+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    The problem is that Pauline and some of her right wing loon mates *are* likely to hold the balance of power in the Senate, and if that is the case, legislation will need to be acceptable to her and/or whoever holds the balance of power to be passed. There's been speculation that the Senate cross-bench will be 9 or 10 senators.

I would be *hopeful* that her madder policies won't get any traction... but who knows. Politics has moved a lot to the right, I think, in the last 20 years. She was a real outlier (for an elected representative) when she was elected to the House of Reps in the mid-1990s, but now... she has some elected mates too... ;( I worry about where Australia and the rest of the world is going. President Trump? *shudder*
    I see - but let's say the coalition win government and they try to pass tax legislation, eg a change to superannuation.. It's not as if Pauline Hanson could come and say, "no sorry, I'm not voting for this bill because I want it specially mentioned here, right next to concessional contributions, that Muslims aren't allowed to salary sacrifice into super".. I mean, I understand making deals with cross benchers to get legislation passed, but surely it can't fly if she demands racist bits of legislation into bills that have nothing to do with photo IDs for example.

She could try to introduce her own bills but she wouldn't get enough votes. I don't know if she's really that much of a danger. Otherwise we might see another double dissolution election in the near future

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    She could try to introduce her own bills but she wouldn't get enough votes. I don't know if she's really that much of a danger. Otherwise we might see another double dissolution election in the near future
    She will get a lot of media attention though, and that is dangerous in itself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Made the mistake of looking at Pauline's policy re same sex marriage:

"If we allow the politicians to cast their vote on the floor of Parliament, then they have allowed the meaning of the word marriage to also incorporate same sex couples. If this is to occur, we must have the foresight to ask, “will it end there and what guarantee do we have, that in time, multiple marriages or marriage to children as young as 9 years of age, as is the customs and religious beliefs of Islam, be implemented”? "

*bangs head*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    With Europe falling apart, America fighting off Trump and the racism in Britain not sure we'd even blip the radar.

The world is ----'ed
    Yes actually I've been thinking this for some time, about how it's definitely a growing trend around the world. But why can't we be more like Canada? Their prime minister is a bloody legend. And their society is so tolerant. I remember something one of my ex boyfriends said to me many years ago when describing his home town of Toronto compared to LA where he was living at the time - He said that people talk about LA as being a melting pot of cultures, and they talk about Toronto as being a mosaic.

Why can't we be more like that?
    Don't be like America #belikecanada

Thanks
    Reviews

"If we allow the politicians to cast their vote on the floor of Parliament, then they have allowed the meaning of the word marriage to also incorporate same sex couples. If this is to occur, we must have the foresight to ask, “will it end there and what guarantee do we have, that in time, multiple marriages or marriage to children as young as 9 years of age, as is the customs and religious beliefs of Islam, be implemented”? "

*bangs head*
    She has a weird obsession with Islam. How did she manage to draw such a long bow there? Talk about a tenuous link.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (04-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

*bangs head*
    I'm surprised she didn't mention the legalisation of beastality and the collapse of civilisation.

Note - sarcasm.

In all seriousness though, I wish that there was prerequisite of comprehensive of IQ and psychometric testing before nomination in any local, state or federal election. It may weed out some of the fringe nut jobs.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 04-07-2016 at 22:38.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (04-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (08-07-2016),witherwings  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I see - but let's say the coalition win government and they try to pass tax legislation, eg a change to superannuation.. It's not as if Pauline Hanson could come and say, "no sorry, I'm not voting for this bill because I want it specially mentioned here, right next to concessional contributions, that Muslims aren't allowed to salary sacrifice into super".. I mean, I understand making deals with cross benchers to get legislation passed, but surely it can't fly if she demands racist bits of legislation into bills that have nothing to do with photo IDs for example.
    Ah.. you're trying to apply logic and reason! That's where it's all gone wrong

Pauline (and other cross-benchers) won't need to provide a good reason for not backing legislation put up by the government of the day - they can just not vote for it. They can come up with some half-@rsed reason if they like, but really, they don't need a reason. Behind the scenes, or even out in open debate, they can say things like 'I won't pass this tax bill (or whatever), until the government listens to my concerns about this mad thing', and hold the government to ransom a bit.

Going from rough memory here - but I think it was Andrew Wilke (independent) who did this sort of thing with Julia Gillard - made gambling reform (I think) a condition of his support for other unrelated legislation.

Cross-benchers (in either house) are incredibly powerful in a hung parliament.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

*bangs head*
    Did she just compare homosexuality with consenting adults, to pedophilia and child marriage??

I'm straight and that makes me wild. It must be exhausting putting up with this crap all the time

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-07-2016),JustJaq  (04-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I'm surprised she didn't mention the legalisation of beastality and the collapse of civilisation.

Note - sarcasm.
    Goes unstated where the gays are about

Don't worry, I'm sure her supporters hear the dog whistle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    She has a weird obsession with Islam. How did she manage to draw such a long bow there? Talk about a tenuous link.
    She's managing to insult two different groups she hates at the same time - gays and muslims, it's like a 2 for 1 deal.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (04-07-2016),JustJaq  (04-07-2016),Moxy  (04-07-2016)