+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Promotion before maternity leave...

So as much as everyone says you're not supposed to be discriminated against because you're pregnant, I can sort of understand a company finding a roundabout way of avoiding promoting someone who's leaving in 4 months.

I'm 18 weeks, finishing up end October. My situation is that my senior manager has resigned, it would be a jump up two positions for me so I never thought twice about not being considered for the role. But my boss mentioned they're not really getting much interest in the role and today I saw on LinkedIn that our company has changed the advert and have downgraded the role. This means that Im eligible and I'm definitely due for a promotion, but nobody has said a word to me or anyone else in the company.

I have my performance review tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should sell myself into that role or take the hint and make peace with the fact that they haven't approached me. Part of me feels it's a clear message that they don't want me in that role but with no clear reason besides being pregnant, the other part of me thinks what have I got to lose by asking? I would love to make the most of my last few months and push myself in case I don't end up going back to that job.

Something my boss said to me the other day was in response to work load and was along the lines of 'the last thing I want is for you to be under unecessary extra stress given your situation'. So is she possibly not offering it to me because she's worried it'll be too hectic and is that her call to make? In that same chat she told me that I'm a very valuable asset to the company and assured me that when I return to work it would be in a more senior role so it's not like she thinks I'm not suitable.

Advice please! Thanks ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think there are any negatives to putting yourself out there and going for it, if you think you'll be able to do the role and come back to it after the baby is born.
    All they can do is say no, they don't think you're suitable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. Yes, you should apply and put your best foot forward. You sound very competitive for the role, given your experience. Let the recruitment process happen. Try not to listen to comments. If you would like the role, go for it. Also, how would you end up in a more senior role when you return from mat leave without going through recruitment?? Not sure what your boss means by that??

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want the job, definitely ask and sell your self into it!
    I've just had a similar exp, started my new role weeks ago and go on leave at the end of Sept! At the end of the day they needed to replace me regardless of what role I was in. Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely go for it, so they know you're keen on advancement. You might not get this one simply because they don't want to train someone then train someone else to take their place. But it can't hurt to promote yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice go for it! Go for anything you want in this life because time is really too short!!

Not quite the same as a promo but I applied for a government job in Jan this year didn't get a call till march for an interview by which time I had fallen pregnant then got a call in April for a start in May
    My baby is due September but I'm happily working away in a new very enjoyable job for our federal government for the next couple of months till I go off on mat leave

Thanks
    Reviews
    As an employer I think it's unfair to go for a promotion and have them train you in the role if you have no intention of returning after maternity leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope I don't get flamed for this but if it were me (and ironically I'm in a similar position at the moment) I would not go for it because I don't necessarily think it's in the best interest of the business or those that you would be managing. From a business continuity point of view, putting someone in a senior manager role requires a solid 6 weeks to have a proper hand over and understand the business, its operating rhythm plus getting to know stakeholders and how each person responds to different management styles. Really you would be looking at least 2 months before you were fully functional in the role (depending on the complexity of the role and how you define senior manager - usually a manager that is running a team of managers). Essentially at that point you would then need to start the same handover process with your replacement.

I don't think pregnant women should be discriminated against by any means but applying for a senior role at this time will disrupt the business and people a great deal and as a manager myself, I wouldn't want that for them so wouldn't apply for it knowing I wouldn't be around long enough to embed myself for my replacement stepped in.

I've been asked to take over a different position but my executive manager doesn't know I'm pregnant yet so once I have raised that with them I will then re-discuss what that would mean for the business if I took the offer because from where I'm standing it means causing instability in a new space where I could spend my time setting my team up for when I do go on leave instead.

I hope this makes sense. I'll finish this by saying, I don't think the decision should be taken away from you by your employers (at all) and I think your decision should be the only reason you don't have a crack at the role. If you do go for it then I wish you all the best for your interview 😊

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

MUG81  (25-06-2016),nattie84  (24-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your input and sorry for long reply! I should probably have mentioned that I work in advertising so it's a very different structure to most organisations. Being promoted does not usually require much training, you are 'groomed' to be ready for promotion and promotions happen regularly. It's more about the work you do in each role.

I had my performance review today and after discussing that I want to make the most of my last few months before maternity leave to develop my skills, my boss agreed that she would be happy to start involving me in tasks that I would be doing if I'm in a management role. She mentioned that they are struggling to find a good candidate to replace my current manager so I decided to propose to them that they should consider putting me in that role for the next few months, buying them more time to find the right person. She was honest and said she hasn't considered it because then she'll have to go through the process again in 4 months. Technically this is not a reason to exclude me from applying but I do understand where she's coming from and would rather they say that than try spin another reason as a cover up. But I did tell her she has to find a replacement for me in a few months anyway, and it would be a much easier transition to put me in that role now, having worked on this account for almost 2 years, more than qualified and experienced for the job, then I can handover to someone. Rather than her havin to train a completely new person (and until she finds that person, I'll probably being doing parts of the job anyway).

So bottom line is, if I weren't pregnant they'd very likely consider me for the role. Either way, my boss is amazing and so supportive in helping me achieve my goals. She said she'll get back to me early next week but even if I don't get it, I know that she'll do her best to help me achieve what I want to before I head off to put me in a good place to return to work when I'm ready.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

TortoiseNotTheHare  (24-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Also, how would you end up in a more senior role when you return from mat leave without going through recruitment?? Not sure what your boss means by that??
    I forgot to reply to this question, I work in advertising and there's a general rule of thumb about how long you stay in a role. I was promoted 8months into starting as a junior and I've now been in the more senior role for a year. One role up from mine requires 2-3 years experience in an agency and I have 3 and a half years experience because I've worked in another agency before this one. So they understand it's time for me to move up and they've said that unless I want to, they don't see me coming back to my current role as I would be ready for something more challenging by then. It would also allow for flexi time because they can assign me certain projects to manage. Whereas my current role is a support to a manager for which flexi time wouldn't be ideal. So basically they're looking to create a role specifically for me to return to, which I am extremely fortunate to have.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (25-06-2016)