+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chrostmas planning

in the past I have bought my kids xmas presents etc at the toy sales but this year ive decided not to. Last year they had lost interest in some of the things I had bought and I ended up buying more stuff.
    Thing is, DS's birthday is a week before xmas and DD's is a few days after new year. The great thing about the toy sales is I could layby stuff for xmas/birthdays and pay it off for 6 months.

Ive decided ill be buying gift cards each month until November to stores like kmart/target/bigw and use those for buying presents. I figure if I have $200/$300 that should be enough.

Just thinking though, do you have a xmas planning thing that you do??

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This year for the first time ever I've been putting $20 a week away in prep for Christmas. I also did a small toy layby for safe stuff like Lego. I've started making a lists as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've always bought throughout the year but last year I found my DDs were asking Santa for things I didn't have and I ended up going out the week before Christmas to buy the things they wanted and then I had too much so some things ended up in the present box and became gifts for others. This year I am going to do Santa presents in the two weeks before Christmas and have a shopping day in December to do nieces and nephews etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I usually buy presents only in the last month leading up to Xmas. I'm just not that organised!

OP, I think that's a great idea regarding buying gift cards 👍

I've never done a toy sale layby. My DS changes his interests regularly, so I don't like to choose his gifts too far in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a set budget for everybody so put away the necessary amount into a specific account each fortnight so it's there when I need to buy things. I find there's so many sales at Xmas time as well so don't feel like I loose out. I keep a list of gift ideas over the course of the year too. Shopping is usually done by end November.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I usually buy just before Christmas because kiddo changes his mind as to what he likes. The only safe thing I can buy is lego but everyone buys him lego so there is always that chance of double up.

One thing I will be keeping my eye out for is the simpsons house lego coz I want to buy it when its on sale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op just a suggestion so you aren't stuck with gift cards to places you may not be able too make use of...

What about a prepaid visa? So you could use it anywhere? Just a thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh I really need to do this this year. I am typically somebody who buys maybe in October, November. Having a baby due a month before Christmas means I really need to be organized. Can't really see myself doing my usual shortbread/Chrissie card mail out to family. Maybe DH will do it...
    Not sure on gifts. Thinking about putting away money for an "experience" or little holiday for us all, instead. They have so many toys and clothes already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Op just a suggestion so you aren't stuck with gift cards to places you may not be able too make use of...

What about a prepaid visa? So you could use it anywhere? Just a thought.
    Great idea. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been thinking of grabbing a $20 coles/myer card each time I go shopping. Other then gifts I always spend sooooooo much on food in December!!!! I am going to stop thinking about it an actually do it. Starting next week.....