+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    re reading the baby: I'm struggling with this because he's never around us at meal times so how am I supposed to know he's ready? dinner time we eat after he's in bed, breaky I have in the car in the morning on the go and lunch, well he's usually napping so I can eat in peace

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    re reading the baby: I'm struggling with this because he's never around us at meal times so how am I supposed to know he's ready? dinner time we eat after he's in bed, breaky I have in the car in the morning on the go and lunch, well he's usually napping so I can eat in peace
    Sorry meant to quote, not thank.

Most of this thread has concentrated on the food delivery system (i.e. Spoon fed purées vs finger food and loaded spoons). However there are other key parts of BLW and they are 'food is fun' it doesn't matter how much or how little is eaten but the fun of experiencing food. The other key one is eating together - baby eats what you eat, with you. They learn how to eat by watching and they understand that meals are more than food.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2016),babyno1onboard  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You might need to adapt your meal times. Have an early dinner and eat breakie at home. Not much you can do about lunch but to start with having one or two meals together is enough. Bubs nap times will change over time you'll be able to have lunch together later.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2016),sunnygirl79  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read all the replies, but I did purées with my first 2 and BLW with number 3. BLW was certainly easier in the food prep side of things, and the not stressing about how much they eat thing is really key, but my youngest is nearly 2 now and I don't think he is really a better eater than my other 2. Just my experience.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ary_150916.pdf

It is most definitely still 6 months - this guideline is what ALL health workers should be going from - it's the latest research from 2013 , with updates done last year, still in line with WHO recommendations- any Medical professionals advising otherwise are giving out false information! ( except of course if there is a specific medical reason for that individual child)
    So if anyone tells you differently show them this government document!
    There is recent research indicating that starting solids between 4 and 6 months reduces the risk of children developing allergies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...udy-finds.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Just butting in. We had a paed appt last week and the recommendation has gone back to 4ish months. Specifically to introduce allergens such as egg, nuts and gluten.
    This is also what I was told by my CHN.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Are you implying 21 years ago was back in the old days 😜 ha ha
    Ha ha 21 I wish. Add another decade or so... 😝

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-06-2016),binnielici  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess you need to think about when Bub will be eating when he does start to eat? Do you see it as a separate thing to you, or are you realistically going to have 'family' meal times, eat lunch together/snacks together etc?

Reason I say this is because if you are intending on more of a BLW path, you're going to need to eat in front of him. So that he can watch, learn, become interested and copy what you do. If this isn't logistically possible, it might be very tricky to do BLW.

You need to think about how it's going to fit in with your day too. Solids are messy and slow going whichever way you do them. If you need to rush off at 7:30 in the morning, how are you going to fit in baby breakfast etc? Is it going to be quicker to spoon feed or wait for Bub to demolish (smoosh/squish/paint his face with) a banana and clean up the mess etc? Just another thing to think about.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I guess you need to think about when Bub will be eating when he does start to eat? Do you see it as a separate thing to you, or are you realistically going to have 'family' meal times, eat lunch together/snacks together etc?

Reason I say this is because if you are intending on more of a BLW path, you're going to need to eat in front of him. So that he can watch, learn, become interested and copy what you do. If this isn't logistically possible, it might be very tricky to do BLW.

You need to think about how it's going to fit in with your day too. Solids are messy and slow going whichever way you do them. If you need to rush off at 7:30 in the morning, how are you going to fit in baby breakfast etc? Is it going to be quicker to spoon feed or wait for Bub to demolish (smoosh/squish/paint his face with) a banana and clean up the mess etc? Just another thing to think about.
    Yes this!! Don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to feed a baby solids. Finger food or purées. It takes ages for them to eat, then you need to clean the high chair and potentially mop the floor, wipe down Bub and likely change their clothes (sometimes a bath is needed too).... Agh meal time at our house takes an hour. Hopefully that's not the norm and I'm just slow 😂

18. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post

Agreed!
    As someone who's done both, food equals time. You need to prep, feed, clean up, regardless of which way you go - this is why I wasn't in any great hurry lol!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)