+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used kp24 rapid. Did the comb through once, then blow dried her hair, straightened it and re did the process again a week later.

I think we've been good so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to get them really badly as a kid, my hair was long and thick. My parents used the cheap conditioner and comb trick. But that won't kill the eggs, so it may be time to concede that the chemicals really do work better if they kill the eggs too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is combing dry hair (ie no conditioner) enough for a follow up? After doing the chemical thing? And how much do you spray with the tea tree. I've been doing a few squirts (quite a strong mixture). It has helped and this morning everyone was clear, but....... I though that a fees weeks ago also and the little buggers came back!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosey01 View Post
    Is combing dry hair (ie no conditioner) enough for a follow up? After doing the chemical thing? And how much do you spray with the tea tree. I've been doing a few squirts (quite a strong mixture). It has helped and this morning everyone was clear, but....... I though that a fees weeks ago also and the little buggers came back!
    Check the pack. Most say to apply again in a week.

Also Google 'lice life cycle'. You will then see why repeat treatment is important (regardless of if you're using conditioner or chemicals). The trick is to treat/remove before any hatchlings reach egg-laying maturity, then you break the never-ending nit cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't follow the repeat process you're just letting the eggs hatch and start again. Same with if you don't treat all hats, towels, bedding etc.

The conditioner is just to help the glide of the comb while trapping the nits and disengaging them from the hair strand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did the chemical thing twice (followed all the repeat instructions correctly). I think they are coming back from outside our house I read on this website that it is not necessary to do bedding. I did EVErYTHINg in the first instance and again when I discovered them approx 3 weeks later. http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/headlice

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was horrified to find my 5yr old had head lice about 6 months ago. Been lucky up til then as ds1 who's 8 had never had them before. I didn't even know what they looked like and it wasn't until ds2 was asleep I saw live ones when we had a power outage and I was tucking him into bed with the torch. Our pharmacist recommended "Nyda" so I gave it a go and used it a few times since, they love ds2's hair it seems as he is the only one who gets head lice. Unfortunately the indigenous often don't treat head lice, they just use the comb and comb out what they can so they breed more and spread through ds's class. Use a metal comb as they are finer than the plastic ones and ensure you get out the live lice and every single egg. I imagine it would be difficult with girls having longer hair. Getting them out of ds's very short blonde hair is quite easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend bought an electric comb that fries them if comes into contact with eggs or lice. About $60 I think. I'm considering getting one.
    I've used Moov and Banlice mousse. Both killed lice but not eggs so have to do it a week later to kill the babies that have hatched. I'm going to try that Nit Wits stuff having read good reviews on here. I need a product that actually kills the eggs rather than just claiming to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I was doing preventative tea tree oil and lavender oil spray and it didn't stop DS getting them for a second time. I cut his hair shorter on the back and sides and put loads of gel in on school days!!!

mumbron is offline Actions speak louder than words!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly recommend the brand Full Marks you can buy it from the chemist. Touch wood my kids haven't had headlice for ages