+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I actually think the result went this way because

1.) Malcolm Turnbull has been a huge disappointment to the left liberal voters so they swung to labor

2.) The more right of the liberal voters are still annoyed he toppled Abbott so voted on the right elsewhere.
    I don't know if there are many "left liberal" voters.

However, when there were opinion polls regarding preferred PM before Malcolm Turnbull took the leadership from Toby Abbott, the pool of people participating in the polls weren't all liberal voters. I'm sure a lot of swing voters (who may have previously voted for labor) at that stage would have been considering voting for Malcolm Turnbull but would never in a million years have voted for Tony Abbott - but once the general public (particularly non-liberal voters) realised how ineffective Malcolm Turnbull is, especially in getting policies across that reflect his values more than the party's, his appeal was lost.

Totally agree about your point #2 - I know lots of people who were massively ****ed off about it. I attended a liberal party function last month with Malcolm Turnbull in attendance where many party supporters were grumbling about him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoghurt View Post
    Genuinely curious as to how Pauline plans on heroically stamping out what she is presenting as a widespread practice.
    It will probably involve being on a national white person register, and anyone who isn't on the White person register will have surveillance placed on their phone lines and emails, and probably the federal police being granted warrants to rifle through their garbage.. Something along those lines. Right before the Muslims are forced to move to special ghettos. Oh wow, Muslim ghettos. Pauline hansons wet dream.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoghurt View Post
    Its such an awful concept i shouldnt laugh but it's so ridiculous i actually choked on my drink reading it and burst out laughing
    Oh yes, a wall to stop Mexicans from coming across the border and stealing jobs from Americans and a ban on Muslims entering the country, he's basically the American female Pauline Hanson but a slightly more intelligent version of human, only because he somehow became a billionaire.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Looks like the Libs might get it without needing to do deals 72 seats confirmed, 5 leading
    I want to celebrate but even if they do get 76 seats it will be an unstable government and impossible to get legislation passed through the senate with those loonies holding the balance of power. It's very sad indeed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Oh yes, a wall to stop Mexicans from coming across the border and stealing jobs from Americans and a ban on Muslims entering the country, he's basically the American female Pauline Hanson but a slightly more intelligent version of human, only because he somehow became a billionaire.
    He's not that intelligent. I'm fairly sure he inherited his money and he went bankrupt in the 80's and managed to save his wealth, but ripped off his investors. He's America's Alan Bond. Totally shonky.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (07-07-2016),BettyW  (07-07-2016),delirium  (07-07-2016),wobbleyhorse  (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make that 4 bankruptcies to get out of debt cause by over capitalisation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    He's not that intelligent. I'm fairly sure he inherited his money and he went bankrupt in the 80's and managed to save his wealth, but ripped off his investors. He's America's Alan Bond. Totally shonky.
    I read once that if Trump had taken the money he inherited and invested it in a very conservative fund then he would have made more than he did with all his business dealings. Hardly a savvy businessman.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Californication  (07-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (08-07-2016),wobbleyhorse  (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I don't know if there are many "left liberal" voters.

However, when there were opinion polls regarding preferred PM before Malcolm Turnbull took the leadership from Toby Abbott, the pool of people participating in the polls weren't all liberal voters. I'm sure a lot of swing voters (who may have previously voted for labor) at that stage would have been considering voting for Malcolm Turnbull but would never in a million years have voted for Tony Abbott - but once the general public (particularly non-liberal voters) realised how ineffective Malcolm Turnbull is, especially in getting policies across that reflect his values more than the party's, his appeal was lost.

Totally agree about your point #2 - I know lots of people who were massively ****ed off about it. I attended a liberal party function last month with Malcolm Turnbull in attendance where many party supporters were grumbling about him.
    When I say left liberal voters, I mean the moderates. Left of the party. Not left in it's own right.

There are a lot of left leaning people who would've voted for Turnbull, though because of his own beliefs. Which was my pint because they saw he had back flipped or was gagged. The conservatives supporters and members of the liberal party don't like him because he is too left for them and many say he belongs in the labor party.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I did say "slightly" more. Like if Pauline Hanson has the intelligence of a cockroach, then trump has the intelligence of a Beatle. For example.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Californication  (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    When I say left liberal voters, I mean the moderates. Left of the party. Not left in it's own right.

There are a lot of left leaning people who would've voted for Turnbull, though because of his own beliefs. Which was my pint because they saw he had back flipped or was gagged. The conservatives supporters and members of the liberal party don't like him because he is too left for them and many say he belongs in the labor party.
    Yes I see what you're saying although I don't agree that he would belong in the labor party. More likely that he would belong in his own party but he tried that before and it didn't work out for him. I also think he would make an ok president, which he also tried to make happen before. He's a very ambitious guy.