+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What would you take?

Hi all, not a juicy topic but we are moving interstate for an 8 month stint for work. Family of 4 with 2 under 2 .

We recently moved into this house and still have a few boxes to unpack but certainly liveable.

I am not uprooting everything, my thoughts are buy second hand essentials here to send over (dining room set, couch, beds. Then rent white goods over there. I don't know where to start. I need someone with an organised brain to kickstart my planning!! Please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    When moved overseas for 10 months we just took our clothes and brought the bare essentials secondhand.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would you be able to rent a furnished house at your destination? That might save a lot of time and effort.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Would you be able to rent a furnished house at your destination? That might save a lot of time and effort.
    We have 2 dogs, very limited options in Sydney unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A long shot, but would you leave your dogs behind at home with immediate family as it would make it a lot easier for you to find something as practical aswell. Getting something in Sydney with 2 dogs may limit where you want to live also as having a yard would be on the list for them

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really an option to leave them behind. There are several properties that are pet friendly but unfurnished. Those of you in Sydney, are the buy/sell/swap FB pages good? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take essentials then buy really cheap furniture to start off with. That way if you decide to move back you haven't out laid a lot of money or if you decide to stay you can upgrade as you go. When younger my parents did this. We didn't have a dining room table (had camping table and camp chairs) no lounge (had bean bags and blow up bed when we wanted to watch movies). They didn't get a washing machine we used laundromat or hand washed clothes. They bought a cheap second hand fridge.

when we moved back home they just gave the beds away (cause they got them really cheap) sold the fridge really cheap and gave stuff to op shop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be more inclined to just buy secondhand things off buy swap sell pages or gumtree once you got to Sydney. Are you driving over with your car? You could make it even cheaper by hiring a trailer and putting as much stuff as possible in the trailer to tow over if you are driving? We did this when we moved interstate and had a 6 month wait for our other furniture to arrive.