+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    How can you really say that when 4 seats out of 150 go to independents? I agree some parts of Australia want an independent but I don't want one. And no one else in my electorate did either.
    Given the election results, do you not deny the Australian people are confused and dissolutioned with the current two party system??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate the preference vote system. The greens got 10% of the votes counted so far and only 1 seat. How is that democratic exactly? Labor has 35% of votes counted and 67 seats. It's just frustrating.
    Thankfully the huge swing to the independents that have won seats will likely support the coalition in parliament.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmum2 View Post
    In a nutshell, the Australian people have spoken. Australia is a democracy and it shouldn't be a two horse race. The Australian people want more choice. Independants have a role to play here and the Independants have done well. I voted Independants. Their policies is what is resonating with the Australian people. The two major parties are not listening to the people. Full stop.
    Not quite true IMO.

Independent candidates can be... idiots.

I found most independent Fed/State candidates in my area and surrounding areas to not be suitable for election.

It reminds me of someone DH used to work with. He used to run as an independent in Anna Bligh's electorate. His sole reason for running was to take votes from Anna Bligh. Other than that, he was a lazy idiot who did not give a sh!t for his electorate or state.

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I've just had a look at some early QLD Senate vote tallies. Seems Pauline Hanson is more popular than The Greens here. She was sitting on approx 133000 votes first preference votes. At approx $2.60 per vote, that translates to $345k from the AEC. Her popularity here makes me embarrassed to be a Qlder.
    I am not surprised. QLD dislikes The Greens. Always has. Because The Greens suppory same sex marriage, immigration and the environment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    How can you really say that when 4 seats out of 150 go to independents? I agree some parts of Australia want an independent but I don't want one. And no one else in my electorate did either.
    There was a huge swing to the independents, it's a significant shift in public sentiment. It might only be 4 seats but it's around 13% of total votes in Australia and that's a big deal for a country that traditional votes for one of the 2 (or 3) major parties.

My biggest disappointment is that so many people voted for Pauline Hanson and Jacqui lambie in the senate. I mean seriously WTF!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    There was a huge swing to the independents, it's a significant shift in public sentiment. It might only be 4 seats but it's around 13% of total votes in Australia and that's a big deal for a country that traditional votes for one of the 2 (or 3) major parties.

My biggest disappointment is that so many people voted for Pauline Hanson and Jacqui lambie in the senate. I mean seriously WTF!
    Agree there has been a swing.

In my mind it puts the majors on notice.

Was watching the ABC coverage last night and Penny Wong said they would need to look at why. Scott Morrison was quite cocky and implied that anyone who voted an Independent was throwing their vote away because their vote wasn't going to a party who could form government.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Agree there has been a swing.

In my mind it puts the majors on notice.

Was watching the ABC coverage last night and Penny Wong said they would need to look at why. Scott Morrison was quite cocky and implied that anyone who voted an Independent was throwing their vote away because their vote wasn't going to a party who could form government.
    Oh Scott Morrison is an absolute knob.

His rhetoric about winning the campaign versus winning the election was such a load of bollocks.

There's no way the LNP can say they've won this campaign regardless of the result!

Re: no counting til Tuesday @Sonja they have to transport votes to secure places to count when the margin is so slim so I imagine that's why it'll take some time.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (03-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (03-07-2016),TheGooch  (03-07-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    On preferential voting - I love it! I don't follow the parties recommendations though, I choose my own preferences and elections like this really show that it does make a huge difference in outcome.

I voted greens but I'm happy that labor got my second preference (even though my seat is an ultra safe liberal seat).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (03-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Not quite true IMO

I found most independent Fed/State candidates in my area and surrounding areas to not be suitable for election.

It reminds me of someone DH used to work with. He used to run as an independent in Anna Bligh's electorate. His sole reason for running was to take votes from Anna Bligh. Other than that, he was a lazy idiot who did not give a sh!t for his electorate or state.

That could apply to the current politicians as well. Most Australians know politicians are in it for themselves. And it could apply to politicians the world over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I understand people feeling disgruntled with the majors. I have voted green in the last 3 federal elections and will continue to do so even tho I'm in a safe liberal seat.

What bothers me is when people don't even know or care about the independent's policies. Derryn Hinch (who I cannot stand) was interviewed this morning and hasn't even formed his views yet! I mean seriously people just vote for him because he was (a) on tv and (b) is a **** stirrer.

If I were in charge you'd have to know 4 policies of the person you're voting for

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (03-07-2016),TheGooch  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm feeling OK about the outcome although I would have preferred an ALP win. I think the liberal party is going to go through it's own Brexit style clusterfvck of events in the near future after this result.

I am, however sorely disappointed and angry that people in my electorate voted Kevin Andrews back in. He's held this seat since 1991 and has the most backward, bigoted, narrow minded views I've come across. I despise him.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (03-07-2016),TheGooch  (03-07-2016)