+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Perception of messy or 'a tip' is very subjective. To me, I can walk onto someone's house, they'll apologise for the mess and I think it looks fine! Just some toys strewn around, because kids are kids. But if it was my house? I'd see every bit of dirt and mess and it would bother the hell out of me. And that's the thing I need to remember, people are probably like that when they come to my house too. They don't notice the crumbs on the floor or the clutter on the bench. Because generally it is clean with just the usual family related mess around. I clean weekly (bathrooms, deep kitchen clean, mop floor) and do vacuuming daily, plus the usual wiping of benches several times a day after preparing food. And spot cleaning when kids spill stuff obviously, plus tidying toys ..yet still I think my house is messy. I'm fighting a losing battle. And I'm pretty sure everyone thinks it looks good anyway, given I have three kids aged 5 and under!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I think for me, too messy is walking into someone's house and it looks unhygienic or unsafe because of mess. From a child protection point of view (having done that job) mess, clutter etc is ok as long as the house is safe, generally clean and any stuff laying around is not causing a hazard.
    Family life is hard, we all struggle, but you've just gotta keep on top of it enough to maintain a safe, habitable environment for kids :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (29-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    I'm that person that will spend a day frantically cleaning before I have company and then still greet them with "please excuse the mess."
    Once, we underestimated the pre-guest clean up and I didn't get to the last few pans. I hid them in the oven....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-06-2016),LaDiDah  (29-06-2016),TheGooch  (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me:
    Kitchen is cleaned after every meal. I never leave dishes (we do have a dishwasher though).
    Vacuum the house daily
    Bathroom gets a big scrub 1x per week but maybe a wipe over every 3 or so days
    Dusting once per week
    Washing every second day. Folded and put away as soon as it is dry.
    Mop the whole house 1x per week but will do the kitchen as needed.
    Sheets changed fortnightly.
    Toys are packed away at the end of the day.

I don't like mess and it gives me anxiety so having an orderly house makes me feel calm and in control. I don't really care what others do with their houses as long as they are not so dirty or unhygienic that they are unsafe for children to live in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a bit of a clean freak, dishes are definitely done daily, never left around the house, I like our living area to look tidy but the toy area can be messy. Some times our bathroom bench has smears and dust on it and the toilet is dusty but they're both cleaned weekly. After we have guests I notice the floors are dirty which I don't like much but usually leave it til I do my weekly cleaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house is always clean, but can get cluttery. Eventually the clutter will do my head in and we'll have a big cull (of papers/kids drawings etc) and start all over again. I can't stand a messy/dirty kitchen. I won't go to bed unless the kitchen is clean and tidy. Bathrooms, floors and dusting are done weekly (plus spot cleaning when needed). I wash every second day and fold and put clothes away as soon as they're dry. Iron a couple of times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default how messy is too messy

My house is never a tip but does occasionally get untidy. We have a nanny who comes twice a week and she does a good clean of the house while kids are having a nap. But I load the dishwasher at least once a day, bathroom is pretty clean, maybe just needs an occasional wipe down, laundry is done daily and nanny folds 😳 I hate folding. My DH is a bit of a clean freak so things aren't left untidy after kids go to bed. I would say my house is pretty much 90% of the time clean and presentable and neat. If it gets untidy/messy/dirty, my DH starts freaking out and getting irritable. If we leave food on benchtops, ants come.

ETA: I don't do much cleaning at all, but I work full time so I think I have a good excuse 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Someone's got to fly the flag for the truly messy folk. I'm that person that will spend a day frantically cleaning before I have company and then still greet them with "please excuse the mess."
    This is me....
    Cleaning is not that high on priority list...for example my big cleaning day is Thursday. Last Thursday my son had an all day interschool footy carnival - I went and watched..the whole day, and did no housework. By the weekend the house is feral. I really need to mop twice a week (3 kids, 2 Border Collies and a cat), but it gets done weekly if that.
    I regularly leave dinner dishes til morning if I'm not working in the morning, if I'm tired. I regularly have to re-wash clothes I've forgotten to hang. I never make beds. I refuse to do housework at night - those 2 hrs of me time are the only hours I get and I'm not wasting them cleaning/washing! My house is cleanish but messy...except on cleaning day.
    I'm a single mum, work part - time and have 3 kids who do a lot of sport, I often feel like I don't have time to be a clean freak....but I probably just don't care about it enough...meh...but I still run around like a mad woman if I have guest coming haha.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-06-2016),ButterflyMa  (29-06-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My house is always messy. But it's always clean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big difference between messy and dirty. My house can get cluttery which drives me mad but with a toddler and a baby I have to admit defeat some days. My kitchen is always cleaned before bed and the sink scrubbed shinny, bathrooms get done almost every day, floors get a quick stick dyson vacuum every day (we have cats). So even if there are things strewn around one day, it is still clean.

I picked up some kids toys from gumtree once and the house almost made me sick. Kitchen floor looked like it had never been mopped, layers of dog hair, kitchen just smelt like years of baked on food, oh and chickens in cages sitting on the kitchen bench 😁 To me, that's dirty and i couldn't live like that.

I find what works to keeping a clean house is daily habits, that don't have to take too long. Declutter for 10 mins every night, clean the kitchen and have a clean empty sink before bed, do a load of washing a day etc. Then it doesn't all pile up.