+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @~Marigold~ thinking about this more don't feel sad or frustrated about your DD and whether or not she eats. Worse case scenario she won't eat the food and has toast (which is what she'd have if she was home?). Best case scenario she eats or at least tries the food. And what if she likes it!???

She'll be fine. She's definitely not the first fussy eater the carers will have seen. And the carers at DD's centre thankfully never made me feel bad about it. They'd seen it all.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (28-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (29-06-2016),~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Marigold, did your DD have a good day? I hope she loved it : )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @~Marigold~ thinking about this more don't feel sad or frustrated about your DD and whether or not she eats. Worse case scenario she won't eat the food and has toast (which is what she'd have if she was home?). Best case scenario she eats or at least tries the food. And what if she likes it!???

She'll be fine. She's definitely not the first fussy eater the carers will have seen. And the carers at DD's centre thankfully never made me feel bad about it. They'd seen it all.
    Thank you for this, it really is very helpful advice. You're absolutely right.
    My anxiety is just thrashing me at the moment and I'm just over thinking it.
    She would eat any number of things at home, but yes she will only eat bread toasted. She's never taken a liking to sandwiches and the staff seemed really surprised at that one. Oh well. If she eats something new, bonus
    After daycare today she was starving so I took her to her favourite Vietnamese take away place and she demolished beef steamed dumplings and egg noodle soup and even shared my fried rice and I was like, gaaaahh! If only they served this at daycare, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hi Marigold, did your DD have a good day? I hope she loved it : )
    Hi hun, so kind of you to ask, thank you. She had an absolute ball! She literally skipped into the centre, she was so excited to be there. We often walk past it and see the kids playing outside and she would always comment about how much she wished she could go there
    I'm very relieved at that at least.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (28-06-2016),littleriv  (29-06-2016),Sonja  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    She sounds like my DD. She hates pretty much every "kid" food and always has. Sausages, spag Bol etc. But would down Vietnamese with great gusto.

She'll be fine ❤️

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    She sounds like my DD. She hates pretty much every "kid" food and always has. Sausages, spag Bol etc. But would down Vietnamese with great gusto.

She'll be fine ❤️
    So true xx
    Thanks again, you've made me feel so much better Gotta stress less!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, today was the dreaded beef stroganoff. No deal. I explained that she'd happily dig into a big bowl of the penne pasta, beef strips and even eats raw mushrooms, but not with the creamy sauce. So again when I took her home she devoured chicken schnitzel, a blueberry muffin and later on a salami roll. So she certainly can eat, but unfortunately daycare will never see that. Her main room educator is great and very understanding and I explained that at home when I really want her to eat something she's suddenly became fussy with (say spaghetti bol for eg, she has always eaten it up until recently) I'll actually sit with her and we make a game out of it, I'll say let's count backwards from 10 and actually feed her those 10 mouthfuls myself while distracting her with counting. Because usually if she's feeling a bit mediocre about the meal she'll just push her food around and take a single bite or refuse to feed herself. So she's said she's happy to help her one on one at meal times and try to get her to eat.
    The staff have told me that she's already come up with excuses at lunch time , saying she's still full from breakfast! Cheeky girl. She knows if she says she doesn't like it they'll encourage her to try it.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 29-06-2016 at 15:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD started daycare at 15 months and over time she basically ate what they ate. At first she didn't eat a whole lot, but she was there from 8:30am to 6:00pm and hunger obviously forced her to eat. I credit daycare with the fact that she will now eat pretty much anything healthy and normal. Oddly though, she doesn't like chocolate, cake or muffins (might have to get her tested to see if she's genetically related to me! ).

I wouldn't stress, kids will either catch up at home or bite the bullet and try daycare food. I don't think a centre should have to cater to the needs of each individual fussy child.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On the days my DD wouldn't eat (whilst settling in) they would give her a vegemite sandwich. Only if she absolutely refused her meal. So perhaps they will do that? Or perhaps they'll make a version of the meal for her eg
    if it's butter chicken and rice could they just give the rice?
    I remember my DS telling me a child brought in his own food. No allergies (which they cater for anyway) just was fussy and wanted his own stuff

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    On the days my DD wouldn't eat (whilst settling in) they would give her a vegemite sandwich. Only if she absolutely refused her meal. So perhaps they will do that? Or perhaps they'll make a version of the meal for her eg
    if it's butter chicken and rice could they just give the rice?
    I remember my DS telling me a child brought in his own food. No allergies (which they cater for anyway) just was fussy and wanted his own stuff
    Making her an alternate meal will be the last resort, I really want her to first at least *try* the food she's offered and of course the staff agree. But yes, she will offered something she will actually eat if all else fails. Like today with the beef stroganoff, she'd have happily eaten the pasta and beef, just not the sauce. Her main educator in the room gets it and will try her best to encourage her to eat what everyone else is having.
    I really don't want her to think that there will be an alternative version on offer, but then again she will be doing full days so don't want her starving herself all day long, either.
    All I (and the centre) can do is offer and encourage the little bugger :/ Hopefully she'll make some progress.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (29-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like your DD is really taking to preschool like a duck to water! My DD-4 in July- is rather headstrong. I am sure at lunchtime at preschool she says things like 'no, not acceptable' and she eats only bread. If she doesn't like it, or is tired or over it, it won't happen... thats okay... i have food in the car for her when i pick her up...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-06-2016)