+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returning to work advice please

Hi Everyone

I need some advice. I have been a stay at home mum for 6 years as I decided to have and raise a family and have 3 girls under 6. I need to return back to work but finding it so hard. I am in my 40's and have a strong background in administration but I am not even getting to interview stage. I dont want to spend hundreds completing a cert or diploma as it doesnt guarantee I will get a job. I have been out of the workforce for 6 years now and have no idea how to get back in., I was looking at maybe doing some voluntary work in admin just to fill that gap on my cv. Anybody know of any good short courses that might help or experience the same problem?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to hear you're having a tough time That must be really disheartening.

Have you looked into temping/contract roles? Sometimes temping somewhere will lead to full time work (this has happened twice in the past for me).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would try going for temp work also. The last law firm I worked at we often had temp admin staff in - more than once they ended up with full time work out of it.

Sorry you're in this position. I'm worried about my prospects for returning to work in the future as well - given my age and how long I'll have been out of the workforce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing as I'd love to hear ideas. I'm 9 years out with 3 kids. I'm considering studying maybe a big change but sometimes wonder if realistic and maybe should try and get back into office work. Interesting idea to temp. I did heaps of temping in my early 20's. Wouldn't OP still need to update skills before getting temp work? If not I'd see this as a great place to start. Are there any online courses you could do for free to update skills? Take a look at moocs - just Google. I don't know how seriously employers take these courses as they are free and many provide no official qualification etc but some allow you to be tested and at least it might help you feel more up to date? I've no idea if they have admin courses just throwing idea out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Temping is a great idea. Or could you try going to a recruitment agency?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think a gap in your resume should be a problem when you have a good reason for it (SAHM). I do think that some employers do discriminate against mums (although of course they would NEVER admit it), as they feel we'll be off sick when our kids are sick etc. Very annoying. Don't get down about it, just keep applying, the more no's you get is closer to a yes. Have you ever thought about working from home/starting your own business? I'm a Distributor for skin/body, health and wellness products and I love it. Happy to share more info if that is something you would be interested in. I don't know much about it, but I've heard about work as a "virtual assistant" where you do admin type work from home. Not sure where to get info on that though. Good luck with the job hunting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the support I was looking at the virtual assistant but hard to get info. I love computers and software so looking for something along those lines. Hard to know whether to stick with what you know or try a new area but then that usually adds on the cost. Will keep applying and just hope for the best. One position I applied for had over 600 applicants .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the ideas. Will have a look at contract or part time to get my foot in the door, I have registered with a few agencies and never hear from them once I register. Not sure how they operate. Will keep trying

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a look at your profile and you're in Perth yeah? It is the worst time to be applying for jobs at the moment thousands of people have been made redundant in the last few months so it's super competitive. I know of highly skilled people with great experience who haven't gotten a call back for entry level jobs. It's crazy at the moment.

Not trying to dishearten you, I just don't want you thinking it's something to do with you. It's just bad timing.

I would start with harassing the temp companies, try and make an appointment to see a consultant so you can get onside and they will push you forward to roles. Other tips would be, really do a personalised cover letter for every job application. When I get job applications (some roles will get 500+ because of the job market) there just isn't time to personally review every single one, so a good cover letter stands out and makes it to the review pile - the rest get deleted.

Good luck, I really hope something comes up soon for you