+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    In witherwings defence I don't think she was trying to convince anyone that the government cared..? She just found some data that I'd requested? I have found withwings attitude very peasant to refugees in this thread and she comes across as someone who genuinely cares and is trying to understand.

I think you're trying to make an enemy of someone who is an allie.
    I know she wasn't trying to do that, I just added it in because that's the line the government uses when their policy is questioned...yanno, we saved thousands of lives by stopping the boats when we all know that's not why they did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not true. NZers can stay in Australia as long as they like and get jobs here. They don't need a visa.
    Yeh, this is what I thought as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Seriously, you were the one telling people earlier in the thread to "not rely on biased media articles" and "look at factual information" like journals and RBA data but then you go and quote wiki? Come on! Are you aware that anyone can edit Wikipedia? Your exert from Wikipedia said that only 68% of asylum seekers were genuine. That is the bit I was disagreeing with.

You may be concerned with the deaths at sea of people trying to come here by boat but you can't convince anyone that Tony Abbott and Scott Morrison cared about the welfare of these people.
    The information I posted was published on Wikipedia but the data came from the Australian human rights commission.

The 68% was referring to the people processed in Nauru between the period of 2001-2006.

Here is the exact extract from the AHRC report:
    "4.12Since 2001, the Commission understands that, a total of 1509 asylum seekers have been held on Nauru alone. Of these asylum seekers, Australia accepted for resettlement 586, New Zealand, 360, Sweden 19, Canada 10, Norway 4, and 482 were returned to their country of origin."
    http://www.hreoc.gov.au/legal/submis...n20060522.html

You will find that if you divide 482 by 1509 and deduct the result from 1, you will get 68%.
    Just in case you were worried about the paraphrasing of the article not being word-for-word in wiki.

There's a big difference between articles in newspapers and data extracted from government agencies that are posted on third party websites with citations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tony Abbott opposes abortions, homosexuals and science. I care very little about what concerns him. I'm a Turnbull fan myself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In witherwings defence I don't think she was trying to convince anyone that the government cared..? She just found some data that I'd requested? I have found withwings attitude very peasant to refugees in this thread and she comes across as someone who genuinely cares and is trying to understand.

I think you're trying to make an enemy of someone who is an allie.
    Thank you

In hindsight, the data I posted in response to your question wasn't really relevant, since the proportion of asylum seekers that are deemed genuine refugees is much larger, as pointed out by BigRedV, and that data I posted only refers to a small portion of refugees that were processed on Nauru alone over a specific period of time.

But yes I genuinely do care about refugees. If I didn't care, I wouldn't be posting about this here. It's so time consuming!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Not true. NZers can stay in Australia as long as they like and get jobs here. They don't need a visa.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/corp...ct-sheets/17nz
    I know that. But I thought there was a huge outcry over the sheer number that don't get jobs and still no one cares.

But I may be thinking of the U.K.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I know that. But I thought there was a huge outcry over the sheer number that don't get jobs and still no one cares.

But I may be thinking of the U.K.
    I don't know, there are random outcries all the time that I pay little attention to 😂

But it's perfectly legal for NZers to move to Australia - job or no job - they are not illegal immigrants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't know, there are random outcries all the time that I pay little attention to

But it's perfectly legal for NZers to move to Australia - job or no job - they are not illegal immigrants.
    Ok point taken it was a poor choice of words.

Maybe they should be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Ok point taken it was a poor choice of words.

Maybe they should be
    I'll send my family back over the other side of the Tasman shall I then...

Don't worry, I'm laughing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Probably something to do with fleeing for their lives in the middle of the night with nothing but the clothes on their back.
    That doesn't make sense. They make their way to Indonesia, there are many, many, airports along the way. It's costly to travel by land too, much cheaper to fly.

They can't fly to Australia if they are of a nationality that requires a visa to enter Australia as the airline will not let them board the plane without said visa.