+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default purées & spoon feeding or BLW?

ds turned 4m today and we had originally planned to start solids tomorrow, going down the purée/mashy foods path. I've started reading a BLW book tonight and am now not so sure about doing the purée thing.

just interested to hear how others introduced solids? how old was your bub when they started solids and what did they start on? in retrospect, do you have any regrets with the method you used?

thanks!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Ds started at 6 months with toast (blw). I don't have any regrets but next time would probably start with vegies. And not stress so much about how much he actually ate. He is a fantastic eater now at 2.5.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (25-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default purées & spoon feeding or BLW?

Dd started with blw at one week short of 6 months. Avocado and broccoli were her first foods. I'm glad we waited and probably wish we'd waited even a little longer. She really seemed to struggle with adjusting to food and her sleep went to pot! I think her gut took ages to get used to every new food.

Eta: she's a great eater now and eats a fabulous range of foods.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Dd started with blw at one week short of 6 months. Avocado and broccoli were her first foods. I'm glad we waited and probably wish we'd waited even a little longer. She really seemed to struggle with adjusting to food and her sleep went to pot! I think her gut took ages to get used to every new food.

Eta: she's a great eater now and eats a fabulous range of foods.
    how was the broc and avo presented? avo just chopped up into small cubes? bro just lightly steamed and florets in front of her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    DD was 6 months and we did the puree thing, starting with rice cereal and going from there.
    DS1 was 5.5 months and we did BLW. His first food was roasted pumpkin - a big chunk that he couldn't shove into his face fast enough!
    DS2 was 7.5 months but he was two months prem and his first food was a stick of cucumber. I did a bit of both with him because the paed was really conscious of his iron stores.

No regrets here. They all eat well and I wouldn't call them massively picky eaters but they definitely don't eat everything!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS1 I started at 5 months after pressure from a MCHN. I tried rice porridge and it was a disaster. A few weeks later I started vege purées and he took them really well, maybe a bit too well as he was eating heaps and stopped having as much breast milk and I ended up with mastitis. He has always been a good eater never had any trouble except that old rice porridge (AKA Clag glue!). The one thing I will do again is to introduce lots of veges before fruit. Once they get the taste for sweet it can be harder to get them to eat the bland stuff.

I am keen to try BLW this time but might do it in combo with some purées I haven't fully decided yet. I will wait until 6 months though, unless he manages to swipe some food off my plate beforehand 😂

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    If you want to pick anyones brain @Elijahsmum is the BLW guru!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (26-06-2016),JR03  (27-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (25-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Started my three at 6 months. Didn't really do proper smooth purees I just mashed things because it was quicker and easier, so they were soft but a bit lumpy. And gave finger foods from the get go. Also used one of those feeding nets for slippery finger foods so that they could suck the juice from fruit etc. No issues with gagging and choking really. I don't think it's necessary to do smooth purees if you start at 6 months. I believe it can be harder to introduce texture later on if everything starts off smooth but of course it depends on the baby and what they prefer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD - I did purees for a week at 5.5 months, found it too much work, and switched to BLW. No regrets. She has always loved pretty much anything (although is getting fussier now at nearly 4).

DS - BLW from about 6 months. We've spoon fed him at times when we don't want to deal with the mess of him eating yoghurt etc., but it's always been him deciding whether and how much he'll eat. He's 1 and will try things maybe 50% of the time; eat them less often...but that's fine. He's breastfed and has that as a fallback option if I'm home.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    how was the broc and avo presented? avo just chopped up into small cubes? bro just lightly steamed and florets in front of her?
    Florets of broccoli steamed well. Avocado cut into fingers. That finger shape (think a bit like a fat chip) is good for little fists to be able to grab and gum.

After that we went to other vegetables and then meat she could suck/gum. I'll never forget the pure joy on her face the day she got her hands on a lamb chop! She was around 7 months.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (25-06-2016)