+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Have you ever 'lost it' in a shop/business?

I'm talking about full-on yelling/telling off someone working in a shop over some sort of issue?

I was waiting for a script at the chemist today and there was a woman at the prescription counter with an elderly man (who it seemed the medication was for) and she was making a massive scene, yelling at the pharmacist. The pharmacist kept his cool and didn't seem to get ruffled, but she was highly confrontational. I overheard her saying something about a mistake made previously, and stating that she didn't want to have to come back to the pharmacy over the weekend.

It got me thinking - have you ever really 'lost it' in a shop/business scenario? If so, do you feel your actions were justified, or do you look back and wished you'd kept your cool?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No never. I have worked in retail all through school and uni and I know people are human and make mistakes. So nope no matter what I don't lose my cool.

Also it helps that as a lawyer I know my rights inside out and usually a quick and calm explanation of what will happen next when I take my problem elsewhere results in it going away.

My main issue has been with returns and that's usually because staff haven't been trained properly.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (24-06-2016),rosey82  (24-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No but I am not confrontational at all.

I don't think I ever had anything bad enough happen to warrant that (although I get its usually a straw breaking the camel's back and its generally not personal).

I have been the person yelled at a few times. Mostly on the phone at work but also when I worked retail/hospitality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never. Though I have been on the receiving end multiple times when working in retail. Some people are extremely quick to anger in situations that do not work as planned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, twice and at the same place! St George Bank - we needed settlement cheques done by a certain time so we could get them to the solicitors so the particular properties could settle - they either didn't get them done in time ( literally waiting for the manager to sign the cheques) or the second time they refused to hand over the cheques to my secretary ( had done this hundreds of times before) so I had to come home from in laws house down the coast when we were on holidays ( this January actually) so I could take a bank cheque out of the new bank managers hand and hand it to my own secretary! This then resulted in the settlements being postponed and very angry buyers and sellers and solicitors all screaming at us! I never went off at the tellers as they don't have the power but the managers do
    We moved our accounts to the NAB and now three times the manager has come down to the office to hand deliver the cheques personally!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you ever 'lost it' in a shop/business?

No. But I have been that person on the other side of the counter many, many times. I've been threatened with all sorts of things, been told I'll get followed home etc. A colleague of mine was set upon by an angry customer in the carpark on his way to his car once (luckily got away).
    It happens EVERY day in the pharmacy. I have found most of the time people are sick, frustrated, have mental health or addiction issues which for me is a mitigating factor.
    So I try to be super nice to anybody in a service role, even if I'm having a crappy day or they made a mistake.
    ETA: halfway through a 10 hour shift & I haven't been yelled at yet. It's been a delightful day so far

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have. I've had a few situations of really bad customer service, as in majorly rude and unhelpful. I haven't shouted or sworn but have assertively said hey this is crap because of xyz. I'm pretty tolerant so I wouldn't lose it over something trivial.
    In general I go out of my way to be super pleasant to shop assistants/service workers. And people in general really. Makes everyone's day nicer to give a smile and say please and thanks for your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016 at 18:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Twice
    Once the shop assistant when right off at my son for touching a shirt. She was really overboard and called him names, threatened to smack him the full works and jerks. I lost it at her.

The second time was in a bank. I lost more at the customer than the teller. They were having a very loud discussion about how they should go hit this kid that would stop crying and screaming. They were going on and on about the mother doing nothing but trying to soothe the kid. The old mothers these days are too sift on kids routine. Well I just lost it and told her how about I hit her since she was just as loud and annoying as the kid except she was a adult and should know better. Than went on about hidden disabilities etc... I was shaking and red faced angry.
    I really don't know what got into me that day. It wasn't even my kid they were taking about.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (25-06-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (24-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yep, twice and at the same place! St George Bank - we needed settlement cheques done by a certain time so we could get them to the solicitors so the particular properties could settle - they either didn't get them done in time ( literally waiting for the manager to sign the cheques) or the second time they refused to hand over the cheques to my secretary ( had done this hundreds of times before) so I had to come home from in laws house down the coast when we were on holidays ( this January actually) so I could take a bank cheque out of the new bank managers hand and hand it to my own secretary! This then resulted in the settlements being postponed and very angry buyers and sellers and solicitors all screaming at us! I never went off at the tellers as they don't have the power but the managers do
    We moved our accounts to the NAB and now three times the manager has come down to the office to hand deliver the cheques personally!
    I work in settlements too and the only time I've really lost my cool with a company was....you guessed it, St George Bank! Very similar reasons. Plus them "losing" a 2 million dollar cheque. Mostly, the reason I've lost my cool with them, has had more to do with their unhelpful attitude than the actual mistake.

Usually, if I get really angry with a company or shop, I get very quiet and state my case firmly. I kind of feel like I "lose" if I start to yell.