+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nicknames or lack thereof

Have there been names that you absolutely loved but still crossed off of your list because of a potential nickname you didn't like, or perhaps because you couldn't think of a nickname for it at all?

Just curious how important nicknames are to different people as it's something i struggle with sometimes (currently working on name lists).

I had all sorts of terrible and silly nicknames growing up (due to a surname though) but i guess i (mostly) took it in my stride. Got tiring though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've always hated that my name is un-nickname-able. Our language shapes our perception of the world, and (IMO) using a nickname for someone helps build a sense of familiarity and friendliness. While leaving a more formal name for one's professional life or less close relationships

DS actually had his nickname first, then "proper" name chosen to match. Future children will definitely need names with good nicknames too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, I've crossed so many off the list because of what they will be shortened to. It's not that nicknames are super important to me, but I think it's unrealistic in Australia to hope the name won't be shortened if it can be (and even if you think it can't, most often people will come up with something!)

Even my dogs have about 10 nicknames each. They respond to all of them.

I'm leaning towards fairly short names, for our baby, for this reason I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of our kids names have normal shortened nicknames. One has a slightly odd shortened nickname and my eldest who has a single syllable first name, has his name lengthened to 3 syllables as a nickname. We didn't really factor them into our choices but we did discuss it to make sure there was nothing horrid that could come from them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We tried to take nicknames into account. Our boys have 1 syllable names which are nicknamed by their school friends by adding a 'ee' sound on the end. Eg: Jack 'ee'. Daughter shortens straight down to 'Max'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Even my dogs have about 10 nicknames each. They respond to all of them.
    My cats have LOTS of nicknames. Jeff is pretty dumb, he can't even comprehend his own name, but Frank comes to "doodle" and "Franklin" hehe.

Our chosen name, I actually don't like the nickname version. But we are still keeping the name and requesting that people not use that name with us. Whatever he chooses in the future is up to him. And who knows, maybe that nickname will grow on us in time. Or a new nickname will present itself and stick.

I think nicknames are very important, but they're not going to deter me from something I love.

My name doesn't nickname and I did feel like I was missing out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (23-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a name that can't really be shortened to a nickname. My parents called me Possum, or Poss, as a nickname.
    I've got a friend with a hyphenated name, where both the names individually could even be shortened. No one ever calls her anything but her actual name. She didn't want to be called anything else. If some one shortened her name, she gently corrected them the first time, and they never did it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've definitely crossed names off the list because of the inevitable nickname that would be used.

I think nicknames are important as in some cases it follows you into adulthood and is all you are known by - as happened with my name/nickname.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely took nicknames into account. When my parents chose their children's names they intentionally picked ones that didn't lend themselves to nicknames. I hated it! I always wanted to have the option of a nickname. So with dd it was really important it was something that has the option of a nickname. Funnily enough we tend to use her full name anyway.