+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 628
  1. #461
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,182
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I actually think the result went this way because

    1.) Malcolm Turnbull has been a huge disappointment to the left liberal voters so they swung to labor

    2.) The more right of the liberal voters are still annoyed he toppled Abbott so voted on the right elsewhere.
    I don't know if there are many "left liberal" voters.

    However, when there were opinion polls regarding preferred PM before Malcolm Turnbull took the leadership from Toby Abbott, the pool of people participating in the polls weren't all liberal voters. I'm sure a lot of swing voters (who may have previously voted for labor) at that stage would have been considering voting for Malcolm Turnbull but would never in a million years have voted for Tony Abbott - but once the general public (particularly non-liberal voters) realised how ineffective Malcolm Turnbull is, especially in getting policies across that reflect his values more than the party's, his appeal was lost.

    Totally agree about your point #2 - I know lots of people who were massively ****ed off about it. I attended a liberal party function last month with Malcolm Turnbull in attendance where many party supporters were grumbling about him.

  2. #462
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,182
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoghurt View Post
    Genuinely curious as to how Pauline plans on heroically stamping out what she is presenting as a widespread practice.
    It will probably involve being on a national white person register, and anyone who isn't on the White person register will have surveillance placed on their phone lines and emails, and probably the federal police being granted warrants to rifle through their garbage.. Something along those lines. Right before the Muslims are forced to move to special ghettos. Oh wow, Muslim ghettos. Pauline hansons wet dream.

  3. #463
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,182
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoghurt View Post
    Its such an awful concept i shouldnt laugh but it's so ridiculous i actually choked on my drink reading it and burst out laughing
    Oh yes, a wall to stop Mexicans from coming across the border and stealing jobs from Americans and a ban on Muslims entering the country, he's basically the American female Pauline Hanson but a slightly more intelligent version of human, only because he somehow became a billionaire.

  4. #464
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,182
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Looks like the Libs might get it without needing to do deals 72 seats confirmed, 5 leading
    I want to celebrate but even if they do get 76 seats it will be an unstable government and impossible to get legislation passed through the senate with those loonies holding the balance of power. It's very sad indeed

  5. #465
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    6,644
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked
    3,028
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Oh yes, a wall to stop Mexicans from coming across the border and stealing jobs from Americans and a ban on Muslims entering the country, he's basically the American female Pauline Hanson but a slightly more intelligent version of human, only because he somehow became a billionaire.
    He's not that intelligent. I'm fairly sure he inherited his money and he went bankrupt in the 80's and managed to save his wealth, but ripped off his investors. He's America's Alan Bond. Totally shonky.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

    Anjalee  (07-07-2016),BettyW  (07-07-2016),delirium  (07-07-2016),wobbleyhorse  (07-07-2016)

  7. #466
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    6,644
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked
    3,028
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make that 4 bankruptcies to get out of debt cause by over capitalisation.

  8. #467
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,269
    Thanks
    2,955
    Thanked
    1,410
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    He's not that intelligent. I'm fairly sure he inherited his money and he went bankrupt in the 80's and managed to save his wealth, but ripped off his investors. He's America's Alan Bond. Totally shonky.
    I read once that if Trump had taken the money he inherited and invested it in a very conservative fund then he would have made more than he did with all his business dealings. Hardly a savvy businessman.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

    Californication  (07-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (08-07-2016),wobbleyhorse  (07-07-2016)

  10. #468
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I don't know if there are many "left liberal" voters.

    However, when there were opinion polls regarding preferred PM before Malcolm Turnbull took the leadership from Toby Abbott, the pool of people participating in the polls weren't all liberal voters. I'm sure a lot of swing voters (who may have previously voted for labor) at that stage would have been considering voting for Malcolm Turnbull but would never in a million years have voted for Tony Abbott - but once the general public (particularly non-liberal voters) realised how ineffective Malcolm Turnbull is, especially in getting policies across that reflect his values more than the party's, his appeal was lost.

    Totally agree about your point #2 - I know lots of people who were massively ****ed off about it. I attended a liberal party function last month with Malcolm Turnbull in attendance where many party supporters were grumbling about him.
    When I say left liberal voters, I mean the moderates. Left of the party. Not left in it's own right.

    There are a lot of left leaning people who would've voted for Turnbull, though because of his own beliefs. Which was my pint because they saw he had back flipped or was gagged. The conservatives supporters and members of the liberal party don't like him because he is too left for them and many say he belongs in the labor party.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    witherwings  (07-07-2016)

  12. #469
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,182
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    He's not that intelligent. I'm fairly sure he inherited his money and he went bankrupt in the 80's and managed to save his wealth, but ripped off his investors. He's America's Alan Bond. Totally shonky.
    I did say "slightly" more. Like if Pauline Hanson has the intelligence of a cockroach, then trump has the intelligence of a Beatle. For example.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

    Californication  (07-07-2016)

  14. #470
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,182
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    When I say left liberal voters, I mean the moderates. Left of the party. Not left in it's own right.

    There are a lot of left leaning people who would've voted for Turnbull, though because of his own beliefs. Which was my pint because they saw he had back flipped or was gagged. The conservatives supporters and members of the liberal party don't like him because he is too left for them and many say he belongs in the labor party.
    Yes I see what you're saying although I don't agree that he would belong in the labor party. More likely that he would belong in his own party but he tried that before and it didn't work out for him. I also think he would make an ok president, which he also tried to make happen before. He's a very ambitious guy.


 

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Election thread
    By atomicmama in forum General Election Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-05-2016, 10:44
  2. May 2016 TTC 💕
    By Catrb092 in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 409
    Last Post: 14-05-2016, 07:31
  3. IVF/FET Jan Feb 2016 #2
    By Kookii in forum IVF
    Replies: 545
    Last Post: 27-04-2016, 10:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Philips AVENT Australia
Pregnancy and early parenthood is an exciting and challenging time, but it’s good to know there is expert advice on hand to ensure that your baby gets the best start in life.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!