+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Overwhelmed by kids stuff!

I'm feeling so overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of child related possessions! We have 3 children 7, 3.5 & 9.5mths and undecided on a 4th. Our house is just overrun with their stuff! We have a large house (12 rooms but open plan) & I try hide things away but am everyday feeling like we need a larger house! We love our location and financially can't move. Anyone else feel the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    I'm feeling so overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of child related possessions! We have 3 children 7, 3.5 & 9.5mths and undecided on a 4th. Our house is just overrun with their stuff! We have a large house (12 rooms but open plan) & I try hide things away but am everyday feeling like we need a larger house! We love our location and financially can't move. Anyone else feel the same?
    I felt like that when we had one kid and lived in a 5 bedroom house (with my MIL). But now we have 4 kids in a small 3bdr place. Only one living area, but have a sun room we use as a toy room and for storage because we have no shed or garage. Don't even have a dining room, just our 6 seater table shoved into our eat-in kitchen. I feel less cluttered here than I did in the big house. I think because in the bigger house, we bought stuff to fill space. When we moved here, we very quickly realised how much filler-stuff we had. We simplified (and honestly, could do with more culling) and haven't really noticed a loss of anything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! Trying to cull left right and centre but need to keep certain things. Maybe I'm expecting too much (I want display home uncluttered look lol)
    Also am replacing curtains with roller blinds, repainting and will redo our kitchen as soon as can afford

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I feel the same! I complain to DH that I feel like I'm constantly just moving stuff around our house - the kids do something with it and then I have to put it away. I am trying to teach them to put their stuff away. They are 5.5, 3 and 6m. But these school holidays I'm going to do a major cull of kids stuff. I've also recently implemented a rule that anything left out goes into a bin bag in the study for a few days. They're learning!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to weightbegone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have 12 bedrooms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like your house is plenty big, but I know what you mean!
    Tbh with that age range there's not much you can do as you must have newborn toddler and big kid stuff.
    I've been doing some reading on Marie kondo's methods of decluttering and organizing... Quite interesting

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the bigger the house the easier it is to fill. We downsized a few years ago, which meant we had to do a huge cull, and we do more regular clean outs because we don't have space to store tons of stuff.
    We also changed our kids birthday presents to experiences for us, and then a big ticket item from the whole family chipping in...so a bike etc from family...and an experience from us (can be anything from go-kart racing to going to see a musical, or lessons for something specific that the kids want but we wouldn't ordinarily do) and it made such abig difference and our kids LOVE it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only have 2 kids so can't relate exactly, but I know we have far less clutter than all of our friends/family with 1-2 kids.

Some possible helpful suggestions/things to try:

Cull cull cull. If it's broken, largely unused, missing parts etc get rid if it. Give away any double ups to charity.
    They don't need to keep every toy they've ever been given.

Do you have a hidden storage area? We have a man hole in the roof (with retractable ladder in-built) and anything currently not in use goes into a plastic storage container and stacked up there for later use. Garage could also work.

Have a designated toy room or toy corner where you can shove everything at the end of each day. Get the older children involved so they know this is what's done when they're finished playing. We have large canvas hampers for small toys and I try keep the big ugly toys in their rooms or stored in cupboards.

I agree with PP comments about suggesting 'experience' gifts rather than toy gifts. Annual zoo passes, theme park tickets, etc.

Also as children get older get them involved in choosing and donating toys to charities.

I do think a good toy clean out every 6 months is most helpful though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Two words : toy library!

I noticed that the friends with larger houses are the friends with the most clutter.
    Because they have the space they fill it I guess.

So I'd try and de clutter.

With so much space, surely you can have one room dedicated to play?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Do you have 12 bedrooms?
    No 4x2 + study, f/dining, theatre, activity, games, family, meals, kitchen. Using study as a nursery though