Closed Thread
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Citibank offer the best account ive been able to find for overseas atm and eftpos withdrawals. There is no fee from citibank to use the atm. They arent able to tell you about other banks atm fees because citibank dont have info about every other bank in the world. Its like if you use an atm in australia that is a different bank to yours that bank charges you $2. So you cant expect citibank to give you info about every other bank. Its like you are ringing citibank to ask they questions about other banks. They wont be able to answer info about that. If you rang the commonwealth bank to ask them about st.georges fees they wouldnt know. The citibank account also does not charge you a foreign currency conversion fee like other banks would. Dont call them. Use the internet and just read the info on the site. Why would you think your card wont work over there? If you dont like the account, then dont use it. It will be cheaper than any other account ive been able to find but if it worries you then use a different bank and just pay the fees if that makes you more comfortable. I can tell that you seem really worried about this and i do feel for you but unlike ivf, the banking stuff is definate and easy to find out facts. I also cant tell you if greek atms will charge a fee because i dont really want to research every bank in greece for you. What i can tell you is that if you use the citibank account at least you wont be charged twice, i.e. by citibank AND the foriegn bank. Anyway, the fees arent massive. For example when i went to thailand a while back, if i used my st george account, st george charged me $5 to make an atm withdrawal and the thai bank whose atm i used charged me $3 for ysing the atm and st george bank charged me about 2% of however much money i withdrew, so if i withdrew $100, they also charged me $2 forgeign currency fee. So to withdraw $100 it costs me $5+$2+$2= $9 in fees each time. I realised that sucked. So someone told me about the citibank account with no atm fees and no currency conversion fee. So next time i went there i used my citibank account so i paid no atm charge from them $0, the thai bank still charged a atm fee, so $2 and no coversion fee $0, so that time, to withdraw $100, it cost $0+$2+$0= $2. So using citibank i would pay $2 to withdraw from an atm, instead of $9 when i used st.george. I have used the internet for you to research and it says that most banks in greece wont charge a fee for ysing their atms, unlike thailand where most banks do. So you probably wont have to pay any fees. But im not going to ring every bank in greece to ask them. Citibank will not be able to give you info about the atm withdrawal fees from other banks. The call centre staff at citibank will only know what citibank fees are. You're worrying a lot about very small amounts of money really. (Id worry about the tens of thousands on your ivf anf if it will work- that is something worth worrying about) I feel bad if my previous post sounded harsh. Please believe us all. The banking stuff will be fine. Im assuming you have never been overseas but please dont be scared. When i went to africa i was worried id get malaria, when i went to europe the first time, i panic bought a pair of thongs at the airport cos i thought maybe they dont have thongs in europe, when i went to india i thought id get the plague, etc.. etc...etc... None of these crazy things happened. I was fine and had fun. Actually, using atms overseas is easier because they give all the instructions clearly in english on the screen. Using eftpos if also exactly the same and if you worry you can ask the vendor for help. Honestly-it is all the same as in australia. Please believe me. And even if you pay fees, they might total $100 if you made lots of withdrawals, so its not much. I just used the citibank card as a way of saving me about $7 each time i withdrew about $100. I wouldnt waste my time ringing foreign based call centres, just read the info on the website and remember citibank arent trying to be difficult with not telling you info about what all other banks fees are throughout the world. Why would they know that. Their job is to tell you about citibank products. Incidrntally, the reason citibank are able to offer good rates and no fees is because they are an online bank which allows them to save money by not having branches and staff, then they can pass these savings on to you by offereing an account with no atm fees. Personal message me if you want and I'll give you my phone number and i can go over all this with you 'in person'. I do feel for you having to go overseas by yourself especially if you have never been overseas. I promise when you get back, you will be like, 'oh that was easy, i needn't have worried'. xox

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Juventina  (14-07-2016),Rhino  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @kategc

Hi , with our Anz card we had to wait 24 hours - we went inside the bank to ask as well . My husbands all over this detail !! I think we have a $1000 daily limit though .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky8 For This Useful Post:

Rhino  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Juvenita

@juvenita yes its on the site but i got an email from citibank saying they cannot guarantee if i will be charged or not so yes, that is why i am asking on here

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Rhino

Thankyou ! Good luck with your preparation in your travel in Greece . It's a great fun place to visit to ! Much easier than I anticipated Xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky8 For This Useful Post:

Rhino  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks stacey10 ������

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky8 View Post
    @kategc

Hi , with our Anz card we had to wait 24 hours - we went inside the bank to ask as well . My husbands all over this detail !! I think we have a $1000 daily limit though .

That will be why lucky, we don't have a limit on ours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there, i have been overseas i actually lived over in europe for 4 years on my own 10 years ago. i dont think you are understanding what im on about lol. i dont want to call every bank and ask what their fee's are. citibank said they cannot guarantee if other banks will charge me a fee. I have had nothing but drama with them since i joined up. they separated my two accounts instead of joining them, I never received a card then the linked account to transfer was not set up correctly either. I want to get all everything sorted before i go as I do not want to be stressing out when i get over there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kategc View Post
    That will be why lucky, we don't have a limit on ours.
    Hi Kate, how did your transfer go? x

Thanks
    Reviews
    @lissimmo i forgot to tag you in my previous post. Ive expsined why citibank say in the email they cant tell you whether OTHER banks will charge you a fee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @lissimmo oh, ok then, if youve lived overseas then you know that the banking is the same and you would have done all this before many times. So try not too stress. No citibank cant guarantee info about other banks. No bank can guarantee what another bank will or wont do. If you have no confidrnce with them, then you should make your own decision about what bank you want to use. The only other suggestion i have is to take 2 cards in case you lose one. Keep them in separate places, e.g. always leave 1 at the hotel in case you loose your wallet while you are out and about or in case one cards snaps in half or something crazy happens. Also check that the cards you plan to use work in australia /check right PIN number etc, by using them to make a small withdrawal in australia before you go, with time to do something about it if they dont work for some weird reason. No matter what bsnk you choose, they won't be able to provide or guarantee info about fees and charges from other banks in australia or overseas. If i still havent understood, let me know coz i truly am trying to help and please dont use citibank just because i suggested it, if you are uncomfortable with them. Maybe it would give you more oeace of mind to just use your normal bank and pay the fees. If a few hundred dollars at most means that you wont stress, then it might be worth it. Take care :-)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Rhino  (15-07-2016),SharonG  (14-07-2016)