+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I don't think that the lower house will be a shambles necessarily. But the senate is going to be a freakin mess, and even if labor do win the next election, they will still be dealing with the "circus" of the senate.

I hope, as others said above, that people try to cooperate in parliament in order to allow the government to do what needs to be done, to actually run the county. If that means having to compromise on social issues in legislation, this can only be a good thing.

The idea of labor being in government next term actually frightens and frustrates me. Frightens me because they did a dismal job of running the country last time they were in government, and frustrates me because changing government every 3 years is completely counterproductive and costly when projects get cancelled and legislation gets repealed. The liberals are definitely guilty of this, but I just want to see one government in power for a good stretch of time to just get sh!t done.
    Whereas it scares me that we would be ok forgetting about social issue legislation. Because money seems to be more important than people.

Labor was in a minority government the last time they were in. Their hands were tied with many many things. They also dealt with the GFC and did it well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (07-07-2016),wobbleyhorse  (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I don't think he directly said it but the Coalition dragged Labor through the coals for making deals saying it is an 'unstable government'.

They made a deal with Katter today.
    Oh yes, we heard constantly from Abbott about Gillard's 'deals' and the instability of a minority govt. But that's a hung parliament, you need to sway the independent seats to gain some kind of foothold to pass stuff.

Oh how the worm has turned lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think that the lower house will be a shambles necessarily. But the senate is going to be a freakin mess, and even if labor do win the next election, they will still be dealing with the "circus" of the senate.
    The composition of the senate won't be the same in 3 years though as 50% will stay for the full 6 years and 50% will leave after 3 years. Hopefully One Nation delegates, Jacqui Lambie and Derryn Hinch will part of the cohort evicted after 3 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think he said that. He did say that he was confident that the coalition will form a majority government. Will have to wait and see..
    No I mean in the weeks leading up to the election, not since the election.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am always irritated when people declare "Oh my 1 vote won't make a difference...".

In this election, it seems absolutely possible that 1 vote could make a difference.

A South Australian, Liberal supporter, friend of mine just informed me: "Georganas' (Labor) lead over Matt Williams (Liberal) in Hindmarsh has been cut down from over 600 to just 8 votes today! Counting continues tomorrow."

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (07-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Election 2016

Turnbull needs to stop making deals. He can't deliver stability with Katter. Katter is a strong Union supporter and the liberal party have been advised by Howard to go hard on the unions. Katter will walk from any deal.

Cowan is going back to labor tonight quite strongly.

There will be recounts galore. We won't know what the government looks like for another week I reckon. Meanwhile our credit rating goes down .......
    Last edited by Sonja; 07-07-2016 at 21:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The idea that the Libs will be in again this term, and with a hung parliament scares me .
    That scared me too! Lol definitely don't want that! I think they need to have at least 77 seats to have a stable government because all it takes is one bi election that they lose with only 76 seats and all of a sudden they don't have majority anymore.

As labor won't be getting enough seats to govern in their own right I think a labor/greens/independents coalition would be far worse for this county at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Then there are the more progressive Libs who believe in the core beliefs of economic rationalism, free markets, but also gay marriage and a separation of church and state.
    This is pretty much how I would describe my political compass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Whereas it scares me that we would be ok forgetting about social issue legislation. Because money seems to be more important than people.

Labor was in a minority government the last time they were in. Their hands were tied with many many things. They also dealt with the GFC and did it well.
    Social issues are important, but passing legislation on social issues is not enough to govern a country. The labor government had good social policy ideals, but terrible execution of those policies and there was an incredible amount of wasted funds when they were in power.

Anyway I don't need to make any arguments against labor to prove a point.. The landslide victory of the coalition in the last election speaks volumes about the disillusioned majority of voters in this country. How quickly people forget.. Now a lot of those voters are disillusioned with the liberals and I don't blame them at all, but I don't think they had enough of a chance to carry out long term policies, so it's hard to judge their performance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    The composition of the senate won't be the same in 3 years though as 50% will stay for the full 6 years and 50% will leave after 3 years. Hopefully One Nation delegates, Jacqui Lambie and Derryn Hinch will part of the cohort evicted after 3 years.
    *hopefully*!

And who's to say that those senators who leave won't be replaced with the same or worse. The fact that so many people voted for racists, bigots and morons means that there is a large chunk of Australian population that will continue voting in that way. And one of the worst things about discrimination is that it's infectious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No I mean in the weeks leading up to the election, not since the election.
    I'm not sure.. When did he say it? Can you find a quote?