+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Fussy eater- daycare

My DD is nearly 4 and is having her daycare orientation today.
    She was the only child in a group of around 20 who refused to touch her lunch (sandwiches). She has never liked them and will only eat toast at home. The carer had to call me into the room as she just wouldn't eat. I hate this. It's only going to get worse, I saw the menu of their usual foods (beef strog, chicken curry with rice, spag bol etc) and she won't eat any of that. She hates sauces etc...at home she generally eats plain meat (steak/chicken etc) with plain pasta on the side, nothing mixed in. She loves tinned tuna, plain rice, grated cheese. Some veg. There's no way she will eat a casserole.
    I am feeling so crappy and like a failure right now. Every other kid in the room happily eats, except my daughter.
    What should I do? Just get the staff to encourage her to eat what they serve? Or ask them to give her what I know she will eat?
    She will be starving every day at this rate.
    I hate this.
    Anyone else go through this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know every kid is different, but my DD1 was super fussy when she started daycare. She lived on toast and apples.

Her daycare had an amazing menu, different curries and casserole dishes every day for lunch. I was so scared she would never eat, but she ate everything that was put in front of her by the end of the first week. They weren't overly pushy either. I think it may have just been a case of "well the other kids are all eating so I will try it" and she realised food isn't as bad as she thought it was.

Maybe have a chat to the director and see what they do with other fussy kids? They would have come across others for sure!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It will go one of 2 ways. My eldest was like that (she started at 3) but nothing they did made her eat the food she hated. Like you're DD it was anything mixed or casseroles. Easy and good you expect at daycare. Nope she would touch it. They told me she would eventually. Even with the pizza she'd pick everything off and just eat the base.

After a while once all the kids had eaten she'd have a Vegemite sandwich.

I spent months excited thinking she was eating this wide variety of food but nope she wouldn't touch it.

She's nearly 11 now and still hates that type of food.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I completely understand how you must feel. My DS has a very limited diet (sensory related/ASD) and if he was put in that environment he simply wouldn't try the foods on offer. And no, he doesn't give a honk if all the other kids around him are eating the foods - it simply doesn't work like that for some children!

My DS is in preschool (NSW) and I don't have to worry about this as us parents have to provide packed lunches.

I would ask what they do when they have little ones that won't eat. Surely they should be able to provide an alternative (even if it's something basic like toast)? Perhaps they can offer her what everyone else is having to begin with, but follow up with something she is known to eat as a plan b.

I would not feel comfortable knowing my child was unlikely to eat anything all day without being provided an alternative.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with @Mod-Degrassi. I asked them to encourage DD to try the food but if she wasn't going to eat it then don't force her to but move on to something else.

I went into the whole daycare experience thinking they would "fix" DD's fussiness which in hindsight was naive.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-06-2016),MrsIsMe  (28-06-2016),~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no answers but totally hear you. DS2 starts preschool 2 days a week next year and they provide the food. I've looked at the menu and no way will he touch any of it 😞

As it is a Steiner school they won't be offering him alternatives - so I'm super stressed about it. The curse of the fussy eater.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree with @Mod-Degrassi. I asked them to encourage DD to try the food but if she wasn't going to eat it then don't force her to but move on to something else.

I went into the whole daycare experience thinking they would "fix" DD's fussiness which in hindsight was naive.
    I have spoken with the staff and this is exactly what I want and what they offered. She will be served whatever is on the menu and encouraged to eat that but will not go hungry if she refuses it.
    She is extremely strong willed and I very much doubt she will eat just because the others are. I hope it improves though, it's so stressful having a fussy eater.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (28-06-2016),MrsIsMe  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me! And it sucks! I completely understand the feeling of failure. I am so sick and tired of the conversations about food my son will not eat .

The he sad thing is he was not a fussy eater prior to daycare but now he will eat plain rice, sandwiches and rice cakes there. It is making me bat **** crazy!! I do think their menu is quite vomit worthy a lot of the time (and yes we've given feedback etc etc) and I personally would rather go hungry than eat tuna bake BUT he would happily devour a good steak and roast veg.

We we are at a stage right now where this has been an issue for over a year and I've told them I do not want to hear about it anymore and I do not want them banging on at him about food either. He gets served his lunch and he either eats it or he doesn't, end of story. Majority of the time he does not. He comes home very cranky (hangry!) and I combat this by having a sandwich made and ready to be eaten as soon as he walks in the door or in the car to footy training for the eldest to take the edge off. Seems to have really helped.

Good luck, it really is a hard situation.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsIsMe For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-06-2016),~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fussy eater- daycare

This might sound harsh but dd1 simply goes without when she's at daycare. I give her a big breakfast and she eats when she gets home around 3pm. It's only now after months she is finally touching their morning and afternoon tea (they provide this too) - usually a biscuit or rice cake.
    The staff keep telling me it's ok to bring something in for her but honestly if she was that hungry then she can eat their food.
    (Eta: and like @MrsIsMe I'd wish they'd just stop bringing it up)

They do offer sandwiches, plain rice and pasta on the side if that's what is for lunch to cater for fussy eaters but dd1 is the fussiest of all and has a major distrust of foods from other sources. She'll happily starve herself (like her mother lol).

I feel ya!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-06-2016 at 14:39.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

MrsIsMe  (28-06-2016),~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was like this.. Eventually he began nibbling at what everyone else was having.. It took a while but we got there. On the days he refused he would have milk.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-06-2016)