+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You are his mum. It's your call. You know him better than anyone else. If you think he is ready try it. If he isn't you'll know pretty fast! Trust your own judgement. Ignore the pressure if u can.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    everyone has their own brand of advice. mum is telling me rice cereal is the best to start on!? MCHN suggested mashed up banana and my sister keeps questioning me as to why I've changed my mind. I'm loathe to tell them I've started reading the BLW book and want a bit more time to decide. this is getting more judgement than the BF/formula feeding debate!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    it's so insane how fast it's flying by. literally cannot believe it.

thanks for the suggestion of probiotics. where would I find these and in what form is best
    In the chemist. It comes in powder form so you can add to food (if doing purees or even to yoghurt) or milk.

You have bucketloads to choose from. The one I used was from the fridge - do not remember the name though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default purées & spoon feeding or BLW?

The best thing to say to people is that you are waiting until around 6 months which is what the WHO and Australian recommendations are and then I used to say I'm skipping the puree stage as we waited until 6 months and going straight to finger food as Bub has all the physical signs ( which is usually around the 6 month stage - no tongue thrust, pincher grip and sitting unaided ) that he's ready for finger foods

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The best thing to say to people is that you are waiting until around 6 months which is what the WHO and Australian recommendations are and then I used to say I'm skipping the puree stage as we waited until 6 months and going straight to finger food as Bub has all the physical signs ( which is usually around the 6 month stage - no tongue thrust, pincher grip and sitting unaided ) that he's ready for finger foods
    Just butting in. We had a paed appt last week and the recommendation has gone back to 4ish months. Specifically to introduce allergens such as egg, nuts and gluten.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 27-06-2016 at 13:24.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm getting really confused. I keep seeing recent literature which states 6m. but MCHN seems to think 4-6m. what is the current recommendation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    http://who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs342/en/

ok it's here. it's still 6m as far as I can tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Just butting in. We had a paed appt last week and the recommendation has gone back to 4ish months. Specifically to introduce allergens such as egg, nuts and gluten.
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I'm getting really confused. I keep seeing recent literature which states 6m. but MCHN seems to think 4-6m. what is the current recommendation?
    The WHO still recommends 6 months. I do not remember the name off the top of my head but the body of allergy dr ppl (so technical!) have suggested it should be 4 months due to allergies.

Some still say 4 months as it *may* help reflux babies and also *may* help the children who are continuously hungry.

BUT keep in mind your child has to physically be ready. Can they sit unaided? Have they lost tongue thrust (you know how they stick their tongue out for anything near their mouth)? If any of these are no they are physically not ready yet.

So, it is an individual thing. Some babies are ready earlier than others.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default purées & spoon feeding or BLW?

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ary_150916.pdf

It is most definitely still 6 months - this guideline is what ALL health workers should be going from - it's the latest research from 2013 , with updates done last year, still in line with WHO recommendations- any Medical professionals advising otherwise are giving out false information! ( except of course if there is a specific medical reason for that individual child)
    So if anyone tells you differently show them this government document!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2016),Ngaiz  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not that clear cut.

You can start solids from age 4-6 months if bub can raise his chin from his chest, has lost the tongue reflex and can sit unaided, Is interested in food and is showing signs that milk isn't enough.

WHO recommends 6 months based on the fact that the majority of the worlds population live in poor conditions and longer breastfeeding/delayed solids is better for babies than contaminated food and water. This does not apply in countries such as Aust. Much research is based off of this assumption.

Start solids when your baby is ready for solids based on the above, between 4 and 6 months of age.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast