+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default best cure for head lice

DS started prep this year and the dreaded head lice has already started. He has lush thick hair so this won't be the first time. I also had them all through my primary years.

I'm after the best products to use. The old school oil and comb method or do chemical solution actually work these days? What does everyone use that works!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following! I was just about to make the same thread. My ds is in grade 3 and dd yr1 and we have had it for the first time (very lucky!) BUT that was almost 2months ago and I'm still finding the odd one, yuck! They just keep coming back / going around the family. I'm not sure. But now dd2 (20months) won't let me comb her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually think one of the best ways is the old school cheap conditioner and comb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has just had them for the first time. I have used a combined method of chemical treatment and comb through. You must make sure you get all the eggs. I did a chemical wash and then combed through with tea tree oil conditioner every second day and then another chemical wash a week later and then another week of combing through every second day. It took the 2 weeks of combing before I didn't get a single egg out (they are tiny and I couldn't even see them in my daughters hair). I will now use preventive methods to make sure she doesn't get them again. She has very long hair, so I don't want to go through that again. I hate them!!! Make sure you check your own hair using the metal comb and conditioner. My daughter never complained of an itchy head and I couldn't see any lice, but when I treated her (after getting the letter home from school), I found 4 baby lice and quite a few eggs. Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are the best preventative methods?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are sprays you can get, but I have read just putting some tea tree oil in their conditioner works (which is what I will be trying). You can use other oils also - the oils make it difficult for the head lice to attach to the hair and they don't like the smell. We'll see - fingers crossed we don't see them again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shebes View Post
    There are sprays you can get, but I have read just putting some tea tree oil in their conditioner works (which is what I will be trying). You can use other oils also - the oils make it difficult for the head lice to attach to the hair and they don't like the smell. We'll see - fingers crossed we don't see them again
    This is what I do some tea tree oil in eater spray bottle also some lavender. Spray the hair before putting it up.
    We don't get them very often these days only when I forget to apray their hair for a couple of weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had them here for the first time too, on my 7yo ds & 5yo DD. yesterday we did nit washes for the third time in under three weeks

How do you all get the eggs out? I find the nit comb doesn't get many of them at all, my daughter has super thick longish hair so getting them all out individually would be a nightmare. I've been doing washes ever 6-7 days but thinking of doing them every 5 days till we are rid of them! I found only 1 in my sons hair yesterday but 4 in my daughters hair. I do my hair too. Hate nits so much!!

I'll do the tea tree oil in the spray bottle from now on, thanks for the tip

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the metal comb - it really hurts. At first I got around 20 eggs, but subsequent comb throughs the number decreased. I obviously didn't them all in the first combing - stubborn things, but I think I got them all eventually. Doing just the washes is fine provided you kill the new lice before they lay eggs. I went OTT according to DH, but I didn't want to risk missing any.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw this review recently on bubhub maybe worth a shot? Results are in - 95% approval rating for NitWits All-in-One Head Lice Solution
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=551646