+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started with purées around 5 months but that was a PITA so I switched to blw at 6 months. So much easier! Having said that, I still spoon feed my DD if I'm giving her something like yoghurt or spaghetti bolognese, hardcore blw-ers will do preloaded spoons but I can't handle that much mess - there's enough as it is! But in terms of finger foods, she'll eat toast or cruskits with avocado, vegemite, peanut butter or hummus, steamed veg like carrot, broccoli and asparagus (though she wasn't a fan of asparagus!), raw soft fruits like banana, pear, mandarin, melon and kiwi, raw sticks of cucumber or capsicum, cheese sticks, lamb cutlets, fish, roast veg...basically the only thing you can't feed them is whole nuts (choking risk) and honey (botulism risk). Just make sure your DS can sit up - assisted is fine - with good head control and has lost the tongue thrust reflex.

I'd also recommend investing in some bibs with sleeves

2. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (25-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD we started 4.5 months with purees. She was too young, was disaster and ended up switching to finger food at 6 months.

DS we did BLW from 6 months.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I started a day off 6 months with a cucumber stick covered in goats yogurt , then avocado , then broccoli and sweet potato

I'm glad you have read the book - it really is a great way to feed your baby, really re think starting st 4 months as I truly believe they are not ready physically and breast milk /formula is so much more important at that age and you don't want to reduce that just yet

Have a look on you tube for some BLW videos, it's really the easiest and healthiest way to go ! Their bodies are made to bite and chew , they choose what and how much they want to eat ( I always put a few varieties of foods on his tray )

It takes them a month or two to "get it" but by 9 months DS was eating what we were ( in appropriate sized sizes) and his addiction was olives, prawns, feta cheese , salmon and all veggies! We could take him to any cafe or restaurant and find healthy BLW types of food ( or they adjust it for you) and now at 5 he eats anything and everything with no fuss ( except potato which he's never eaten!)
    But yes the Gil Rapley BLW book was life changing for me, and all my nieces and nephews from then on!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always followed my babies leads. Baby #1 didnt enjoy finger foods, she had a terrible time with gagging (lip tie), but eagerly devoured every spoonful we put in her mouth, so did mostly purees for a long time,beginning at 6 months. Baby #2 had gut issues, so started eating later - more like 8-9 months - & did mostly finger foods & self feeding. Baby #3 had a combination of both mashed & finger foods, from around 6 months. I personally think follow your baby, do what works for them rather than subscribing to a particular 'theory', as not all babies take to solids the same - just because you've read the book doesnt mean that your baby has!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Purees and spoon feeding. I started purees at around 5 mo (veg and fruit purees with a bit of rice cereal mixed in), mashed lumpy food by 6 months (mashed potato and veg, mashed banana and other fruits, warm weetbix etc) and by 8 months he was eating everything including family meals and finger foods. Spoon feeing also meant he ate a huge variety of foods he wouldn't have eaten otherwise as he was more inclined to throw meals on the floor for a very long time. Purees are meant only be fairly short lived (4-6 weeks) as bubs get used to food and then you need to move onto lumpy foods and then normal foods relatively quickly after once they master the lumpy foods.

Personally I am not a fan of blw, it isn't recommended by dieticians as a way to introduce foods and I think the risk of choking is too high in young babies. JMO.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I always followed my babies leads. Baby #1 didnt enjoy finger foods, she had a terrible time with gagging (lip tie), but eagerly devoured every spoonful we put in her mouth, so did mostly purees for a long time,beginning at 6 months. Baby #2 had gut issues, so started eating later - more like 8-9 months - & did mostly finger foods & self feeding. Baby #3 had a combination of both mashed & finger foods, from around 6 months. I personally think follow your baby, do what works for them rather than subscribing to a particular 'theory', as not all babies take to solids the same - just because you've read the book doesnt mean that your baby has!
    This. Totally agree about not subscribing to a particular theory. Personally I don't think for one moment BLW makes better "eaters". The only thing I would say is don't bother with the rice cereal as it has no nutritional value and tastes horrid!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (26-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    BLW.

DS was 5 months 3 weeks, DD was 5 months 2 weeks. I watched for the readiness signs they talk about in the BLW book. Both started on veges (steamed or roasted whatever we were having with dinner). By 8/9 months they were eating what we ate- mess so much mess!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    BLW for the win!! Get the book! It's amazing!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mightymama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymama View Post
    BLW for the win!! Get the book! It's amazing!!
    How is it amazing? What is the long term benefit? My 6 year old eats what we eat, isn't fussy and loves trying new foods. We followed the recommended guidelines, purée, mash then finger foods.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (26-06-2016),VicPark  (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    This. Totally agree about not subscribing to a particular theory. Personally I don't think for one moment BLW makes better "eaters". The only thing I would say is don't bother with the rice cereal as it has no nutritional value and tastes horrid!
    I do question this about BLW too. maybe I've not read enough of the book though

we were all spoon fed with purées etc and none of us were fussy eaters.

I bought some rice cereal a few weeks ago but thinking I prob won't use it now!! oh well.