+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 628
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,070
    Thanks
    1,934
    Thanked
    1,500
    Reviews
    12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    2

    The worry is that the Liberal government has promised a tax cut to companies ... in the time when we really desperately need MORE government funds, not less. Our education and health sectors are crumbling, welfare and services also spiraling out of control ... and the government wants to cut spending even more and give a tax cut.

    Its a bit odd.

    (Having said that - I will still vote Liberal, as I always have )
    This is something I hear a lot. "I'll vote for x because I always vote for x." or even more disturbingly "I'll vote x because my parents always voted x." Why? If you can see major problems with the policies they're campaigning on then why vote for them this time? Party loyalty really confuses me.
    Each election I make my voting decision based on whose policy platform I believe will offer us, as a national and international society, the best future. If that's a different party from one election to the next then that doesn't worry me in the slightest.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

    SuperGranny  (05-07-2016),TheGooch  (01-07-2016),Tinkers  (02-07-2016),VicPark  (01-07-2016)

  3. #102
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,410
    Thanks
    5,373
    Thanked
    5,816
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    dont get me wrong - I am not voting for them simply because my parents did, or because I always have. Its an active choice I am making.

    my comment was more - I will still vote for them even though they have faults and some (quite a few) policies I disagree with.

    I disagree more with the policies of the other parties though - so it is what I see as the 'Lesser of all evils" situation.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

    BettyV  (01-07-2016)

  5. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,070
    Thanks
    1,934
    Thanked
    1,500
    Reviews
    12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    dont get me wrong - I am not voting for them simply because my parents did, or because I always have. Its an active choice I am making.

    my comment was more - I will still vote for them even though they have faults and some (quite a few) policies I disagree with.

    I disagree more with the policies of the other parties though - so it is what I see as the 'Lesser of all evils" situation.
    Thanks for clarifying. That makes perfect sense.
    Unfortunately, I suspect not all people who make statements like "I always vote for x" have thought about their decision to the same extent as you have.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

    BH-KatiesMum  (01-07-2016)

  7. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,850
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,897
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I find myself loyal to labor/greens not bc that's just how I've always voted but bc they fit with my ideology. I believe equality and in supporting the needy, not only bc it what should happen but from an economically rationalist POV we want to better educate and support these people to be happier, healthier and pay more tax.

    If I'm not a fan of Labor policy or the leader like this election, I vote greens. If I am (I've always been a Rudd supporter) I will vote ALP. But I will never vote conservative bc they simply don't fit with my world view and never will.

  8. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,850
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,897
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    dont get me wrong - I am not voting for them simply because my parents did, or because I always have. Its an active choice I am making.

    my comment was more - I will still vote for them even though they have faults and some (quite a few) policies I disagree with.

    I disagree more with the policies of the other parties though - so it is what I see as the 'Lesser of all evils" situation.
    I find your stance interesting. You are kind of conservative left, or maybe left wing conservative? lol I often agree with your views on politics, yet you vote Libs. No questioning or criticism of that, just find it fascinating where we all are on a continuum.

  9. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,070
    Thanks
    1,934
    Thanked
    1,500
    Reviews
    12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Election 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I find myself loyal to labor/greens not bc that's just how I've always voted but bc they fit with my ideology. I believe equality and in supporting the needy, not only bc it what should happen but from an economically rationalist POV we want to better educate and support these people to be happier, healthier and pay more tax.

    If I'm not a fan of Labor policy or the leader like this election, I vote greens. If I am (I've always been a Rudd supporter) I will vote ALP. But I will never vote conservative bc they simply don't fit with my world view and never will.
    I'm very similar to you in this respect. However, I'd add the caveat that should the Libs develop and campaign on policies which were suddenly in line with my leftie views, I wouldn't have a problem voting for them just because of their party history. I worry there are people who've always voted one way but aren't aware their parties positions have changed. For example, labor are far more centrist than they ever were. Are there people who have always voted labor who will continue to do so despite the fact that the greens are now better representatives of the views they may value? Just an example.
    Last edited by BettyV; 01-07-2016 at 19:38.

  10. #107
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,410
    Thanks
    5,373
    Thanked
    5,816
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I find your stance interesting. You are kind of conservative left, or maybe left wing conservative? lol I often agree with your views on politics, yet you vote Libs. No questioning or criticism of that, just find it fascinating where we all are on a continuum.
    yeah I am an odd mix of complexities :P

    I am fairly left on a lot of things. I did find myself in a major quandry last election as I detested Tony Abbott so much.

    I agree with Labor's policies on social welfare much more than Liberals. But I also believe in small government, in promoting business and many of the economic polices of the Libs.

    And I could not vote for Labor given the Union backing. The preselection, the union control, voting requirements and politicking within the party is a stumbling block I cannot get past.

    As for the greens - I agree with many of their environmental and some social policies, but could never, ever vote for them based on their economic policies many of which are woeful indeed.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (01-07-2016),witherwings  (02-07-2016)

  12. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked
    776
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    2 things
    The worry is that the Liberal government has promised a tax cut to companies ... in the time when we really desperately need MORE government funds, not less. Our education and health sectors are crumbling, welfare and services also spiraling out of control ... and the government wants to cut spending even more and give a tax cut.

    Its a bit odd.

    (Having said that - I will still vote Liberal, as I always have )
    I would encourage everyone to read this article in relation to the Libs promised tax cuts:

    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-report-finds

  13. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,612
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked
    864
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going through the senate list for QLD and came across the Australian Progressives. Not a bad bunch, I had never heard of them before

    I am still not 100% sure how I'm going to vote in the senate.

  14. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,070
    Thanks
    1,934
    Thanked
    1,500
    Reviews
    12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    I was going through the senate list for QLD and came across the Australian Progressives. Not a bad bunch, I had never heard of them before

    I am still not 100% sure how I'm going to vote in the senate.
    I like that their name is actually reflective of what they stand for. As opposed to the Health Australia party (anti-vaxxers) or the family first party (white heterosexual Christian families first).

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (02-07-2016),Moxy  (01-07-2016),PomPoms  (01-07-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Election thread
    By atomicmama in forum General Election Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-05-2016, 10:44
  2. May 2016 TTC 💕
    By Catrb092 in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 409
    Last Post: 14-05-2016, 07:31
  3. IVF/FET Jan Feb 2016 #2
    By Kookii in forum IVF
    Replies: 545
    Last Post: 27-04-2016, 10:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
GymbaROO
GymbaROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available Australia-wide. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!