+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cat / cat litter

Hi everyone,
    As this is my first pregnancy I'm still getting my bearings on what is and isn't aloud.
    I have a cat and I usually scoop his litter every day (he's an indoor cat). My mum just told me she doesn't think it's good for the baby to be cleaning cat litter.
    I also pick up the dog droppings as well, unsure if that's safe either?
    I live on an farm with cows and horses so it's a bit hard to avoid animal droppings... just wondering if anyone has been in this situation and had no problems?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cat / cat litter

Cat litter is a big no no whilst pregnant. Well animal p00p in general.

If you have no other options make sure the litter is in a well ventilated area, use disposable gloves and clean up well afterwards. Same for getting the dog droppings - can you use a shovel or similar for that?

Edit - and to answer the actual question lol yes I had to clean up after my cat whilst pregnant with DS2. We were ok. I did as above and made sure her litter was changed completely every couple of days rather than weekly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can catch something called toxoplasma from cats poo and it can be very nasty while pregnant (harms baby etc). Having said that the risk is very low especially if you are careful and wash hands etc. You are much more likely to catch it from eating poorly washed vegetables or cured meats. I'm a vet so have had lots of contact with cat poo and I tested negative where's my SIL who is Spanish and has grown up eating cured meats was positive when tested during pregnancy.
    So basically try to avoid it if possible but definitely don't stress too much about it. Be more careful washing salad, veggies etc well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cat / cat litter

Cat poo is not infective until it's 24 h old, so change the litter twice daily and it's fine. Ur at greater risk from gardening as gardens have old poo and from raw meat. Need to heat meat to 64c to kill toxo, which is medium. Toxo from cats is rare , it's common overseas where eat rare meat
    Last edited by Lisau77; 28-06-2016 at 19:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the responses everyone
    I generally scoop it every day when I get home from work but ill change it more often than every weekend now too.
    My partner works ridiculous hours and I don't like poop sitting in the litter for hours when I could just quickly scoop it cause it smells too. He is an inside cat and is pretty clean but just thought i'd check. I'll get some gloves and bulk bags of litter .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I was in the same boat, and was told that chances are your already immune.

there's a blood test you can ask your dr to do along with your other tests

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nala9000 View Post
    Hi, I was in the same boat, and was told that chances are your already immune.

there's a blood test you can ask your dr to do along with your other tests
    Not necessarily. I'm a vet so have had lots of contact with cat poo and I tested negative during my pregnancy so had to be quite careful at work etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Not necessarily. I'm a vet so have had lots of contact with cat poo and I tested negative during my pregnancy so had to be quite careful at work etc.
    Hi! Me to! I've been a vet nurse for 9 years and tested negative to toxoplasmosis. So now have to be very careful at work. So just because you have animals doesn't mean you've been exposed.