+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how messy is too messy

Since for a change I'm sitting in a clean & tidy house I need some perspective (particularly given I have DHS on my back re house standards & am waiting on an assessment for the council disability services to clean the house fortnightly - won't be a problem as I had them at my last house but on a waiting list).

So when your house is messy/like a tip, just how bad is it? For me, it means we have no clean dishes because I haven't done them in days, no clean saucepans, the kitchen is unusable. There are plates etc wherever DS has left them (usually loungeroom floor), toilet/bathroom not cleaned for not sure how long, floors not swept/vacuumed/mopped for don't know how long & often rubbish (like packets etc not food scraps) lying around.

Yet I see others who say there house is like a tip & really it isn't. So how bad is too bad?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think this is individual.. My house is CLEAN, but my children can clutter it up by pulling every toy out of the toy room, so, at a glance it may look messy in areas, but in reality, it's clean. The dishes are done, I do laundry daily, the beds are made, I vacuum daily and spot mop daily, my bathrooms are done regularly as well as bathrooms and mirrors and a full mop weekly.

My version of "my house is a tip.." Would be, I haven't done the breakfast dishes yet, my kids have pulled every toy out and the beds aren't made. My tip takes 30 - 40minutes to get back into shape..

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (26-06-2016),cheeeeesecake  (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im not going to comment on the state of your house because i know you have been going through a hard time emotionally but is there anybreason why your ds leaves his plate where he eats? And at his age can he not give you a bit of a hand around the house. Hugs to you OP. I really hope things pick up for you soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My tip is probably the 2 youngest have pulled all their toys out on their bedroom floors, oldest has her dirty washing on her floor and a cup or two in her room. Washing drying on both indoor clothes racks, clean dishes drying on the sink/bench.

The house is vacuumed weekly-fortnightly, main areas swept a couple times a week (all are floorboards). Mopped fort nightly or less (slack off here), bathrooms done weekly (except showers), dishwasher runs daily and usually so does the washing machine. All rubbish and recycling are always in the bin. All dirty dishes go straight in the dishwasher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Im not going to comment on the state of your house because i know you have been going through a hard time emotionally but is there anybreason why your ds leaves his plate where he eats? And at his age can he not give you a bit of a hand around the house. Hugs to you OP. I really hope things pick up for you soon.
    This has been my fault - I have been very inconsistent on pulling him up & making him take things to the kitchen/put his rubbish in the bin etc. He is trying a lot harder to help more around the house but definitely from me allowing him to get away with it that he does it rather than him refusing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My version would maybe take 2 hours to fix. But that's usually messy not dirty, so toys everywhere, the kids rooms are messy, I have 3 loads of clean washing to fold. I can't handle dirty, but then that's my anxiety at play. I get extremely stressed and anxious, particularly when dishes aren't done, floors aren't vac'ed and mopped every day. So I would say my standards are high bc of my anxiety not bc of a judgment I have towards messy homes in general if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default how messy is too messy

food scraps would be pretty bad lol.

as others have said, I think it's entirely up to individual personal standards.

for me, kitchen is always clean verging on spotless. I like everything cleaned, put away, bench to be tidy, bin emptied, sink empty and clean. I freak out if dh forgets to put a used coffee mug in the sink and I find it in the couch arm rest or in the study.

however. my floors are terrible. dust and hair are the norm. I hate it but can't seem to keep on top of it. I rarely dust.

at a quick glance, my house looks orderly and tidy. if you look closer, you see the dirt and stuff I don't do.

I figure there's only so much time one can devote to cleaning. life is too short to spend chained to your house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    This has been my fault - I have been very inconsistent on pulling him up & making him take things to the kitchen/put his rubbish in the bin etc. He is trying a lot harder to help more around the house but definitely from me allowing him to get away with it that he does it rather than him refusing
    I understand. Its hard to get teenagers to do stuff. But just keep at him. It will be easier for you if he helps out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If my house is in its absolute worst shape:
    Kitchen - may take max of 30 minutes to get back in to 'super clean' state. Dishes are never left unless they're soaking, and benchtops get wiped down after something has been made each time. I don't want cockroaches and ants in my kitchen, and am paranoid about food poisoning so like to have the kitchen clean.
    Bathroom - only takes 20 minutes to clean. It never goes more than two weeks without being done. Toilets at least weekly.
    Floors get swept twice a day...vacuumed twice a week. Washed every 5 days or so (they got washed daily when we had babies on them).
    Tidy up happens at the end of every day. I hate mess but allow the kids to play how they want through the day...then they take anywhere from 10-30min to clean up at the end of the day.
    Beds are made every day, sheets washed every 1-2 weeks. If beds aren't made I say my house is a tip. I think an unmade bed makes the whole room look messy and it drives me nuts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaf View Post
    My tip is probably the 2 youngest have pulled all their toys out on their bedroom floors, oldest has her dirty washing on her floor and a cup or two in her room. Washing drying on both indoor clothes racks, clean dishes drying on the sink/bench.

The house is vacuumed weekly-fortnightly, main areas swept a couple times a week (all are floorboards). Mopped fort nightly or less (slack off here), bathrooms done weekly (except showers), dishwasher runs daily and usually so does the washing machine. All rubbish and recycling are always in the bin. All dirty dishes go straight in the dishwasher.
    Pretty much the same as this, though the clothes and the cup are from DH (drives me absolutely bonkers), and DH's computer desk.... don't even get me started. I clean the kitchen every morning as well. Nights just don't work for us at the moment because the noise wakes DS in this house (this used to irk me, but I am used to it now. We rinse dishes and cups really well and pots/pans are filled with a bit of water. I sweep daily, and spot mop as required We have a no shoes in the house policy, no outdoor animals coming in, and eat at the table as a general rule, so it doesn't get too bad.