+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We only have four house of reps candidates in my electorate - labor, liberal, greens and Australian Christians. I'll be voting greens, then labor. I'd rather the greens get the money for my vote than the labor party. But overall I'd prefer to see Shorten as PM than see Turnbull remain. He's really disappointed me. I thought he'd be a step in the right direction after Abbott, but unfortunately he hasn't really done anything of substance in the nine months he's been PM and panders to the far right members of his party more than I like. My electorate is a pretty safe liberal seat though.

As for the senate, I'm not 100% sure who my top six will be but I think the Australian sex party will get my top vote. They have quite a few policies I really like (it's just a shame that a lot of people probably dismiss them because of their ridiculous name!) so I'd say that's what I'll do.

And I rarely get a sausage sizzle but I like to have the option so I might make sure I go to a polling place with one just in case

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Election 2016

I have a postal vote to complete. Haven't filled out yet. Some of the parties to chose from are quite funny. Maybe the sex party deserves a crack this time round. As neither labor nor liberal can get their **** together

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've already done my postal vote, I hate going on Election Day. I normally vote for Liberal, but haven't been happy with their lack of good policies. Actually, I've found both major parties boring this year. There's nothing to entice me to vote for either, so Liberal got 3rd on my list. I went for Hinch. I'm tired of our justice system constantly handing out rubbish sentences or giving bail/parole to repeat offenders. Hopefully more pressure can be placed on them around Australia to change. Pauline Hanson was my second preference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Election 2016

I have no idea - which is really unusual for me. I think it's a combination of pregnancy and sh!tty candidates.

All I know if I actually don't want another minority government. I am sick of seeing the impact that the wheeling and dealing has on policy.

Need to think fast. Hopefully someone will say something to nudge me in this thread.

Edit - I'm vego so couldn't care less about the snag but DH will probably be interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Greens for me.

For those disillusioned with the majors I would encourage you to take a look at the minor parties. The Greens have moved to the centre in recent years and have some really good policies. They aren't as left as the once were.

Labor are now about as right as Liberals once were and the Libs have morphed into something I no longer recognise.

ETA a vote for a minor party also means that the majors are sent a strong message they need to change their policies. Tackling climate change, treatment of refugees and compassion towards vulnerable members of society eg single mums, those with disabilities, homeless are big issues to me and both the major parties fall way short on policy in those areas. The Greens have better policy in those areas and I hope that if we get a few Green members in the Senate at least, they can make a difference.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 30-06-2016 at 07:31.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (30-06-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (02-07-2016),PomPoms  (30-06-2016),Tiny Dancer  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst the greens do have some good policies they also have some very destructive policies too and I could never vote for them based on that. Have been looking at the smaller new parties and independents this year though. I live in the safest LNP seat in aus so my vote doesn't really count.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Who are you voting for and why?

Are there any politicians you admire?

Who is going to get a sausage sizzle on Saturday at the local voting station?
    The first and most important thing... my local polling place (primary school) has no sausage sizzle registered. They have been terrible and had NOTHING the last few years for council/state/federal elections. There is a website to check sausage sizzles.

ANYWAY, this year I am finding it harder than most. I am in Peter Dutton's electorate. My opinion on hom - douche who had done nothing for his electorate in years. Sick of him yammering.

The Greens candidate went for the last council election recently lol.

Anyway, vote compass has me between Labor and Greens.

And the douche will hopefully get voted out. Douche.

Anyone have any strategies on how to vote calmly with a 3yo and 12 week old? Seeming as the senate voting sheet is also ridiculously huge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Greens/Labour.
    Primarily because:
    1. I'm a scientist and would like a to have hope for a career in Australia. Funding cuts to science are ridiculous, people don't seem to appreciate how science is kind of vital to society.
    2. Policies on climate change - Liberals don't seem to give a ****, but we need to do something, anything, because this is the entire future of humanity being affected, not just our temporary lives.
    3. Marriage equality - this is just a no-brainer, change the damn laws already.
    4. The whole Safe-Schools things - conservative parties are actively contributing to homophobia instead of trying to stop it. Like what the hell people, stop being jerks.

Oh also - healthcare and tertiary education. Do we really want either of those to end up like America's systems? Please no.
    Last edited by deku; 30-06-2016 at 08:15.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (30-06-2016),atomicmama  (30-06-2016),BettyV  (30-06-2016),BettyW  (30-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (30-06-2016),PomPoms  (30-06-2016),sajimum  (30-06-2016),TheGooch  (30-06-2016),Tiny Dancer  (30-06-2016),witherwings  (01-07-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We only have 4 to choose from in the upper house. Libs, labor, greens and Australian Christians. I'll be voting for the greens and preferencing Labor.

I'm definitely getting a sausage sizzle and something from the cake stall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To say I am uninspired by either party at the moment would be an understatement.

I take voting quite seriously - to me it is an privilege, not an obligation - and frankly I am disappointed this year with the apparent lack of policy.

This election has been all about "What they're doing wrong", not "What we will do differently or right."

Come voting day I am still very undecided....

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-06-2016),binnielici  (30-06-2016),Californication  (30-06-2016),Frankenmum  (30-06-2016),Ngaiz  (30-06-2016),sajimum  (30-06-2016)