+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

The worry is that the Liberal government has promised a tax cut to companies ... in the time when we really desperately need MORE government funds, not less. Our education and health sectors are crumbling, welfare and services also spiraling out of control ... and the government wants to cut spending even more and give a tax cut.

Its a bit odd.

(Having said that - I will still vote Liberal, as I always have )
    This is something I hear a lot. "I'll vote for x because I always vote for x." or even more disturbingly "I'll vote x because my parents always voted x." Why? If you can see major problems with the policies they're campaigning on then why vote for them this time? Party loyalty really confuses me.
    Each election I make my voting decision based on whose policy platform I believe will offer us, as a national and international society, the best future. If that's a different party from one election to the next then that doesn't worry me in the slightest.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (05-07-2016),TheGooch  (01-07-2016),Tinkers  (02-07-2016),VicPark  (01-07-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    dont get me wrong - I am not voting for them simply because my parents did, or because I always have. Its an active choice I am making.

my comment was more - I will still vote for them even though they have faults and some (quite a few) policies I disagree with.

I disagree more with the policies of the other parties though - so it is what I see as the 'Lesser of all evils" situation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    dont get me wrong - I am not voting for them simply because my parents did, or because I always have. Its an active choice I am making.

my comment was more - I will still vote for them even though they have faults and some (quite a few) policies I disagree with.

I disagree more with the policies of the other parties though - so it is what I see as the 'Lesser of all evils" situation.
    Thanks for clarifying. That makes perfect sense.
    Unfortunately, I suspect not all people who make statements like "I always vote for x" have thought about their decision to the same extent as you have.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I find myself loyal to labor/greens not bc that's just how I've always voted but bc they fit with my ideology. I believe equality and in supporting the needy, not only bc it what should happen but from an economically rationalist POV we want to better educate and support these people to be happier, healthier and pay more tax.

If I'm not a fan of Labor policy or the leader like this election, I vote greens. If I am (I've always been a Rudd supporter) I will vote ALP. But I will never vote conservative bc they simply don't fit with my world view and never will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

I find your stance interesting. You are kind of conservative left, or maybe left wing conservative? lol I often agree with your views on politics, yet you vote Libs. No questioning or criticism of that, just find it fascinating where we all are on a continuum.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Election 2016

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I find myself loyal to labor/greens not bc that's just how I've always voted but bc they fit with my ideology. I believe equality and in supporting the needy, not only bc it what should happen but from an economically rationalist POV we want to better educate and support these people to be happier, healthier and pay more tax.

If I'm not a fan of Labor policy or the leader like this election, I vote greens. If I am (I've always been a Rudd supporter) I will vote ALP. But I will never vote conservative bc they simply don't fit with my world view and never will.
    I'm very similar to you in this respect. However, I'd add the caveat that should the Libs develop and campaign on policies which were suddenly in line with my leftie views, I wouldn't have a problem voting for them just because of their party history. I worry there are people who've always voted one way but aren't aware their parties positions have changed. For example, labor are far more centrist than they ever were. Are there people who have always voted labor who will continue to do so despite the fact that the greens are now better representatives of the views they may value? Just an example.
    Last edited by BettyV; 01-07-2016 at 19:38.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I find your stance interesting. You are kind of conservative left, or maybe left wing conservative? lol I often agree with your views on politics, yet you vote Libs. No questioning or criticism of that, just find it fascinating where we all are on a continuum.
    yeah I am an odd mix of complexities :P

I am fairly left on a lot of things. I did find myself in a major quandry last election as I detested Tony Abbott so much.

I agree with Labor's policies on social welfare much more than Liberals. But I also believe in small government, in promoting business and many of the economic polices of the Libs.

And I could not vote for Labor given the Union backing. The preselection, the union control, voting requirements and politicking within the party is a stumbling block I cannot get past.

As for the greens - I agree with many of their environmental and some social policies, but could never, ever vote for them based on their economic policies many of which are woeful indeed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-07-2016),witherwings  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2 things
    The worry is that the Liberal government has promised a tax cut to companies ... in the time when we really desperately need MORE government funds, not less. Our education and health sectors are crumbling, welfare and services also spiraling out of control ... and the government wants to cut spending even more and give a tax cut.

Its a bit odd.

(Having said that - I will still vote Liberal, as I always have )
    I would encourage everyone to read this article in relation to the Libs promised tax cuts:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-report-finds

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going through the senate list for QLD and came across the Australian Progressives. Not a bad bunch, I had never heard of them before

I am still not 100% sure how I'm going to vote in the senate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    I was going through the senate list for QLD and came across the Australian Progressives. Not a bad bunch, I had never heard of them before

I am still not 100% sure how I'm going to vote in the senate.
    I like that their name is actually reflective of what they stand for. As opposed to the Health Australia party (anti-vaxxers) or the family first party (white heterosexual Christian families first).

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-07-2016),Moxy  (01-07-2016),PomPoms  (01-07-2016)