+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I was going to say the same thing Witherwings. They can't claim for multiple women. As to the idea they have multiple women in separate homes and those women receive FTB for the kids, why shouldn't they? How is it any different to the dude who has a family and is having an affair with another woman who lives in her own home and she is claiming for the child?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    But it *is* that surprising for me. Where I live it's basically a Caucasian monoculture. There aren't the same tensions here that there are in other parts of Australia.

My understanding was it was the usual sort of vocal minority that have been protesting this ****e for decades.

I had no idea Hanson was even running until like 10 days ago. So yeah. It is a big surprise for me that a) she would run again and b) enough people would vote for her party for them to get multiple seats.
    I think I you live in a white monoculture you probably wouldn't see it or hear it because nobody would talk about it? But they would probably be more ignorant and afraid.

I live in a multicultural area and there's no tension at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not too sure what disturbs me more about Pauline Hanson being voted in:

a) the fact that there are enough racist bogans in Qld to vote her in; or

b) or the fact that the AEC are reporting she obtained approx 134,000 votes. I'm not clear on how the AEC report votes, but if that number was from first preferences, One Nation will net $2.60 per vote from the AEC which means she potentially will get up to $348000.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 04-07-2016 at 22:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yeah I get where you're coming from. I guess for me, it's knowing that the fact she got in means that x many Australians agree with her...which I find extremely sobering.
    it's quite embarrassing for our country

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I'm not too sure what upsets me more about Pauline Hanson being voted in:

a) the fact that there are enough racist bogans in Qld to vote her in; or

b) or the fact that the AEC are reporting she obtained approx 134,000 votes. I'm not clear on how the AEC report votes, but if that number was from first preferences, One Nation will net $2.60 per vote from the AEC which translates to $348000 approx.
    My Dad actually raised this the other day, saying she pops up each election to fund her next few years.

I am thinking the unfriend button on facebook will come in hand very soon. I thought I had picked my friends better, but I am saddened and sick by their support for One Nation. Makes me wonder what my 'friends' have been saying behind my back given that my DP was born in one of the areas on her 'hate list'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    it's quite embarrassing for our country
    With Europe falling apart, America fighting off Trump and the racism in Britain not sure we'd even blip the radar.

The world is ----'ed

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (05-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    Yep majority vote. Theres 76 senators (12 each state, 2 each territory). Based on what insiders was predicting for senate on Sun, the Coalition would either Labor, Greens or 9/10 of the micro parties. Where it might matter is what sort of deals they may need to do to get her support.

Eta - especially if they need her whole block for support
    It they do any deals with Pauline Hanson I would feel deeply ashamed for voting liberals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    My Dad actually raised this the other day, saying she pops up each election to fund her next few years.
    It's a nice little income earner for her. I'm tempted to run for Senate myself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Election 2016

I don't think it's a surprise at all. I think Australia has always had racism here way back in the 1800's when people were annoyed at the influx of Chinese people during the gold rush. The White Australia policy only ended 40 years ago. I know some people think that word gets thrown around too easily, but it's true...

ETA - racism been alive and well here since way back when the British invaded

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    It they do any deals with Pauline Hanson I would feel deeply ashamed for voting liberals
    They're closer to her than the greens (politically I mean) yet they've done deals with the greens.