+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default ix35 vs cx5?

We're looking at getting me a new car in the next 6 months or so, and I'm looking to upgrade from my little Elantra to an SUV because we're planning on having a third baby down the track.
    The Hyundai ix35 has been my first choice for a while, because I love my Hyundai, and I'm assuming that since I constantly see them everywhere and everyone seems to have one, they're a pretty great car. But DH suggested today I look at the Mazda cx5 as well, and now I don't know!

Can anyone who has one (or has owned both) of those tell me the great and not so great things about both? Or even another SUV that rules?

The things that I look for, in no particular order are
    - room for 3 car seats across the back (though one of them will likely be a booster seat)
    - decent boot space
    - fun gadgets and storage spaces inside, DVD players in the back headrests would be awesome but definitely not a deal breaker!
    - good fuel economy
    - easy to park! I'm used to my nice little car that fits everywhere, and parking is generally not my strong suit

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on your budget firstly. My best friends hubby is a mechanic and he would go with a Mazda as he has and does fix so many hyundai's. I know he has one of ix35 in his shop atm, only done 20,000kmsband the engine is dead already and needs a new one. I have a holden jackeroo it's 15yrs old though as my folks bought a new challenger last and they are more then happy with it. Only went base model as they don't need all the extras but it still has 3 anchor points in it plus is very roomy (we are a tall family), my DH has a Colorado and is loves it. My next car in a couple yrs will be another 7 seater as we love the extra room they offer and we go away quite often or bring kids home from school and someone always want to sit in the dickie seat in the boot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks budget isn't a huge issue, as long as we're getting good value for money.
    That's interesting about the Hyundais, I assumed they were a nice reliable car considering so many people seem to have them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had to upgrade my cx5 (which I loved - it's a fantastic car) to a Hyundai Santa fa as we just had our third baby and my eldest daughter (not even in a booster) couldn't sit comfortably or safely between the 2 car seats. We even purchased 2 of the smallest car seats on the market to try and make it work. There is no way you would fit 3 car seats in it. Although it looks big enough on the outside the actual back seat is pretty narrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a hyundai ix35.
    Loved it.
    Never had a problem. I have several friends with them now too and they're very happy.
    I can't comment on the cx5 but they look nice too!
    If I was in your position I'd buy the ix35. I think better value for money. We had a bmwx5 after my ix35 and I honestly preferred it over the bmw! Lol
    And the diesel engine in both actually manufactured in same place in Germany. So that's kinda funny. At least that's what I've been told.
    Anywho. .. best thing to do is probably drive both and see which you like the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The CX5 doesn't have a lot of room in the back for a rear facing seat/capsule. My friend had a maxi-Cosi capsule in the back of hers & the passenger seat had to be quite far forward to fit it in (I'm a small person too, not sure how a taller person would go). The boot space is also quite small.
    We looked at cx5, Nissan xtrail & Subaru Forester. We chose the forester. It's a smallish SUV but there's heaps of space for car seats in the back and the boot is fairly generous (my pram and Labrador can both fit in there at the same time!). The rear doors also open out to almost 90 degrees which is great for getting babies in/out.
    I've talked it up so much my mum just bought one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone that's so helpful. I've seen an ix35 in person but not the cx5 so that's good to know about the space. I did look up the dimensions of both, and the cx5 is larger but has quite a bit less boot space so I figured that space had gone into the cabin, obviously not!
    @Georgiesmummy how do you find the Santa Fe?

Might have a look into the forester as well.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have an ix35 and love it! We only have 2 car seats in the back though, I imagine 3 would be tight. Good boot space, easy to park with reverse camera and seat warmers. We went on holiday recently and hired the Santa Fe as we needed 7 seats. It was great too, bit more room than the ix35. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and haven't had any issues with it, touch wood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an ix35, with 3 seats in the back seat. One is a booster seat though. It is a very tight squeeze, and we had the seats professionally installed to get the right configuration. The boot is very roomy and we've had no issues in the 3 years we've had ours. I love it, especially the seat warmers at the moment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can fit 3 carseats in a cx5, but you do have to test out seat styles and configurations, which is pretty standard with most small SUVs or sedans.
    There is actually a really good amount of boot space. We've put 2 large prams, nappy bags and a handful of shopping bags in with ease.

Our last 3 cars (including current) have been Mazdas and I can't fault them. I also don't know of anyone else having issues with their Mazdas.