+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    But but b ut, didn't you know Christians are special??!!

Like how nun attire is toootally a sign of devotion, but a burqa, hijab and niqab is toootally a sign of oppression. Totally.
    Such an accepting religion Christianity.
    Now if you'll excuse me I need to burn in hell for supporting same sex marriage.
    I find this a bit offensive, sorry, & I understand what @teenie was saying. I am a christian, & I 100% and would fiercely defend the right for ANYONE to practice their religion, whatever it may be. I have friends from a range of religions (and no religion), & we are all "accepting" as you put it. I completely agree there are ar$eholes who are christian - just like there are ar$eholes who are muslim, hindu, buddhist & athiest. Let's not put everyone in one basket based on religion - otherwise we are really not any better than Pauline Hanson putting all "muslims" or "asians" or whoever else she opposes into one basket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I find this a bit offensive, sorry, & I understand what @teenie was saying. I am a christian, & I 100% and would fiercely defend the right for ANYONE to practice their religion, whatever it may be. I have friends from a range of religions (and no religion), & we are all "accepting" as you put it. I completely agree there are ar$eholes who are christian - just like there are ar$eholes who are muslim, hindu, buddhist & athiest. Let's not put everyone in one basket based on religion - otherwise we are really not any better than Pauline Hanson putting all "muslims" or "asians" or whoever else she opposes into one basket.
    ETA - my god, I wish we could just live in peace with each other regardless of religion or colour or sexual preference! Sadly, not in our lifetime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    As far as I know, half the senate is up for re-election at each election. But this time the whole senate was up (due to double dissolution). It will revert back to normal, so half the senate will go up next time, possibly even though they wouldn't have served 6 years?
    Yep. As soon as the Senate sits again they'll decide who gets 6 year terms and who gets 3. There's two methods of deciding. If anyone is interested, Antony Green had an informative blog post about it

Eta : the two methods are the order method so the first six to be elected get the six year terms and the next 3, or the recount method where they recount as if it was a half senate election where there is a higher quota

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/...ssolution.html

Shorter explanations: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...lained/7571406
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 05-07-2016 at 21:04.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-07-2016),harvs  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    Like how nun attire is toootally a sign of devotion, but a burqa, hijab and niqab is toootally a sign of oppression. Totally.
    Good point!. IMO both are (under the surface) oppression dressed up in freedom-of-choices-clothing. However I would defend a woman's right to chose that path.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Haha. Currently a single poly woman.
    So you're ideologically polygamous, but single in practice? (I'm intrigued).

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    Yep. As soon as the Senate sits again they'll decide who gets 6 year terms and who gets 3. There's two methods of deciding. If anyone is interested, Antony Green had an informative blog post about it

Eta : the two methods are the order method so the first six to be elected get the six year terms and the next 3, or the recount method where they recount as if it was a half senate election where there is a higher quota

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/...ssolution.html
    I read that article. It made my head hurt ☺

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Yep I've had to read it three times to make sure I understand it lol. And I'm not sure I do haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like it! 😂

Now, that's showing my age... Not everyone will get that reference...
    We actually sang along to that last night to make us feel better!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (05-07-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    It just means that half the senate will have 3 year terms, and half will have 6 year terms.

There are 2 ways of working it out - and different senators will get the 6 year terms under each method though so they will have a fun little stoush working out who gets the longer terms.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Election 2016

But why?

Because of the DD? 6 years is so long!

Does that mean some electorates won't get to vote for the senate?

I know these are stupid questions. Sorry. I can't politics. It bends my head.

ETA I just read Antony's article and I get it!

*whispers* I still don't get it!
    Last edited by harvs; 05-07-2016 at 22:31.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (05-07-2016)