+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Last night the ABC had the coalition at 74 seats and now 67. That's what is funny! That Scott Morrison was convinced that they would form government. I never thought labor would win but they've done better than most people guessed! I hope Malcolm is listening, but going by his speech last night, I don't think so. I hope the do form majority government. It won't be too long before they implode anyway!
    Yeah they definitely didn't expect to lose so many seats. I think losing seats was a given under any circumstances. The thing that won liberals so many seats last time was the "we're going to stop the boats" election promise and the fact that the labor party booted their PM, twice! So with the boats effectively a non-issue and the liberals doing exactly what everyone hated the labor party doing with their PM, it was inevitable they would lose seats, just not this many..

There were also lots of hard core conservatives ****ed off about Abbott being stabbed in the back. I feel bad for Malcolm Turnbull in that he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't. the majority of the party wanted him as their leader because he was leaps and bounds more popular than Abbott but the reason he was so popular was because of his stance on social issues which aren't aligned with the conservative members of the party. How could he possibly maintain his popularity after becoming PM when he can't actually integrate his values with the "party line"? So he lost favour with people who respected his stance on climate change, equal rights etc, and also lost favour with Abbott supporters who then turned their allegiance to even crazier conservatives like the lambies and the hansons.

Yeah his speech last night was bad. He's obviously on the defensive and trying to explain himself to the party who are thinking WTF? We had a landslide win last election and now are facing a hung parliament... What was the point of this? I don't buy his excuse about the construction industry. There are plenty of injustices in the country which haven't warranted a double dissolution before. He took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

I'm (maybe naively) optimistic about the result in any case as far as winning the election, but scared to think what kind of alliances will be made in the senate to pass any sort of legislation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    This exactly and here I was thinking that the population was becoming more tolerant and accepting. How wrong was I?
    More tolerant and accepting? Have you seen the stuff that people spew on Facebook about Islam and immigrants? Oh my god, Australia is full of bigots and xenophobes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I think the Libs will end up forming a government. Whether that is in their own right, or with Katter and 1 or 2 others ... they still will form government.

I do hope for Australia's sake that it is a majority government. I would prefer a Majority Labor government than the trade-offs and horse trading involved in a minority government. It is just bad for the country ....

The hung parliament was disasterous for Julia Gillard. She had to trade away so many of their major promises and plans and it meant that she could not govern the way she wanted to ... ending in Libs winning the next election emphatically
    Agree with this. A hung parliament would be awful. I would rather see a majority labor government than an unstable minority government on either side that has to pander to independent's whims.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

I do hope for Australia's sake that it is a majority government. I would prefer a Majority Labor government than the trade-offs and horse trading involved in a minority government. It is just bad for the country ....

The hung parliament was disasterous for Julia Gillard. She had to trade away so many of their major promises and plans and it meant that she could not govern the way she wanted to ... ending in Libs winning the next election emphatically
    Yep agree. Hung parliament makes it so hard to govern.

I also agree with Wither that Turnbull is damned if he does, and doesn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hung parliaments are common in many other countries. Labor managed to get a lot of legislation passed with over 90% bipartisan support.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (03-07-2016),VicPark  (03-07-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    they did get a lot of legislation passed - but it wasnt the legislation they wanted.

They had to negotiate so much that it diluted their core promises and ended up with the whole 'liar' campaign that Abbott went to town on. The majority of the backflips and compromises that Labor were forced into were not of their own making, but required in order to govern.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    This exactly and here I was thinking that the population was becoming more tolerant and accepting. How wrong was I?
    The majority of the population seems to be becoming more tolerant and accepting. But the minority seems to be becoming more and more hard-core in their racist, homophobic, conspiracy-theorist opinions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's already been mentioned....but seriously....Fred Nile????!!!!! Who voted for this cretin?!

I am gobsmacked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I know it's already been mentioned....but seriously....Fred Nile????!!!!! Who voted for this cretin?!

I am gobsmacked.
    DH and I just caught up on insiders and heard that. Is that in NSW???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    DH and I just caught up on insiders and heard that. Is that in NSW???
    Yep.