+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default purées & spoon feeding or BLW?

The Australian national health and research council did its own independent studies in 2013 and also came up with the same recommendations so yes it really is clear cut , it just depends if you want to take their advice or not

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2016),Ngaiz  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The Australian national health and research council did its own independent studies in 2013 and also came up with the same recommendations so yes it really is clear cut , it just depends if you want to take their advice or not
    I also believe there is a school of thought (possibly with research??) about the gut flora of babies and the impact solids have.

Pretty much introduce them too early and there may be more problems later (and at the time) with various gut issues.

Which is why I also suggested probiotic as well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default purées & spoon feeding or BLW?

my ds can sit up (supported) and has fantastic head control. his hands are constantly in his mouth. I don't know about the tongue thrust thing. but I still think he's too young.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 27-06-2016 at 16:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That was 3 years ago and things progress pretty quickly hence what I said earlier. I know you're pretty passionate which is great but no, it isn't that clear cut and they are going back to the 4-6 month recommendation because of further research since 2013.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The link I provided was updated in 2015

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    my ds can sit up (supported) but has fantastic head control. his hands are constantly in his mouth. I don't know about the tongue thrust thing. but I still think he's too young.
    And you're the mum! Honestly, if people are asking why you haven't started just tell them that the current recommendations (depending who you ask!) are between 4-6 months so you're going to shoot for somewhere in the middle. If they go on after that, just tell them to bugger off!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-06-2016),Clementine Grace  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016),twinklify  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this thread is a perfect example of how bloody confusing the whole thing is. Honestly it was much easier with DS1 - that was 21 years ago and there was no alternative. You fed purees from 4 months. DS1 could sit not unsupported, I'm pretty sure he hadn't lost his tongue thrust either lol poor baby I just kept wiping his face and spooning it in! I did however not go the rice cereal - I made some up and gagged at the smell so had no intention of giving it to my precious baby. My now ex BIL made him some congee (a chinese rice porridge made with meat stock) instead and he had that as his first food.

I think the recommendations on when to start solids are in a state of flux at the moment. Personally, and as I said in my earlier post when DS3 is born I will just play it by ear to see when he shows signs rather than sticking rigidly to BLW as I did with DS2.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ^ this! So many opinions out there on what is the right age. As if all babies are exactly the same and develop at the same rate?!! No wonder mum's get confused.

Honestly I think we all over analyse it. Pretty sure back in the old days they didn't put this much thought into it. And interestingly the rate of allergies was much lower when I was a kid...

I think trust your instincts. There is no harm in trying now at 4 months, but I don't believe there is any harm waiting either. It's not like introducing solids is some new age science experiment, humans have been doing it since the beginning of time. Without national guidelines!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-06-2016),binnielici  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    ^ this! So many opinions out there on what is the right age. As if all babies are exactly the same and develop at the same rate?!! No wonder mum's get confused.

Honestly I think we all over analyse it. Pretty sure back in the old days they didn't put this much thought into it. And interestingly the rate of allergies was much lower when I was a kid...

I think trust your instincts. There is no harm in trying now at 4 months, but I don't believe there is any harm waiting either. It's not like introducing solids is some new age science experiment, humans have been doing it since the beginning of time. Without national guidelines!
    Are you implying 21 years ago was back in the old days 😜 ha ha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My eldest got fed rice cereal at 4 months (by my mum behind my back).
    My second we tried purees from 4 months but he refused. He took a sausage at about 5 months and so we rolled with it.
    My third couldn't handle food at all until she was 8 months. She vomited everything before then.
    My first two kids fed my fourth a piece of fruit bread while we were in the car. He was 5 months.

So if I have a 5th, the rule is likely going to be, whatever baby takes, whenever baby wants it (within reason of course. I'm not a monster). I wouldn't *pick* what you are going to do just yet. Read the baby.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast