+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I know you weren't tefering specifically to me hun 😊. As you say some countries put multiples back at the drop of a hat Australia seems to have very strict rules. Yes the quads are in the US - 4 girls I watch their YouTube page, definitely hard work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @katham I love your matter of fact and positive approach, it is good that you are listening to your body and taking the time you need. PGS is Pre-Genetic Screening basically they take a sample from the embryos and map the Karyotype to make sure there is a 'normal' chromosome number. Some clinics call this PGD or Pre-Genetic Diagnosis, but my clinic refers to PGD as screening for specific genetic abnormalities. The hope of PGS is to increase chances of a viable pregnancy.

NK cells are Natural Killer cells which naturally exist in the uterus, there job is to kill infection and any other 'foreign' cells. They are a normal part of the immune system. When NK cells are elevated it can stop an embryo implanting properly and can cause infertility or recurrent miscarriage. Our bodies are crazy things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ilex View Post
    @Heyside - I didn't realise you put 2 back - so double congrats!

@katham - The rules in Australia are pretty tight re: how many can go back. (Unlike in the US where they tend to do 3 & 4 on a fairly regular basis still.) I believe my clinic will only do it after 3 failed attempts, and there may be some other qualifier. I'm also pretty sure you have to sign a release when it happens.

I'd love twins, but I know IVF twins are slightly higher risk, although "they" don't know why. And you always run the risk of a split. Actually, the nurse that did my 7 week scan said a girl had just come back from South Africa, had 2 put back, and one split. Triplets! That is too many for me thank you.
    Ha ha i never thought about it splitting again and triplets!!! My nanna had a natural pregnancy with quads (MC)...so i have always worried about my risk of multiples! Ive cared for twins and triplets so i know how much more work it is....sometimes I would like twins just so i only need one pregnancy... but then i remind myself that as a single mum it would be too overwhelming😲 haha

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katham For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (10-08-2016),ilex  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by julianicholson View Post
    Hi @katham I love your matter of fact and positive approach, it is good that you are listening to your body and taking the time you need. PGS is Pre-Genetic Screening basically they take a sample from the embryos and map the Karyotype to make sure there is a 'normal' chromosome number. Some clinics call this PGD or Pre-Genetic Diagnosis, but my clinic refers to PGD as screening for specific genetic abnormalities. The hope of PGS is to increase chances of a viable pregnancy.

NK cells are Natural Killer cells which naturally exist in the uterus, there job is to kill infection and any other 'foreign' cells. They are a normal part of the immune system. When NK cells are elevated it can stop an embryo implanting properly and can cause infertility or recurrent miscarriage. Our bodies are crazy things.
    Thanks Julie, so do all embryos get scanned for PGS or just if they need to check the chromosome's due to a family history of specific disorders? Ive not heard anything about it from my clinic.
    And the NK cells, is that again another test if your embryos are not implanting or a normal test done with treatment.
    My ivf counselor told me this journey was like having a new job with lots of learning as you go along... that's certainly the case....all though i think its like we're studying!😉😋
    Thanks teacher Julie😘

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katham For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (10-08-2016),hopefull29  (10-08-2016),julianicholson  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katham View Post
    Thanks Julie, so do all embryos get scanned for PGS or just if they need to check the chromosome's due to a family history of specific disorders? Ive not heard anything about it from my clinic.
    And the NK cells, is that again another test if your embryos are not implanting or a normal test done with treatment.
    My ivf counselor told me this journey was like having a new job with lots of learning as you go along... that's certainly the case....all though i think its like we're studying!
    Thanks teacher Julie
    Sorry to hijack this response.. They do PGS where there has been a few failed cycles to check if abnormal embryos are causing the failure. They do PGD if there is specific disorders in the family. Hope this helps. Google is also a good resource of info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @katham as @nattie84 said PGS and PGD are 'optional extras' your FS will generally suggest it after failed cycles or in our case recurrent m/c.

Same goes with NK cells because I have recurrent m/c they wanted to try and find the cause, increased NK cells are just one of the gazillion things they tested for.
    As you said this is like going back to school, so much to learn and every case really is unique and different clinics have their own procedures etc. It is a rollercoaster of highs and lows. I do find it all very interesting though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thing to consider with PGS & PGD is that you have to do ICSI.

As someone who had much better fertilisation rates naturally, if we'd had to do any testing, we'd have far less embryos to test - if any. PICSI may offset some of that risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ilex - Yes thats the frustrating thing for us we did ICSI as our plan was to do PGD testing. We lost 3 eggs straight away through the process they just disintegrated through the micro injection process, I do wonder what would have happened to them through IVF.
    @pingc383 - For PGD there only needs to be the genetic makeup there from the one egg and one sperm that created the embryo. In ivf the egg is placed in a dish with thousands of sperm and the biopsy they take could involve sperm not used in the fertilisation process and could be not genetically normal therefore giving a false result.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

ilex  (11-08-2016),katham  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Heyside thanks for that. I was about to write I have no idea, LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its just unfortunate @pingc383 I have been at this game so long I have picked up all this information. Usually from the lovely experienced ladies on the bubhub. I just wish I knew what my personal issue was and how to fix it haha!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

hopefull29  (11-08-2016),pingc383  (11-08-2016)