again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    A recession is a temporary decline in economic activity.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Election 2016

Thought I would share this for anyone unsure if the plebiscite (or apparently even the vague prospect of one) will actually produce gross advertising as I've said it will inevitably. This came in the mail today...ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1468479947.501974.jpg

Now imagine you're the child of a same sex couple, collecting the mail because that's your job, and you come across this?

Or even a young teen who thinks they may be gay...

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-07-2016),atomicmama  (14-07-2016),babyno1onboard  (14-07-2016),BettyV  (14-07-2016),binnielici  (14-07-2016),JustJaq  (14-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (14-07-2016),wobbleyhorse  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yuck That is revolting. Defenceless kids? Oh p*ss off. Children need their basic needs met, with heaps of love and some kind of contact with positive role models of both sexes. That could be an Uncle, a grandmother, a footy coach.

The only one enforcing anything on others is these bigoted nutcases! I'm so sorry Rainbow, I'm sickened and angry and I'm not even gay. I cannot believe the Libs have chosen this route.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-07-2016),JustJaq  (14-07-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well you know, you've seen poor DS. He's obviously suffering greatly!

Such a load of horse**** which is water off a duck's back to us but has so much potential to be really damaging.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (14-07-2016),delirium  (14-07-2016),Elijahs Mum  (14-07-2016),JustJaq  (14-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (14-07-2016)