+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'll send my family back over the other side of the Tasman shall I then...

Don't worry, I'm laughing
    My point was badly made I acknowledge that but it wasn't just a random outcry. When Howard first started getting tough on boat people and the whole children overboard debacle there were numerous articles about the number of people who stay here from China, America and Britain illegally and nothing is done about it. We pick and choose who we get upset about. That was my issue.

And no I'm not suggesting we send NZ'ers back. When nearly 2% of the population live in Australia and contribute as they do we couldn't afford to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    That doesn't make sense. They make their way to Indonesia, there are many, many, airports along the way. It's costly to travel by land too, much cheaper to fly.

They can't fly to Australia if they are of a nationality that requires a visa to enter Australia as the airline will not let them board the plane without said visa.
    I know a family of Iraqi refugees who did exactly what I described - they walked carrying their kids over the mountains to Turkey. They left everything behind. This was years ago now. Not sure if it is still possible today. My point is that people fleeing war torn countries often don't have the luxury of time to collect visas, passports, money etc to enable them to catch a plane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I know some Iraqi refugees who did exactly what I described - they walked over the mountains to Turkey. They left everything behind. My point is that people fleeing war torn countries often don't have the luxury of time to collect visas, passports, money etc to enable them to catch a plane.
    Agree completely. I was looking it from the context of those who are arriving in Australia by boat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    @witherwings
    It's a beautiful serie, I also recommend it to all my friends. You can catch it on demand on the sbs website
    http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video...-you-came-from
    Please watch. Please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone interested in reading refugee stories, I like HONY:
    http://www.humansofnewyork.com/tagged/refugee-stories

There are heaps more refugee stories in here, but you need to scroll down a bit:
    http://www.humansofnewyork.com/ .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Anyone interested in reading refugee stories, I like HONY:
    http://www.humansofnewyork.com/tagged/refugee-stories

There are heaps more refugee stories in here, but you need to scroll down a bit:
    http://www.humansofnewyork.com/ .
    I love the humans of New York stories. I wish more people read them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I love the humans of New York stories. I wish more people read them.
    Have you seen 'new humans of Australia'? I would definitely recommend it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Thank you

In hindsight, the data I posted in response to your question wasn't really relevant, since the proportion of asylum seekers that are deemed genuine refugees is much larger, as pointed out by BigRedV, and that data I posted only refers to a small portion of refugees that were processed on Nauru alone over a specific period of time.

But yes I genuinely do care about refugees. If I didn't care, I wouldn't be posting about this here. It's so time consuming!
    I just want to respond to this as something popped in my head about the asylum seekers on Nauru.

In the second series of go back to where you came from that featured "famous" Australians, including Peter Reith who was the one responsible for the Pacific Solution actually went to Afghanistan and met a man who he sent back from Nauru. The man didn't know who Peter Reith was and that he was ultimately behind the decision to send him home but what this afghan man said was that maybe out of the 14 (can't remember exact number) but I think he was the only survivor, all others who had been sent back were killed. So they weren't deemed to be genuine in Australia's eyes but they probably were.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 09-07-2016 at 09:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So it looks like the Libs have it. It's taken so long I'm not sure I even care! My only hope is that the close result makes both major parties take stock and listen to us more. And that maybe, just maybe, we might see the real Malcolm return as a result. You know, the one who believes in climate change, no children in detention, same sex marriage and had compassion.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (11-07-2016),TheGooch  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um...I met Malcolm a few years ago at a function and I conversed with him for a good hour.
    An articulate man who was easy to talk to, I also found him to be very ambitious and rather ruthless in his summations. He struck me as a man that didn't really stand for anything but loved the smell of power. This is not a criticism but an observation and one that served me well when voting.