+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Actually I think of the election result as having the opposite effect, but I see your point as well. The loss of seats means that the traditional right-wing party line is not winning Australians over. People aren't happy with the coalition's immigration policy, education funding cuts etc.. If the LNP continue doing what they've been doing over the last 3 years they will lose even more support.

I realise that policies and promises won't be based on Malcolm turnbull's personal values and beliefs, but I still can't see him agreeing to make deals which will take religious freedoms away from people.
    One of the arguments I understand is being run at the moment is that if Malcolm went harder on traditional conservative values, they would have won comfortably, and not lost votes to the right wing minor parties. He was elected leader internally on the promise he was more electable than Tony Abbott - and that may not have been the case, as it turns out, so there will be a lot of pressure on him internally.

If the Libs are returned (which I think is most likely), there will be very little in the way of socially moderate or progressive actions coming out of that government. I think you might be overestimating how much of the decision-making will be down to Malcolm personally.

It'll be a bit of shambles whichever way it falls, quite frankly.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (05-07-2016),witherwings  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ... I still can't see him agreeing to make deals which will take religious freedoms away from people.
    I hope not... but this made me think of this quote:

"I sometimes fear that
    people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
    worn by grotesques and monsters
    as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.

Fascism arrives as your friend.
    It will restore your honour,
    make you feel proud,
    protect your house,
    give you a job,
    clean up the neighbourhood,
    remind you of how great you once were,
    clear out the venal and the corrupt,
    remove anything you feel is unlike you...

It doesn't walk in saying,
    "Our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.com...imes-fear.html

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

besha  (05-07-2016),Gentoo  (05-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (08-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (04-07-2016),witherwings  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Made the mistake of looking at Pauline's policy re same sex marriage:

"If we allow the politicians to cast their vote on the floor of Parliament, then they have allowed the meaning of the word marriage to also incorporate same sex couples. If this is to occur, we must have the foresight to ask, “will it end there and what guarantee do we have, that in time, multiple marriages or marriage to children as young as 9 years of age, as is the customs and religious beliefs of Islam, be implemented”? "

*bangs head*
    Ps @witherwings, do you see what I mean about sly (and here, not so sly) insinuations?

This is the sort of thing that would come up all the time during a plebiscite about gay marriage. There's nothing illegal I can see about this statement. Almost criminally stupid (if only!), but nothing I can see that's illegal.

As you know, equal funding would be given to the yes and no campaign.

I really don't think society as a whole would benefit from voting on a human rights issue like this.

As for all the offensive comments - I'm big enough and ugly enough to take it - but what about the young queer kids growing up? What about the kids of queer families? My DS won't understand it (he's a toddler), but imagine the say 6, 8, 10, 12 year old kids of two mums or two dads having to face government funded advertising that says their family isn't as good as 'normal' families, and that there's something wrong with their parents and their parents should be treated differently.

And the bigotry that will crawl out from under various rocks emboldened by this sort of rubbish does not bear thinking about.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 04-07-2016 at 23:25.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (05-07-2016),gingermillie  (04-07-2016),rainbow road  (05-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (05-07-2016),TreeGirl  (05-07-2016),VicPark  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry... must get off my soap box and go to bed...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    You shouldn't have to have a thick skin though. Nor should your kids. Anymore than I should bc I'm short, I have anxiety or I love men, all things I was born with as well.

I really do think things are changing though, albeit slowly. I was listening to my daughter with her group of friends chatting and I forget how the subject came up (maybe a movie or show??) and they were saying oh yeah she's gay, yeah her girlfriend is so cute, but it was said in such a matter of fact way. Like it was completely normal to them (and of course it is, but you know what is was like when we were kids and the taboo). They are 11/12.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-07-2016),gingermillie  (04-07-2016),hopeful1986  (05-07-2016),JustJaq  (04-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (05-07-2016),twinklify  (05-07-2016),VicPark  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Sorry... must get off my soap box and go to bed...
    No please don't ever get off your soap box. What you have to say needs to be heard and drummed in. Don't stop talking

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-07-2016),JustJaq  (04-07-2016),twinklify  (05-07-2016),VicPark  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

I really do think things are changing though, albeit slowly. I was listening to my daughter with her group of friends chatting and I forget how the subject came up (maybe a movie or show??) and they were saying oh yeah she's gay, yeah her girlfriend is so cute, but it was said in such a matter of fact way. Like it was completely normal to them (and of course it is, but you know what is was like when we were kids and the taboo). They are 11/12.
    It's funny isn't it, how society can move in both directions at once... I know what you mean. There's a lot of positivity out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    No please don't ever get off your soap box. What you have to say needs to be heard and drummed in. Don't stop talking
    Thanks @gingermillie Don't encourage me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Election 2016

I actually think the result went this way because

1.) Malcolm Turnbull has been a huge disappointment to the left liberal voters so they swung to labor

2.) The more right of the liberal voters are still annoyed he toppled Abbott so voted on the right elsewhere.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-07-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (05-07-2016),delirium  (05-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (05-07-2016),witherwings  (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Election 2016

But her policies have nothing to do with the liberal's economic or social principles. And Malcolm Turnbull believes in climate change. His daughter in law is Asian, he supports marriage equality, I mean really, he would not only be doing a deal with the devil but literally become a sell out that no one would respect. If the leader of the coalition was tony Abbott, I might be worried about him actually doing a deal.. But not Malcolm Turnbull.

I get that whoever wins government would have to cooperate with the crossbenchers but I hope that cooperation doesn't involve adding racist, discriminatory or backward content into Australian legislation.
    He's just one person who has had to compromise his beliefs to toe the party line.

The fact is, many conservative liberal MP share her views on Muslims and homosexuals, like Cory Bernadi, Peter Dutton, George Christensen. Plus many more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What is truly disturbing is that Pauline Hanson hasn't changed her hairdo in 2 decades.

Come on girls, you need to identify the key issues here

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (06-07-2016),Chippa  (06-07-2016),TheGooch  (05-07-2016)