+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone on clexane during preg through ivf?

I have been told to take clexane (blood thinner needle) as I'm newly pregnant through ivf and nurse said my oestrogen is very high and could cause clots so that's why I need to take it.

Firstly that needle I swear is blunt!! Horrible.

My question is do you have to take it at the same time each day on the dot or just within a couple of hours of when you did it the day before?

Anyone on it too? It makes me scared thinking I'm more likely to miss carry or something so they put me on it? Crazy lady thoughts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi - not currently on it but was on it for my IVF pregnancy with DS2. I stopped at 16 weeks.

It is definitely best to try and inject it around the same time everyday to ensure that it does its job.

As for the needles, you will get better at it. A tip is to angle the needle slightly rather than go in dead straight. There is a slight angle to the actual needle tip if you look closely. It should help with the pain and bruising. Also press down firmly on the injection site once you remove the needle.

All the best for your pregnancy sending lots of sticky vibes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to be on clexane right up until a week before my delivery date. I found that the actual clexane burned like a biatch and found the needle not to be too bad. Pinch the fattiest part around your middle and switch sides every time. You should do it around the same time every day, give or take an hour. It gets easier, dh used to do it for me but I eventually became an expert. Don't worry about the miscarriage thing, they give it for so many reasons. I also found that some nights it really hurt and others I literally couldn't feel it, I guess it depends which part of the body you hit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't had it during pregnancy. My daughter was born sleeping last week and have been on them since. I was told to take them at the same time everyday to make sure it worked to its full capacity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeBabyIVF View Post
    Haven't had it during pregnancy. My daughter was born sleeping last week and have been on them since. I was told to take them at the same time everyday to make sure it worked to its full capacity.
    can I ask why they've got you on it now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps hope you're doing ok, I felt like I was on a different planet for a very long time xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BB77 For This Useful Post:

MaybeBabyIVF  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I took fragmin which is another blood thinner similar to clexane as I have tendencies to clot (have had dvt's, many mini strokes and suffer from antiphospholipid syndrome). I injected through my pregnancies and after as well as taking aspirin. As the previous posters said grab the fattest part of your belly and try not to procrastinate too much. Also inject around the same time. Good luck.
    MaybeBabyIVF, my thoughts are with you, I know how truly heartbreaking losing a baby can be. Sending hugs xo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    can I ask why they've got you on it now?
    They aren't sure if that's why Charlotte passed and because I needed surgery to remove the placenta and I'm normally fairly active they don't want me getting a dvt while I'm recooping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybebaby I'm so so sorry you lost baby Charlotte.

Thank you ladies for the tips. I will start doing it more around the same time of night now.. Oops!

I didn't notice that angle on the needle. Maybe that's why I feel like it's so blunt.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    As the others have said, the needle Is angled. Make sure the sharp end is facing down so it goes in first. I always iced the area prior to injecting, and always inserted
    The needle at an angle, and slowly injected the clexane. Good luck- either way look forward to a stomach full of bruises